Is the wireless always used first?

MylesB

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
If I have the wireless turned on, will it try to use wireless before the cell signal? I don't use the wireless often because I have an unlimited plan through my place of employment. I do turn it on sometimes because larger apps (50mb I think) require it for download. I have noticed that if I have it on and am in the office, I will get slow connection and often error out because I think it is trying to use the WIFI from the other side of the office. Can anyone confirm this? Can I do anything about it? I know, I know, make sure to turn off the WIFI.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I am somewhere with wireless that I have previously connected to, it will automatically connect to that wifi again. Always has done on all my Apple devices from previous iPhones to iPads.

Short of turning wifi off, you can set it to ask you if you want to join the wifi network in range and you can select 'no'.

Only way to do it, I believe.

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Wifi always comes first. I know you mentioned it. But is probably easier to keep wifi off since your wifi is not reliable and only turn it on when you download something over 50mb. Is not like you're always downloading apps/games.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm really beginning to wonder the same thing...I've noticed data usage on my phone when I've sat at home in WiFi all day (75% usage notifications, etc). I actually called AT&T to ask them because i was concerned my iP5 was not connecting to WiFi properly, but ended up hanging up on the guy because he sounded like english was his 3rd language, lol.

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
When the iPhone is in sleep mode, I was told that it uses the network data. So anything that is pushed to your phone will be done via the network. Why that is the case, I have no idea. So I guess wifi isn't always used first.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2