"Other" taking up too much space

Edmilan

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I was syncing my phone when i noticed that the yellow division of the bar at the bottom of itunes, the one named Other, is taking up 3.7gb of my space. And since i'm only on a 16gb phone, this is a big thing. How do i clear that "other" thing and reclaim back the used space? Tried a factory reset but it would come back again in a week

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Other refers to all information that is not in the other categories. It may be documents, emails, contacts. It can't be fully removed, but can be managed in the individual app usage in Settings > General > Usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edmilan

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I tried unsyncing everything from music to apps, videos, photos, etc. So my phone was basically empty except for the "Other" which was taking up 3.7gb. Will try managing in settings though, thanks

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I've had this happen to me a couple times and the only fix that worked for me was restoring the iPhone. If I remember correctly this was when I was jailbroken on my 4 and 4S though...

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
it's Data from your apps...Also Notes,Saved Texts,Emails, Pictures you use for caller ID, Downloaded stuff like Podcasts from 3rd party apps like Twit,Sticher...it's a combo of lots of things

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem before and restoring will solve it. Also "other" can be files from interrupted iTunes syncs, pictures and videos sent and received via text or iMessage (at least for me it does), and emails and attachments from the mail app to name a few.
I used ifunbox to solve my problem but a restore is a lot easier to do

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Like others have said, I've found that a restore is the only way to bring it down, although (for me) once you hit around 0.85 GB restoring doesn't seem to do much. It's probably just system files, email attachments, app data, etc.

Edmilan

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes it's probably app data, but i don't think all that data combined would take up 3.7gb of my space, since when i checked the usage in settings and added them all up, it didn't even reach 1gb. I read in other forums that the "Other" took up nearly 8gb of their space.

isra950

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
The "other" is cached Internet pages!! Go to settings, safari, scroll down to advanced, website data, then scroll to " remove all website data". And after that you'll notice how much space you free up. I do it at least once a week and clear 1.5 gigs at the LEAST. Let me know if it works for you.

nikups

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I was syncing my phone when i noticed that the yellow division of the bar at the bottom of itunes, the one named Other, is taking up 3.7gb of my space. And since i'm only on a 16gb phone, this is a big thing. How do i clear that "other" thing and reclaim back the used space? Tried a factory reset but it would come back again in a week

You do not need to do a factory reset to clear up "Other" space. All you have to do is go under Settings>Safari>Advanced and clear the website data . Or go thru the website data and clear the individual ones you want gone. I did this and it took 2.8 gb off of the 3.1 I had in "Other". Although it won't clear up all the space in "Other" it will give you a significant reduction. It's a lot easier than doing a Reset. Hope this helps.

SandeepRoy

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

You can also use iCleaner(if jailbroken) or PhoneClean from time to time.

con esg

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
For non jailbreakers, I had updated to 6.1.3 on 4S today, with 3.44 GB of "yellow" other space still remaining after the update. Best way to truly get rid of this "other space" is to back up your phone then restore. After restoring, back up your phone with the most recent one. My other space went from 3.44 GB to 0.88 (very reasonable for updated [IOs] phones).

Good luck!

Pfusion

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue - lots of 'other' space used (3.75 gb). I backed up to icloud then did a restore. Still using 2.47 gb but now my desktop space went from 15 gb available to 5.89 gb available. I did a search for my iphone figuring that it had somehow dumped a lot of data but nothing came up. Anyone have an idea? Thanks.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR