Budgeting Data and other LTE Questions/Comments

Nibbz

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. So I finally got kicked off unlimited data when I upgraded to iPhone 5. Very disappointed that this is how the game works now. To be honest if I could get 3 GB at $30, I'd probably be fine, but alas 2 gb is what they give you.

On my iPhone 5, I would routinely go about .5-1gb over 2 gb every month but never had to worry about it. I would usually use Pandora for a few hours while at work on the weekend, anywhere between 2 and 6 hours of playback. I purchased a 64 gb i5 though so I hope I'll be less likely to want to to use Pandora or another streaming service.

Anyway, I also feel like I'm missing out on a great feature my phone has, that being 4G LTE. I'm almost afraid to use it in fear of going over my data limit. Shared data plans aren't really an option as my family doesn't need unlimited calling, and its just me and one other device using data so we're saving $10 just doing individual data plans. I was thinking of going big and getting the 5GB with Tethering but am skeptical I can afford it in the long run.

Anyway, what I am asking is for advice on when to use my 4G, when not to use 4G, and how I can comfortably use it without being stressed that I may go over my limit. I have pretty mediocre wifi in my apartment, but usually decent data when I'm in class and on campus, but at work and home I really want to use it more often than not.

Thank you for any and all advice.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I think a big misconception is that LTE uses more data. You're using the same amount of data as before its just fast. Basically you went from filling a bucket with a garden hose to a fire hose.

I'd install whatever your carrier app is and monitor your data use as best you can. Verizon has an app and they send you a text when you're close to your limit (minutes, texts, data). I'm not sure how it is for other carriers, but Verizon charges $10 for every additional GB. Maybe it's worth that extra $10 to just use your phone as you please and live stress free?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Nibbz

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
True, if I'm gonna end up paying 10 extra though, I feel like I might as well bite the bullet and go 20 extra, have 5 gb and be able to tether.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I have never ever went over 1.5 GB of data. I have been on LTE for about a year now with the nexus and now the s3 (hopefully ill get someone that wants to trade with me for an i5). I do stay in wifi whenever possible but I also am still on unlimited. I do that just for ethic reasons, as I don't want data hogs on my network either, I mean if in want to steam a movie then ill watch it it in my home theater and not on a 4" screen. LTE can have a side effect of more data usage. As in you can do more in a short amount of time so given the same amount of time on 3g you would have done less and consumed less data. 25 mb on 1x and 25 mb of data on LTE is the exact same amount. (this is assuming that the header size is the same for but that's an unneeded conversation as it wouldn't account for more then a few kb at the most and probably just a few bytes ever month). On another note while I did have a 4s I used considerable less data then on my android phones. I believe iPhone is more efficient with data.

My wife is at work foen16 hours a day on Saturdays and Sundays. And at school during the week and see uses about a GB or so on her 4s.

My brother has no wifi anywhere he goes and none at home and he uses about 2 gb but has never gone over and is never worried about how much he uses.

These carriers are just setting limits to get money. They should throttle and charge an extra 20 or 10 per line per account for going over the limit but not on a per GB bases.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Well I think a big misconception is that LTE uses more data. You're using the same amount of data as before its just fast. Basically you went from filling a bucket with a garden hose to a fire hose.

I'd install whatever your carrier app is and monitor your data use as best you can. Verizon has an app and they send you a text when you're close to your limit (minutes, texts, data). I'm not sure how it is for other carriers, but Verizon charges $10 for every additional GB. Maybe it's worth that extra $10 to just use your phone as you please and live stress free?

If he's on the 2GB "shared" plan, I believe the overage is $15 a gig if I'm not mistaken.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If he's on the 2GB "shared" plan, I believe the overage is $15 a gig if I'm not mistaken.

The Verizon "Share Everything" overages are $10/GB. However, you can upgrade your monthly plan and get 2 addition GBs for $10. It's also $10/GB on an individual plan too.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

I'd say the misconception is that LTE will NOT use extra data. You will more than likely use more because you get things done faster now. Using your hose example it would be more akin to having a job filling buckets (i.e. visiting your favorite websites) and you want to fill as many as possible in a day (i.e. visit as many websites as you can). If with 3G you can view 10 websites in as many minutes, with LTE you might be able to view 15-20.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I know it's not apples-to-apples, but on the share plan it's $15/gb. We have the 4gb and haven't used 2gb combined. Thought I'd go down but if we go over, it will be $15 for the extra GB when there's only a $10 difference from 2gb to 4gb. Kinda silly, otherwise I'd just do 2gb and pay the $10 when we need it, but seems they figured that out. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

The Verizon "Share Everything" overages are $10/GB.
Nope. $15.

Need more than 10GB of data? Add 2GB for $10 by logging in to My Verizon. Data overage is $15 per 1GB.

Nibbz

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
For me, on the non-shared plan, overages are $10 a gb.

My mom doesn't use all that data, maybe the shared plan does make more sense..

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm over 6gbs so far this month. I don't stream all that much. Did a couple of movies on Netflix. About 250mb each. My cycle renews on the 3rd...

iPhones tend to use less data than android because of the websites. Most android phones open websites like a computer, flash and all. Whereas the iPhone will automatically open in mobile view, and when not, the iPhone doesn't seem to load all the extraneous crap. No flash or some other stuff. I think that is a big reason why iPhones seem to use less data than androids.

I never got near 2gb with 3G phones, but both my HTC Rezound and now this iPhone 5, I am hitting over 4gb easily.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2