iPhone 5 proximity sensor not working

dale225

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Since I got the iPhone 5 I have noticed that I do frequently butt dial. Today I was working on my wife's phone and when I put my finger on the proximity sensor the screen goes dark and I cannot accidentally touch the screen and activate an app. On my device however I put my finger up there and I can start apps, dial a number, play games as if I didn't cover the sensor. I had the problem with iOS 6 and after the update with iOS 6.0.1

I'm wondering now, is this common or just my luck that the proximity sensor is damaged?

anon(2353369)

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Since I got the iPhone 5 I have noticed that I do frequently butt dial. Today I was working on my wife's phone and when I put my finger on the proximity sensor the screen goes dark and I cannot accidentally touch the screen and activate an app. On my device however I put my finger up there and I can start apps, dial a number, play games as if I didn't cover the sensor. I had the problem with iOS 6 and after the update with iOS 6.0.1

I'm wondering now, is this common or just my luck that the proximity sensor is damaged?

Try and take it to Apple and explain the issue to them, I haven't had a problem with the proximity sensor with my iPhone 5 and I'm running iOS 6

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk

dale225

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I just tried to turn on Siri raise to speak and it's not working. It's definitelly the proximity sensor. I'll try a reset but I doubt it will work.

dale225

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Its more than 30 days now. Still, isn't it 1 year?

I just restored it, still dead proximity sensor. I'll be at the apple store tomorrow.

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I had no idea the proximity sensor was supposed to disable the touch features and darken the screen. When I cover the area above the screen I'm able to tap on things and the screen stays lit.

anon(2353369)

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I had no idea the proximity sensor was supposed to disable the touch features and darken the screen. When I cover the area above the screen I'm able to tap on things and the screen stays lit.

I believe when you are on a call the screen goes blank to your ear, isn't that right?

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
When on a phone call your proximity sensor should react and darken the screen of your phone.

OP: If you're within one year you should be able to go to Apple, or whatever wireless carrier you purchased the phone from and get it fixed or replaced. I asked if you're within 30 days because most of the time if not always you can return the phone - then purchased another. (Obviously the longer & more complicated option than the other).

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Well if OP made a phone call and the screen didn't go dark when the phone is held to his ear, the sensor is more than likely faulty. If he made a phone call and the screen DID go dark, then perhaps it's settings?

I don't think he was in a call when he was trying to activate the sensor. He was just covering it while on home screen.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2