Automatic airplane mode in movie theaters ?

PhiLA-Dan0

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I went to the movies last night and when I came out of the theater, I went to check my phone. To my surprise, my phone was in airplane mode. For the life of me I don't remember turning it on or even being in the settings. I used my phone 20 minutes before i went into the theater, but after that phone call I never touched it again till after the movie. It made me think, does the the ihone 5 go into airplane mode automatically when your in a theater ? I've searched everywhere but could not find anything releated. Has this happened to anyone else ? Next time you go to the movies, check it out, let me know. Or maybe I'm just crazy !

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
How odd. I can't see an option to turn this function on or off anywhere in the settings, which leads me to suspect that you must have turned it on and forgotten that you had. Sorry I can't be much help.

PhiLA-Dan0

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I guess I must have, but im sure gonna check it out next time i'm in a theater.

---------- Post Merged at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Thanks, I guess I must have, but im sure gonna check it out next time i'm in a theater.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've heard of efforts to block signals in restaurants and movie theaters... as far as I know, it's not legal in the US... but that is vastly different from automatically invoking airplane mode when you enter a location... don't think that's possible, short of some sort of NFC application... and we all know that the iPhone doesn't have an NFC chip.

---------- Post Merged at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:27 AM ----------

I've heard of efforts to block signals in restaurants and movie theaters... as far as I know, it's not legal in the US... but that is vastly different from automatically invoking airplane mode when you enter a location... don't think that's possible, short of some sort of NFC application... and we all know that the iPhone doesn't have an NFC chip.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like something that could eventually be a part of the Geofencing feature. When you go into a hospital or some other location that doesn't allow cellular devices to be on, the GPS recognizes that location and automatically turns on Airplane Mode; and after you leave, it goes back off.