Sending picture text (MMS) during a call and on wi-fi?

shiggity80

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new here and apologize if I'm not posting in the right place or reposting a question.

Just had a quick question regarding Sprint and iPhone 5. I know that with Sprint, there is no simultaneous voice and data unless you have wi-fi going for your data.

Earlier tonight, I was on the phone with my gf and I tried sending her a picture text (mms) and it kept saying "not delivered". She tried to send me an mms as well during the call and I never received it on my end. However, the moment I hung up the call, I received her mms and my mms was sent to her.

Now, I realize that if I were only on 3G or LTE for my data, I would not be able to send the mms to her while on the phone. However, I was connected to my home wi-fi the whole time so shouldn't the mms go through the wi-fi?

Appreciate any help with this.

05GT

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about Sprint, but I know when I'm connected to wifi with my AT&T phone. The wifi icon goes away and 4G pops up if I send a pic during a call. That leads me to believe that MMS are only sent on the carriers data network.

shiggity80

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about Sprint, but I know when I'm connected to wifi with my AT&T phone. The wifi icon goes away and 4G pops up if I send a pic during a call. That leads me to believe that MMS are only sent on the carriers data network.

Thanks for the reply. It sound like mms are sent through carriers data network only.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't do that on Verizon, so I'm assuming you can't do it on Sprint. I could be wrong though!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

You are correct. Sprint and Verizon both share the fact that you can't simultaenously use voice and data (3G or 4G) at the same time. I guess MMS are sent only through carrier's data networks as suggested by NavyGeek

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
MMS are sent through your carrier's messaging system using a 2G/3G/4G data connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shiggity80

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
If you both had iPhones and were using iMessages rather than MMS, then that would've used the wifi. As stated above though, SMS and MMS use the carrier's data network and therefore can't be done at the same time as voice.

I see. That makes sense too b/c the person I was sending and receiving mms from was on t-mobile and thus was just regular texts (green text bubble in imessage) and not imessage (blue text bubble).

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Cyle Kaercher

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I are on Sprint, she can send pics and use data while on a call using her Android, I still can't with my iPhone 5s, is there any fix for this yet?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh