Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have had the 4, 4S, and now the 5

It seems that the glass screen scratches easier on the 4S
and the 5.

I had a 4 for over a year and beat the crap out the phone,
I'm a carpenter and kept the phone in my tool belt. I never had a single
scratch on the 4.

On my 4S and 5 I scratched the screen within a week.

I have scratches all over my 5 and I baby it.

I know apple used helicopter windshield glass on the 4 but I think they switched glass on the newer phones.

Does anyone have any insight on this. :confused:

Thanks

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
It is widely known that Corning provides Gorilla Glass to Apple for it's touchscreens. The glass on the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S should be the same. The iPhone 5 probably uses Gorilla Glass 2, but according to Corning, the newer version is just as scratch resistant.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The iphone 5 uses a gorilla glass 2 which is better than gorilla glass 1 used on older devices. So i doubt it scratches more. The scratches you are seeing are most likely hairline scratches on the oleophobic coating of the screen. Which are mostly noticeable under bright lights. The glass is most likely not scratch if it is you will see the scratch when the screen is on. I noticed the 5 coating scratches much easier. I have half an inch scratch within a day and I baby my phone. On the 4s, I used it all year with no screen protector and barely scratch the oleophobic coating. Because of this I order sgp ultra clear screen protector knowing how easy the coating scratches on the 5.

Who has hairline scratches already?

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
that is annoying, why should it scratch easier...

Screen covers are even more annoying..

my 4 was bomb proof, Id take that anyday over a smudge resistant/ scratch easy coating....

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
that is annoying, why should it scratch easier...

Screen covers are even more annoying..

my 4 was bomb proof, Id take that anyday over a smudge resistant/ scratch easy coating....

I agree I never put on screen protectors before and I hate them. With this possible issue, I might have to put one on cause the hairline scratches bothers the hell out of me!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You obviously don't baby it if you have scratches on the screen...the last scratched screen I had was on my 3GS, and it was from a clip in my pocket that scratched it when i was doing a firearms qualification and went down on a knee, crushing it against the full clip. I don't baby my phones at all...and run case-less 85% of the time, so your "babying" must be some very skewed definition of what most of us understand "babying" as.

If it's annoying you so badly, sell it and go back to the 4, lol. You're obviously doing something to scratch the screen so maybe better personal habits will help you.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Wow, this has gotten off track !
Couple of questions, I'd like to see the confirmation of gorilla glass 2 on the iPhone 5.
2) if the first question is true then does the coating on the 5 scratch easier because it is not a good match for the gorilla glass 2, or did they change the coating (why would they ?)

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I dont understand why they would change the coating either, like I said I never scratched my 4 and did not " BABY " it at all.

but please if someone has a definition of babying, Im all ears.....

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I dont understand why they would change the coating either, like I said I never scratched my 4 and did not " BABY " it at all.

but please if someone has a definition of babying, Im all ears.....

Generally, carrying it on a tool belt is not babying it.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Jeeeze !!!! do people read anymore ???

I wrote : I had a 4 for over a year and beat the crap out the phone,
I'm a carpenter and kept the phone in my tool belt. I never had a single
scratch on the 4.

I stated that I beat the crap out of the phone, where does it say I babied the phone ???

I stated that I baby my 5 since its new and there are scuff issues.

in my second post I stated that I did NOT baby my 4 , why is this so difficult for some readers....

With a name like Droid, Id expect nothing less.....

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Off topic but it still amazes me how droid users browse iPhone forums lol. I never put a foot on their forums, come to think of it I've never had. Lol.

TaliZorah

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm a carpenter and kept the phone in my tool belt. ... I have scratches all over my 5 and I baby it.

Don't call Sean an idiot if he is reading what everybody else is reading... Reason #1 you don't "baby" your phone is you leave it in your carpenter's belt.

Just trying to keep the peace here, I can see where Sean said what he said.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sean... thanks for telling me Im not babying my phone. Your basically an idiot..

Oh ok, your screen just scratches easier than every other person's on the planet. Gotcha...

My nephew has an iPod Touch, and he feels he takes good care of it (though it's quite beat up), you remind me a lot of him, he's 6.

P.S. - *You're (though i really shouldn't come down on you too much for the grammatical error, i don't think they cover contractions until 2nd or 3rd grade. You'll get there little buddy, just keep trying!)

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You know (not that i really need to prove my case otherwise given your oh so "brilliant" response earlier...But...), i was just reading about your experience with Apple Care in another thread on here, where you said something to the effect of loving to have it because when you scratch the iPhone, you can just bring it back and use Apple Care and tell them the battery is bad so that you can get yourself another one that is scratch free.

This tells me that A.) You've got enough experience with scratching your iPhone's to have a plan to scam Apple using their warranty system to replace a phone that has been cosmetically damaged, and B.) You're the type of person that takes pride and brags about doing such things (which speaks worlds about you).

Just wanted to put this out there, i felt it spoke pretty well towards how you take care of your phones (or better put, your lack of care).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh