I have had the 4, 4S, and now the 5

It seems that the glass screen scratches easier on the 4S
    and the 5.

I had a 4 for over a year and beat the crap out the phone,
    I'm a carpenter and kept the phone in my tool belt. I never had a single
    scratch on the 4.

On my 4S and 5 I scratched the screen within a week.

I have scratches all over my 5 and I baby it.

I know apple used helicopter windshield glass on the 4 but I think they switched glass on the newer phones.

Does anyone have any insight on this.

Thanks
    KNIGHTRIDER likes this.
    10-24-2012 06:15 PM
    It is widely known that Corning provides Gorilla Glass to Apple for it's touchscreens. The glass on the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S should be the same. The iPhone 5 probably uses Gorilla Glass 2, but according to Corning, the newer version is just as scratch resistant.
    10-24-2012 09:44 PM
    I know apple used helicopter windshield glass on the 4 but I think they switched glass on the newer phones.
    Hope not. Many are plexiglass. (I'm an aircraft mechanic.)
    10-25-2012 01:16 PM
    The iphone 5 uses a gorilla glass 2 which is better than gorilla glass 1 used on older devices. So i doubt it scratches more. The scratches you are seeing are most likely hairline scratches on the oleophobic coating of the screen. Which are mostly noticeable under bright lights. The glass is most likely not scratch if it is you will see the scratch when the screen is on. I noticed the 5 coating scratches much easier. I have half an inch scratch within a day and I baby my phone. On the 4s, I used it all year with no screen protector and barely scratch the oleophobic coating. Because of this I order sgp ultra clear screen protector knowing how easy the coating scratches on the 5.

Who has hairline scratches already?
    10-25-2012 02:08 PM
    that is annoying, why should it scratch easier...

Screen covers are even more annoying..

my 4 was bomb proof, Id take that anyday over a smudge resistant/ scratch easy coating....
    10-25-2012 02:14 PM
    that is annoying, why should it scratch easier...

Screen covers are even more annoying..

my 4 was bomb proof, Id take that anyday over a smudge resistant/ scratch easy coating....
    I agree I never put on screen protectors before and I hate them. With this possible issue, I might have to put one on cause the hairline scratches bothers the hell out of me!
    10-25-2012 02:16 PM
    You obviously don't baby it if you have scratches on the screen...the last scratched screen I had was on my 3GS, and it was from a clip in my pocket that scratched it when i was doing a firearms qualification and went down on a knee, crushing it against the full clip. I don't baby my phones at all...and run case-less 85% of the time, so your "babying" must be some very skewed definition of what most of us understand "babying" as.

If it's annoying you so badly, sell it and go back to the 4, lol. You're obviously doing something to scratch the screen so maybe better personal habits will help you.
    10-25-2012 03:45 PM
    Sean... thanks for telling me Im not babying my phone. Your basically an *****..
    10-25-2012 08:57 PM
    Wow, this has gotten off track !
    Couple of questions, I'd like to see the confirmation of gorilla glass 2 on the iPhone 5.
    2) if the first question is true then does the coating on the 5 scratch easier because it is not a good match for the gorilla glass 2, or did they change the coating (why would they ?)
    10-25-2012 09:11 PM
    Good point Jerome. Ignore the idiots lol
    10-25-2012 09:53 PM
    I dont understand why they would change the coating either, like I said I never scratched my 4 and did not " BABY " it at all.

but please if someone has a definition of babying, Im all ears.....
    10-25-2012 11:20 PM
    I dont understand why they would change the coating either, like I said I never scratched my 4 and did not " BABY " it at all.

but please if someone has a definition of babying, Im all ears.....
    Generally, carrying it on a tool belt is not babying it.
    10-26-2012 12:06 AM
    Jeeeze !!!! do people read anymore ???

I wrote : I had a 4 for over a year and beat the crap out the phone,
    I'm a carpenter and kept the phone in my tool belt. I never had a single
    scratch on the 4.

I stated that I beat the crap out of the phone, where does it say I babied the phone ???

I stated that I baby my 5 since its new and there are scuff issues.

in my second post I stated that I did NOT baby my 4 , why is this so difficult for some readers....

With a name like Droid, Id expect nothing less.....
    10-26-2012 12:25 AM
    Off topic but it still amazes me how droid users browse iPhone forums lol. I never put a foot on their forums, come to think of it I've never had. Lol.
    10-26-2012 12:37 AM
    I'm a carpenter and kept the phone in my tool belt. ... I have scratches all over my 5 and I baby it.
    Don't call Sean an ***** if he is reading what everybody else is reading... Reason #1 you don't "baby" your phone is you leave it in your carpenter's belt.

Just trying to keep the peace here, I can see where Sean said what he said.
    10-26-2012 06:47 AM
    Sean... thanks for telling me Im not babying my phone. Your basically an *****..
    Oh ok, your screen just scratches easier than every other person's on the planet. Gotcha...

My nephew has an iPod Touch, and he feels he takes good care of it (though it's quite beat up), you remind me a lot of him, he's 6.

P.S. - *You're (though i really shouldn't come down on you too much for the grammatical error, i don't think they cover contractions until 2nd or 3rd grade. You'll get there little buddy, just keep trying!)
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 10-26-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    10-26-2012 08:26 AM
    You know (not that i really need to prove my case otherwise given your oh so "brilliant" response earlier...But...), i was just reading about your experience with Apple Care in another thread on here, where you said something to the effect of loving to have it because when you scratch the iPhone, you can just bring it back and use Apple Care and tell them the battery is bad so that you can get yourself another one that is scratch free.

This tells me that A.) You've got enough experience with scratching your iPhone's to have a plan to scam Apple using their warranty system to replace a phone that has been cosmetically damaged, and B.) You're the type of person that takes pride and brags about doing such things (which speaks worlds about you).

Just wanted to put this out there, i felt it spoke pretty well towards how you take care of your phones (or better put, your lack of care).
    olliegrl likes this.
    10-26-2012 08:49 AM
    Off topic but it still amazes me how droid users browse iPhone forums lol. I never put a foot on their forums, come to think of it I've never had. Lol.
    Veery old screen name. iPhone user and a happy one at that.
    10-26-2012 03:43 PM
    Veery old screen name. iPhone user and a happy one at that.
    My question is who gives a sh*t really? A droid fan can't be an iPhone fan too? It's like saying PC users shouldn't come here because we have a section dedicated to macs.

Nonsense.
    olliegrl likes this.
    10-26-2012 04:32 PM
    Same kind of Droid-bigotry that that geezer Ben Kenobi was pulling ... These are not the Droids you are looking for ...
    10-26-2012 04:50 PM
    my favorite internet arguments: "you're an *****" and "with a name like ___ i shouldn't expect anything anyway". it's the best way to use up bandwidth without making a point.

I've had my 4 for almost 2 years now and it's fine all over. my SG3 screen scratched from keys in my purse after a couple weeks. /shrug
    10-26-2012 06:24 PM
    my favorite internet arguments: "your an *****"
    Fixed. Since people who "say" that never seem like they can spell.

Follow me on the Twitter! @_jorts
    olliegrl likes this.
    10-26-2012 07:27 PM
    Once again Jeeze, does anyone read in here. I NEVER said that I keep my i5 in a tool belt , I said that I kept my i4 in tool belt why is this so difficult to understand....

Sean thanks for the english help, your still an ***** though...

Sean...why do you think there is something wrong with putting in an insurance claim ???? That is why you get insurance isn't it. The way I leaned of the battery excuse was from a guy at the apple store, I wanted to replace my scratched old 4s for a new one but I figured I would ask the apple tech if they donate working phones, he told me no, he then told me to break the screen and come back, I looked at him oddly, then he said he would just input bad battery for replacement and gave me a new phone. Why is the " bad " I think sean is just bored with his life so he just trolls around being a DicHK..

All I did was ask if the iphone 5 had different glass, I don't see why Sean has a stick up his ARSE about my insurance practices, seems like someone needs to get a life outside of this forum...

Anyway the simple point was.... my iphone 4 screen held up much better than the i4s and i5, if I knew I would be told " what babying was" I would have saved my thoughts...

Sorry for posting.... Lets keep posting for things like .....look at my wallpaper and look at my home screen, because those are the things that really matter....

Sean I will wait for your witty response...
    10-26-2012 08:51 PM
    Claiming something is wrong with your phone that is, in fact, not an issue is insurance fraud.

Apple may choose to ignore it but it is still fraud. You may choose to ignore the moral issue, but you shouldn't get upset when someone points that out.

To the original topic at hand, I've had the 4, 4S, and 5 and have noticed no difference in the scratch resistance of the glass.
    10-26-2012 09:16 PM
    If Apple ignores it ... Im in, sorry.

Guess I have moral issues as well as spelling issues.

Im sure millions of people submit apple care claims for scratching or damaging there phones. This is why you pay the additional $ 100 when you purchase the device.... it does in fact cover water damage and cracking the glass....scratching is accidental why shouldn't that be covered ?

Im sure Sean will have a comment on this . he always seems to...
    10-26-2012 09:35 PM
70 123