Is anyone else just not thrilled or impressed with the Five?

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Please note: the following comments come from the perspective of a former Android user.

The iPhone 5 was the only iPhone I was remotely interested in, because of the larger screen size alone. I had become spoiled by my 4.3" Evo 3D and couldn't imagine going down to a smaller screen (but I can't really go to a larger screen either, between 4" and 4.5" is the butter zone for me personally). I got a chance to play with my mom's iPhone 4 and, while I agree that it is a nice device, I just wasn't interesting in downsizing like that.

The iPhone 5's form factor is pretty much perfect for me. It has a really nice hand-feel and is a pretty spectacular device. I'm very happy with it.

Yes, it is still an "iPhone" experience. But were any of us really expecting anything different? Probably not.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So it seems that most people in thins forum upgraded from the iPhone 4. This is, obviously, the best iPhone that Apple has made, but I think the original post was, how does it compare to other (non-Apple) phones and their features.

I came from a Samsung Galaxy S3 (yes, really) and I far and aware prefer the iPhone 5 for a number of reasons, which I have happily laid out in numerous posts on here.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of my disenchantment is that I came from several android phones. My last was the HTC Rezound. It is an awesome phone, WHEN IT WORKS! The screen size was great. The LTE speeds were much faster than I am seeing now on the Five. Not sure what's up with that??

But my Rezound (and many others!) kept dropping data connection. After they sent my fourth one, I traded it off for a 16gb iPhone 4. I got the iPhone and two other android phones for that Rezound!

I had been bouncing back n forth between an 8gb iPhone 4 that I had originally got for my wife (she decided to go back to her android phone) and the Rezound. THe Iphone was nice, but Verizon's 3G (at least around here...) sucked big time. Was sooooo slow!

So I switched to the 16gb 4 and used it. But the slow 3G was killing me! There were no other androids I was interested in. And I don't like windows phones. So when he Five came out with LTE, I jumped and got this black 64gb one.

Maybe Verizon's system are slowing down, but I just am not really digging the experience I am having. At work I can't seem to get but 1x if I am lucky. In the building I am in.... If I walk fifty feet over to the door, I get four bars of LTE. But at my work area, not much of anything. The folks on their AT&T iPhones are not having any problems.

I am giving the Five one last chance.... I ordered a sim cutter and it arrives, I am going to grab a Straigt Talk sim for AT&T and try it out. An experiment, if you will. If I can get the 8-9mbps that my AT&T friends are getting on their Fives, I will be satisfied. (No AT&T LTE around here, not that my Five would get it anyway...) I might just make the jump to Straight Talk (or even AT&T ).

Don't even get me started on the whole talk n surf thing! I miss that from my android phones!!!!

Just trying to find a way to make me happy with the Five. As it is currently, I see no real improvements over the 16gb Four I just sold (for $300!!!!!). I mean, the phone might have better hardware, but if it can't get signal, none of that really matters. Does it?

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of my disenchantment is that I came from several android phones. My last was the HTC Rezound. It is an awesome phone, WHEN IT WORKS! The screen size was great. The LTE speeds were much faster than I am seeing now on the Five. Not sure what's up with that??

But my Rezound (and many others!) kept dropping data connection. After they sent my fourth one, I traded it off for a 16gb iPhone 4. I got the iPhone and two other android phones for that Rezound!

I had been bouncing back n forth between an 8gb iPhone 4 that I had originally got for my wife (she decided to go back to her android phone) and the Rezound. THe Iphone was nice, but Verizon's 3G (at least around here...) sucked big time. Was sooooo slow!

So I switched to the 16gb 4 and used it. But the slow 3G was killing me! There were no other androids I was interested in. And I don't like windows phones. So when he Five came out with LTE, I jumped and got this black 64gb one.

Maybe Verizon's system are slowing down, but I just am not really digging the experience I am having. At work I can't seem to get but 1x if I am lucky. In the building I am in.... If I walk fifty feet over to the door, I get four bars of LTE. But at my work area, not much of anything. The folks on their AT&T iPhones are not having any problems.

I am giving the Five one last chance.... I ordered a sim cutter and it arrives, I am going to grab a Straigt Talk sim for AT&T and try it out. An experiment, if you will. If I can get the 8-9mbps that my AT&T friends are getting on their Fives, I will be satisfied. I might just make the jump to Straight Talk (or even AT&T ).

Just trying to find a way to make me happy with the Five. As it is currently, I see no real improvements over the 16gb Four I just sold (for $300!!!!!). I mean, the phone might have better hardware, but if it can't get signal, none of that really matters. Does it?

It sounds like your issue seems to be more with your carrier rather than with the phone itself?

I'm glad you hit the nail on the head with regards to your experiences with Android though. Reliability is the main reason I dumped my S3 and came back to an iPhone. I just wanted a phone that did what I wanted, when I wanted, and the Samsung couldn't deliver that.

DerpinasDerpy

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

Verizon's basically doubled the amount of LTE users on their network with the release of the iPhone 5. Any LTE slowdown you are experiencing is more than likely because of that, not because of the phone. Where I used to get 16mb/s download on my Galaxy nexus, I now only get around 8 or 9, and its due to increased traffic.

the iPhone 5 is my first iPhone. I came from the galaxy nexus, which I still have and use occasionally because I like to tinker with android. I will say rather honestly that the biggest factors in my decision to try the iPhone5 out were the 4 inch 16:9 screen and the LTE capability. Had these two things not been introduced I would not have an iPhone in my pocket.

The biggest surprise to me with the new iPhone is the battery life. Anyone who has used the galaxy nexus for a day knows that under heavy usage you are lucky to get 5 hours out of it. While it didnt bother me to the point of disliking the phone, it made me manage my usage. I have not had to do the same with the iPhone 5 at all, not once since the day I set it up. It seems like I can throw anything I do at it and still have enough battery to last until the end of the night and probably the following morning if I forgot to put it on the charger. Granted, I do not do 3d intensive games on the iPhone5, but still I am very impressed with the battery life.

Shulaw1999

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded from my old school iPhone 3G to the 5. Pretty much the equivalent of jumping from a Pinto to a Ferrari. So, yeah, I'm overly-impressed.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Actually I'm not thrilled at all, not thrilled that I will have to wait for another week to get my damn i5. I am on an iPhone 4 and even using it in the Apple store I don't want to leave or go back to my brick of a phone.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I'll let you know as soon as i get mine. I still currently have my faithful Iphone 4 which is getting the job done and still have not even had the privilege of seeing and Ip5 in person...... or evening holding one in my hand.

---------- Post Merged at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:25 PM ----------

I upgraded from my old school iPhone 3G to the 5. Pretty much the equivalent of jumping from a Pinto to a Ferrari. So, yeah, I'm overly-impressed.

How is this even possible do people still carry iphone 3g's around i mean not even the 3gs but 3G..... Absurd!!!!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Actually I'm not thrilled at all, not thrilled that I will have to wait for another week to get my damn i5. I am on an iPhone 4 and even using it in the Apple store I don't want to leave or go back to my brick of a phone.

Patience young Jedi.....patience.:p lol. And just think, ipheuria, when you finally do have your shiny new i5 in hand you'll appreciate it even that much more because you had to wait so long :)

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I will definitely agree that the battery life on iPhones, especially this Five, is astounding! With my android phones, I would make sure I left the house for work at 100% on charge. Otherwise I would be looking for a charger soon!

With this 5, I don't worry. I use the phone and come home from work with a charge left. Then stick it on charger when I go to bed. No bump charging, no worrying, no drama...

RNCCRN9706

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
I got a 64GB Black one in store this morning. I'm lovin it so far! LOVE my iPhone 5! I'll never EVER have any other brand of smart phone again!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...snipped,,,

How is this even possible do people still carry iphone 3g's around i mean not even the 3gs but 3G..... Absurd!!!!
I hear ya and I agree. I have NEVER held on to a mobile phone even close to that long. Heck, if I weren't so content with my 4S, I would have already gotten rid of it by now. Having said that, my contentment will not last beyond the next iteration of the iPhone. That's a given...lol

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'll let you know as soon as i get mine. I still currently have my faithful Iphone 4 which is getting the job done and still have not even had the privilege of seeing and Ip5 in person...... or evening holding one in my hand.

---------- Post Merged at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:25 PM ----------

I hear ya and I agree. I have NEVER held on to a mobile phone even close to that long. Heck, if I weren't so content with my 4S, I would have already gotten rid of it by now. Having said that, my contentment will not last beyond the next iteration of the iPhone. That's a given...lol

Not everyone is flush with cash like you, D :)

Spdracer

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm so not thrilled that I didn't upgrade my 4S to 5. In fact, come next month I will be switching to a Windows phone and will probably buy a Windows tablet to replace my iPad 3

jefftam68

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I thought only Blackberry users kept their phones for 5 years and then complained that they were out of date. It's no wonder RIM is dead. Their phones last too long and people complain about how their phone from 2005 is out of date and how out of step RIM is with the iPhone 5.

Shulaw1999

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site

Hahahahahaaa. Yup. iPhone 3G. Damn thing just kept working. Slow as molasses, but still working. Tough for me to justify the upgrade until now. I was going to hold out for the iPhone 7, but jumped the gun and pulled the trigger early. Now my new best friend is Siri. My wife thinks she is a snarky b*itch, but I enjoy her company.

footmatix

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
The jump from the iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5 is not as significant as one might expect. Vs the iPhone 4 it could be something you should consider.

What is frustrating me are the lack of available accessories right out of the gate. The connection adapter should have been made available immediately. I have several 30 pin connection compliant devices that are completely useless to me. I miss using my desktop dock charger and Boston acoustics portable stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! Apple should have had those adapters made up before the phone even went on sale. And I feel apple should have included ONE adapter with the phone, knowing most users already have docks and assorted 30pin accessories.

footmatix

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
You are right they should have included an adapter with the purchase of a new phone. Very cheap of Apple and to charge $30 for it is ludicrous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen