Select All - Delete

paulek

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
One of my frustrations with switching to the iPhone 5 from the Galaxy S III is the inability to delete all emails easily (rather than individually). I used K9 mail for my Galaxy and it has a Select All - Delete capability. Does anyone know of a similar program for mail on the iPhone 5?

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
One of my frustrations with switching to the iPhone 5 from the Galaxy S III is the inability to delete all emails easily (rather than individually). I used K9 mail for my Galaxy and it has a Select All - Delete capability. Does anyone know of a similar program for mail on the iPhone 5?

There are no programs that 'tap into' mail that can change how it functions unless you are jailbroken and being an iPhone 5 owner, safe to assume that is not the case here. Your best option would be to look for an alternative mail client that would better suit your needs. Sadly, I don't know of any good ones beyond GMail and even saying GMail is good on iOS as a standalone app is a bit of a stretch IMO.

End_User

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
+1 for sparrow. If it had push notifications (used to have them using a jailbreak tweak before I upped to ios6) it would be the perfect mail app.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Sparrow also, but I don't delete emails. I run gmail exchange so no reason to delete them... I always need access to messages from a few days to weeks ago. but also you can search using email exchange.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I don't have an answer accept to say that I have never had the need to delete "all" my emails. I read then delete the ones I don't want. It has worked for me. Perhaps all you need is a little time to adjust and you'll find you might not have needed that particular feature? In any case I hope you find what you need.

Cheers!

sjsplaty

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I actually think its ridiculous that now that we are on to the 6th iteration of iOS, we still don't have a way to "Select All" or "Mark All as Read" or "Delete All". It's bad enough that it took all this time to have multiple email signatures, which is a necessity if you have multiple business email addresses. What I don't understand is, if Android or BB or Microsoft OS's had this problem, everyone would be screaming about it and saying how terrible they are as operating systems. Why are we, as Apple users, content to accept these limitations so many years after the original iPhone was released?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I have no use for this?I rarely delete many emails, and never all of them at once?but for those who would like it, try this:

1. Go to your inbox
2. Press Edit
3. Tap any message once to select it
4. Press AND HOLD the Move button
5. While still holding the Move button, tap the message you selected
6. Release the Move button
7. This will bring up a dialog box asking you which folder you?d like to move all your messages to ? just select the Trash folder and you?re all done

- - - Updated - - -

Edit (source): http://www.jasonelk.com/2011/02/how-to-delete-all-your-mail-at-once-on-your-iphone-4/

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Tried it numerous times - does not work (iPhone 5).

Odd, I'm on a 5 and it seems to work for me...do you get this far?

QymAq.jpg

I haven't taken the final step only because I don't actually want to delete my mails.

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that's awesome! Never knew that--thanks!

By the way, how did you come across that one?! Seems pretty obscure etc.

Personally, I have no use for this—I rarely delete many emails, and never all of them at once—but for those who would like it, try this:

1. Go to your inbox
2. Press Edit
3. Tap any message once to select it
4. Press AND HOLD the Move button
5. While still holding the Move button, tap the message you selected
6. Release the Move button
7. This will bring up a dialog box asking you which folder you’d like to move all your messages to – just select the Trash folder and you’re all done

- - - Updated - - -

Edit (source): How to delete all your mail at once on your iPhone 4 (updated for iOS 6, including iPhone 4S and iPhone 5) | Jason Elk

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I tried it numerous times. It looks like it works. Then you leave the inbox. Return to the inbox and the messages are still there.

That's a drag, sorry. Is everyone else who has tried this experiencing the same behavior?

sklatta94

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I too think this is ridiculous....how absurd to not be able to select all or select a group like you can on your computer. I only use my ipad to review emails but now I have 1000 emails and Im freakin tired of clicking on each and every one each and every time to delete it. When I replace my iPad, I may just go to another brand of tablet because of this feature alone. Same crap on the iPhone too...I can't believe there's no fix for this. Apple is losing their mojo
:mad:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711