How do you see what is running ?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is not the same as on an Android device.

"Double clicking on the home button displays a list of recently used apps. These apps are not necessarily actively in use, open, or taking up system resources. They will instantly launch when you return to them. Certain tasks or services can continue to run in the background."

That quote is directly from Apple.

Last edited:

MylesB

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'm surprised there isn't something in the settings. I like having the recently used list, but I also don't want want unneeded apps running. Most apps don't have an exit or close option. Seems you just hit the home button to exit out.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I'm surprised there isn't something in the settings. I like having the recently used list, but I also don't want want unneeded apps running. Most apps don't have an exit or close option. Seems you just hit the home button to exit out.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The reason there is no way to se it is because very few apps CAN run in the background. Most are paused or frozen, aside from apps like navigon, pandora, iPod etc. so the list is usually enough. If only 5 apps can run in the background you don't really need a task manager--just close them out through the app switcher and they will quit.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The apps you see in the fast app switcher are not actually running.

- - - Updated - - -

The apps you see in the fast app switcher are not actually running.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Unless it's to fix an app that isn't running right, there's no need to remove apps from the app switcher.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Negative. To save battery life one of the tips is to kill apps in the app switcher. You should kill apps you don't need. Or else they will be taking up your ram.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless it's to fix an app that isn't running right, there's no need to remove apps from the app switcher.

That's the dogma. Still, I remove everything from the recently used app list. I guess it's a habit left over from my Android days...:)

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I religiously remove apps from the switcher.
My wife does not.
Whenever my wife's iPad2 is having any issues, I remove the apps from the switcher and all is well.
She has promised to remember. :)
Good Luck

jalba3

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
RAM that isn't used is wasted RAM IMO. I just kill the apps that I feel might be pinging something such as GPS. On newer hardware I haven't ran into an issue where I have to kill a rogue app.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73