Apple care on the 5 worth it?

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
It's 50/50 for me. Great if something does happen not if nothing happens to your phone and just spent $100 for nothing. I say it's good if you are keeping your phone for 2+ years. I upgrade every year so no point of apple care for me. $229 without apple care to replace if something happen which is only $80 more if you do have apple care ($100 fee + $50 replacement). If nothing happens to my phone then I just lost $100!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I love apple care, $ 50 and you get a brand new ( not refurbished ) phone, 2 claims allowed. I use one even if I scratch the phone. I just tell apple the battery is no good and they swap out the phone no questions asked and it covers water damage

does it say anywhere in their info that it's "brand new"? they swap it out sure, but I don't know that they're always going to be brand new. They come in their own box w/o accessories, cords, etc. Also the $50 is for accidental claims, ie drops, water, etc. if it's warranty you're not limited to two.

I have it on mine. Didn't on my first phone (original iPhone) and had to pay $200 to replace it when something went funky after the first year. Got it on my second one (iPhone 4) and used it while on vacation when my power button flaked out. We just went to the local Apple store and they swapped it out. iCloud brought it back to life :)

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I think it's worth it. I never got it before and never had any major breakage, but......I have it now and I feel a lot better. I feel like I don't need a case now and can always replace the phone for $50.

MrszBerry

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I didn't get apple care. I'm living dangerously. I have no case on it either. I'm waiting for the hurricane to pass so I can go out and buy one

koup

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I bought one because no matter how hard I try I know I will drop it.

I'd Rather have it and not need it then ....we'll you get the idea

Thorasgar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Apple Care+ doesn't cover water damage. Make sure you read the details. I've always had AC for peace of mind.

AC does not cover water IMMERSION but does cover water damage. I guess the genius gets to decide the difference. Just don't tell them about the crocodile.

I decided to try the Best Buy plan. Have a 64gb wifi. With no deductible and unlimited claims I am going to try and go naked. ( only one battery replacement ). BB will give you a loaner phone for the 3-5 days for repair, but I will just revoke my i4 back from my son until it is fixed. Hope it works out.

nmeredith13

Jan 2, 2009
Visit site
If someone is charging you $150 to replace the front screen, that is crazy. I had a friend replace mine, parts cost $30. So I would think labor included no more expensive than $50 to replace it. It didn't take my friend who replaced my broken screen long at all... I know there are tutorials on how to replace it yourself online, just order the parts :)

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Not for me...but might be for you. It's hard to answer whether something is worth it to someone besides yourself. I've never bought Apple Care on my iPhone's, but if you're buying a Macbook, i HIGHLY recommend it.

Totally agree. Very much worth it on the Macbooks.

MANdroidd

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
most definitely worth it. you may be able to get repairs done for a similar price elsewhere but the warranty coverage on any hardware defects is what i appreciate the most. volume button issue? power button issue? home button issue? screen issue? Just walk in and walk out with a fully functioning one!

mabmarc

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I didn't get the apple care or apple care+. I dropped my phone from about 1ft off the ground yesterday and it made a hair line crack in the upper left corner about 2 inches long. I had a rocketfish case on it. It is small and doesn't cover the front. I think it pancaked on the floor and sharp piece of debris cracked the screen.

I took it to the apple store and the check in guy said it would be $199 to replace the phone and to wait for the "Genius" to come out. He came out and took a look and said it didn't look like it was dropped. So he replaced it for free. :D

This is the first time I have broken a screen on any of my phones. I am glad I didn't pay for the apple care. I would rather take the chance and pay the $199 if I need it. It is only $50 more than if I had bought the apple care at the get go. I also found out that in the same mall I was at there was a store called iFixit iRepair. They would have fixed the screen for $150 which is the same as the apple care warranty. So if it happens again and apple doesn't fix for free I would take it to the mall store or just fix it myself.

CPUGEEK

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I already bought a cheap replacement screen on standby. If I break it I can replace it asap only cost $40. if i never use it then i will buy a cracked screen iphone and make it aprofit

auditman

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Its $50 per incident that is not covered by warranty. Not $150. Make sure u get applecare + for 4s and 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I didn't get the apple care or apple care+. I dropped my phone from about 1ft off the ground yesterday and it made a hair line crack in the upper left corner about 2 inches long. I had a rocketfish case on it. It is small and doesn't cover the front. I think it pancaked on the floor and sharp piece of debris cracked the screen.

I took it to the apple store and the check in guy said it would be $199 to replace the phone and to wait for the "Genius" to come out. He came out and took a look and said it didn't look like it was dropped. So he replaced it for free. :D

This is the first time I have broken a screen on any of my phones. I am glad I didn't pay for the apple care. I would rather take the chance and pay the $199 if I need it. It is only $50 more than if I had bought the apple care at the get go. I also found out that in the same mall I was at there was a store called iFixit iRepair. They would have fixed the screen for $150 which is the same as the apple care warranty. So if it happens again and apple doesn't fix for free I would take it to the mall store or just fix it myself.

Its $50 per incident that is not covered by warranty. Not $150. Make sure u get applecare + for 4s and 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point that mabmarc was making was that the AppleCare+ cost $99 and the replacement under AC+ for physical damage replacement is $49 ... meaning that if he had bought AC+ and replaced his phone under its provision, he would have spent $150 (actually $148, but we’re rounding up)... by NOT buying AC+, if Apple had charged him for the replacement/repair, their cost would have been $199... net difference of $50 (actually $51 without the rounding issue)... so by NOT buying AC+, he was simply risking having to spend an extra $50 at the time he got the repair/replacement done. As it is, he saved the full $199...

Remember, AC+ is simply an insurance policy... and all insurance is based on risk/probability that you will do something that will make that investment worthwhile. In a nutshell, you are betting $148 that YOU WILL destroy or damage your phone within the first 2 years...

asuperstarr

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Each are different. The insurance is good for theft or your phone being lost. The care is if you phone is damage or hardware problems.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
The point that mabmarc was making was that the AppleCare+ cost $99 and the replacement under AC+ for physical damage replacement is $49 ... meaning that if he had bought AC+ and replaced his phone under its provision, he would have spent $150 (actually $148, but we?re rounding up)... by NOT buying AC+, if Apple had charged him for the replacement/repair, their cost would have been $199... net difference of $50 (actually $51 without the rounding issue)... so by NOT buying AC+, he was simply risking having to spend an extra $50 at the time he got the repair/replacement done. As it is, he saved the full $199...

Remember, AC+ is simply an insurance policy... and all insurance is based on risk/probability that you will do something that will make that investment worthwhile. In a nutshell, you are betting $148 that YOU WILL destroy or damage your phone within the first 2 years...

Just to add......
I believe the $199 price to repair is the price for 16gb model. It goes up if you have higher capacity models.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

i8paste

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
AC for MacBook/ iMac. For iPhone 5 I use Verizon's insurance at 10$ a month. Now they will attempt to give you a "refurb" for replacement, all you need to do is contact loyalty number (different from CS) tell them what's going on etc... And get a new one sealed ;)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I still swear by SquareTrade. $99 for two years - or get a 3 year warranty for $129. Up to 4 repairs/replacements. Now they'll allow you to take your phone to an Apple store for service, so it's win/win. And that includes drops and spills.

No, I'm not affiliated with them. Just appreciate a great company.

Want $10 off your warranty? Referrals Landing | SquareTrade

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73