Is anyone else just not thrilled or impressed with the Five?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok there Salscott.... I complained that there are no adapters available. You CANNOT buy an adapter right now, can you?? If you can set there and tell us that you are perfectly fine with the fact that you cannot buy an adapter, then you are nothing but a fanboy. Apple could do anything and you would defend them.

My local Apple store has a whole rack of them... they ARE available... next. Not having one might be a bummer, but Apple did give you a cable with which to charge your iPhone 5... how many can you use at one time? Fanboy? Nah, more of a realist. And a happy customer.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think for many it has more to do with the OS than the phone itself. I love my iphone 5 but IOS is getting stale and can use some work. Yes it is smooth and I am sure people will complain saying what do you want but the grid of icons needs a refresh. Maybe with IOS 7 but it seems it is to the point that the hardware is so advanced that the OS doesn't take full advantage of the hardware and what it could really do.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My local Apple store has a whole rack of them... they ARE available... next. Not having one might be a bummer, but Apple did give you a cable with which to charge your iPhone 5... how many can you use at one time? Fanboy? Nah, more of a realist. And a happy customer.

Got me there! Had no idea they were in stores. According to the apple store app they are weeks out yet. My mistake for sure!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Shulaw1999

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I went last week to my local Apple Store and they didn't have any adapters. So this past Monday I went online an ordered both the small Lightning/30 Pin adapter (said 2-3 weeks availability) and the Lightning/30 Pin with wire adapter (said 5-7 days availability). Ironically, only 3 days later Apple notified me via email that the small adapter shipped out on Friday (yesterday) and I received it the next day FedEx. Looks like it came from PA, so an easy short trip to NJ. I then received an email from Apple that the wire adapter version shipped yesterday, but I won't get it until this upcoming Thursday. Shipped from China and now in Hong Kong, according to the email. So, I hedged my bets by ordering both, and got one pretty fast considering. Now, do I keep both or return one ... decisions ...

Oh, and I still love this effin' iPhone 5. Just to keep with the theme of the thread.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
People really need to get over the adapters already... The adapters aren't free and never will be. If such a big deal they shouldn't have bought iPhone 5's.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People really need to get over the adapters already... The adapters aren't free and never will be. If such a big deal they shouldn't have bought iPhone 5's.

If it's not the adaptor it'll be something else just as ridiculous or more...it's a fact of life that some people complain just to complain, and this forum has it's share of those people.

sbalchand

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
No phone in this world will make you dance in the streets! :)

Be it any phone, the novelty wears off in a couple days. As long as it works for you without major glitches..... you can use it for making/receiving calls, data speeds are acceptable, the needed apps are available and you get periodic updates to the OS.... it should be good.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No phone in this world will make you dance in the streets! :)

Be it any phone, the novelty wears off in a couple days. ...snipped...

I'm not sure I agree with that statement..;)...I thought I was the coolest dude on the planet when I purchased my Motorola StarTac back in the day. Heck, I was so happy to the point of doing a couple of backflips, cartwheels and kip ups. :D and the novelty did not wear off in a couple of days and I felt the same way about the Blackberry 7290....;)

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Now back to the ORIGINAL topic of this thread, I have a bit of an update...

My sim cutter came today. Included were several adapters. So I proceeded to freak my 21 yr old out when I yanked his full size sim out of his iPhone using straight talk sim. I cut his sim down to nano size and stuck it in my Verizon Five. A quick stop by the apn website and my phone was up and running on AT&T 4g. I was able to surf faster and show better signal (for what that's worth) with the new sim in. Speedtest app showed downloads of nearly 6mbps with uploads around 3mbps.

I then took the newly cut sim and put it in an adapter and back into my terrified boys iPhone. It is working perfectly.

So tomorrow I will pick up a straight talk sim for me and try it out for a month. If I feel the phone then works as was expected, I will begin working on making the jump to AT&T. That will be the tough part. I might have to go alone and leave the rest of the family on Verizon. At least for awhile. Three lines are under contract and will be subject to ETFs.

Once I get some AT&T usage under my belt next week, I will report back, in case anyone is interested. Now, it is my understanding (so please correct me if I am wrong!!) that I should have same experience as a real AT&T customer, yes? As far as service and speeds?

Ok, tried out the Straight Talk sim tonight. It is definitely Verizon that is the problem! With the ST sim in, I was getting about 6-7mbps download speed. Everything worked as it should. I did not have to wait and wait for web pages to load. I was able to use the phone as I should be able to.

So, now I have to decide if I want to leave the family behind on Verizon and start with AT&T by myself? My wife doesn't really want to leave Verizon and much of the family is on Verizon.

But the main point is the phone is fine. My carrier is the problem, at least in this case. Probably a good reason I have not been so thrilled with the new phone.

Last edited:

9of13

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
It seems the overall feel from this thread is "great device, but getting bored with the OS"
It's kind of how us BlackBerry users started feeling after BB6. IMO, it happens with most mobile OSs. We're getting BB10 because after ten years, the legacy OS has become obsolete. And I'm one to know- I'm still rocking a BB6 device though it's still a workhorse. iOS has about 5 more years in it(when using other OSs as a base for this observation). And there's still a lot more to be added to it over time.
Now I've read a few posts here on how there's no more "innovation". Thought this is slowly becoming a "battle cry" of sorts from non Apple users, iOS, from what I constantly see, still works for Apple users. As it should. Just as my Berry still works for me(although I'm patiently waiting for BB10). Now don't get it twisted, im not here to troll or go back on CB and boast how you guys are "getting bored". Especially since it's not the case in reality. Many of you are ecstatic. Apple, like any other company, doesn't have to innovate every single time. I'm thinking we Berry users might get spoiled ourselves after the Ten drops. (not insulting ya'll). But honestly, what was to be expected with iOS6? Realistically all that should be expected is overall stability. It's been around since 2007. And I see it's for a reason. Not because Apple made it, but because for its users it works. I personally can't get it to grow on me. The OS has a lot of things missing for me. But if one gets one after using say, an iPhone 4, it's an upgrade that makes one smile. It's like why I never upgraded to BB7 and plan to skip straight to 10.
On a side note, it's nice to see that here, like CrackBerry and AC, it's really the same type of responses to upgraded devices. The grass is not so greener yet just as green. Just a different type of grass.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm not blown away with the iPhone 5. It's 2012 and Apple screwed up the antenna system. I lose bars when I hold it the normal way. Very pathetic. I'm on my second replacement. The only reason its nice to upgrade would be to take advantage of LTE. I don't have it anywhere close. HSPA+ is very sketchy where I live too. I'm thinking about buying a 4S from craigslist.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The only reason its nice to upgrade would be to take advantage of LTE. I don't have it anywhere close. HSPA+ is very sketchy where I live too. I'm thinking about buying a 4S from craigslist.

Then why did you upgrade? Without LTE, I wouldn't have.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I wanted to see where Apple is going with the newest iPhone. Yeah it has stellar performance, but the 4S isn't far behind. There are hardware flaws. Anyways I have 11 days left to return the phone. So its all good.

Boobie12

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I freaking love it. I always wanted a bigger screen cuz I hated the little screen on my 4s but didn't want to go back to android. Don't get me wrong I think android is great but I like iOS better. So I love this thing

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It seems the overall feel from this thread is "great device, but getting bored with the OS"

To be honest, i think that the overall feel from this thread is that most people are totally satisfied with the iPhone and iOS 6...and that a small % of them are bored with the OS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal