It is true that iphone5 map view is very bad? please tell me because i want to buy this
    10-15-2012 10:26 PM
    I have not had any problems with maps getting me to where I need to go. That being said, I don't use walking directions and that has been a problem for many people. I came from Android and used google maps. Google maps has made mistakes on many occasions as does any map program. The graphics are very nice and load quickly. Don't let all the negativity sway your decision. It's a great phone.
    10-15-2012 10:42 PM
    Try the map app that comes with iOS6 / iPhone5... if it does not meet your needs, go to the App Store and find one that does. The Map app should not dissuade anyone from buying an iPhone5 or upgrading to iOS6. The Map app is nowhere near as horrible as it's being made out to be... I find it to work every bit as well as my Garmin Nuvi765t.
    Fausty82, Hackaveli and tuffy100 like this.
    10-15-2012 10:46 PM
    I am not a big fan of the apple maps either. Here is hoping that we get a nice Google maps app!
    10-15-2012 11:12 PM
    Try the map app that comes with iOS6 / iPhone5... if it does not meet your needs, go to the App Store and find one that does. The Map app should not dissuade anyone from buying an iPhone5 or upgrading to iOS6. The Map app is nowhere near as horrible as it's being made out to be... I find it to work every bit as well as my Garmin Nuvi765t.
    +1. Not to mention google map was wayyy slower. The new iOS maps load in a flash and all the apps that use app also show performance increase.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    10-16-2012 01:42 AM
    The Maps App should really not be a deciding reason why to get or not get the iPhone 5.

The 5 is a stand out device,and goes toe to toe with any device out there. If you're basing your decision off an app that will be constantly updated server side to address these issues, then you're doing it wrong IMO.
    10-16-2012 01:25 PM
    I have been thinking about apple maps. All of the bad press.
    If you enter an address, it's flawless and the interface is second to none.as far as finding businesses or points of interest....not good. I've been taken to wrong places by google maps numerous times, but apple has to improve this aspect (and they will)
    10-16-2012 04:26 PM
    I think it depends on ones area... Apple maps have newer satellite imagery than Google maps, and has been working just fine for me...
    10-16-2012 04:38 PM
    Yeah it'll get better. Street view however was a nice touch. Don't care about fly overs. They don't really help me.
    10-16-2012 05:11 PM
    As near as I can figure, the maps problem is 5 fold. The first is that 3D maps are occasionally freaky. Recent reports are that Apple is fixing them pretty fast, for example, the Statue of Liberty is no longer flat. Regardless, this is really an eye candy slash curiousity feature and really shouldn't matter in the decision making, since the former maps never had it. The second is inaccurate maps. This could be potentially be a dealbreaker if you rely on the maps app on your phone for whatever reason. The inaccuracy of maps though, seems to depend greatly on region. In the US, it seem pretty accurate for the most part, but reports are that in places like Sweden, it's pretty bad. On the flip side, some regions are significantly better than the former Google powered maps, China being the best example of this. The third is lack of public transit routing. Again, if you rely on this feature, it can be potential dealbreaker, although there exist a plethora of apps for this, and most of those are better or easier to use than the Google offering. The fourth is is lack of POI. In general, the new maps has fewer POI than the previous one. I say "in general" because again, it varies by region, and in some regions, it's much better than the previous version, and again, China is the best example of this. The fifth is a bit more subjective, it's unrecognized searches if you don't input it in the way the new maps understands it. For example, typing "Walmart" or "Wal-mart" yields different results. The same goes for "McDonald's" or "McDonalds." Furthermore, address input has to be spot on, any deviance and it doesn't always find what you're looking for. For some, this is an issue, for others, not so much.

I should also add that there is a huge benefit to the new maps that doesn't get the mention it deserves. It uses a LOT less data. Some people who measure this stuff have commented that it uses about 80% less. If you have a limited data plan and you use maps a lot, this could be very significant for you. Furthermore, the new maps stores more data for offline use than the old version. As mentioned a gazillion times, the new maps offers turn-by-turn spoken directions, which from most reports including Consumer Reports, is said to be as good as the competition AKA Android.

Additionally, if you don't like the new maps, you can just place the Google maps shortcut on your springboard. It's a little slower, but offers about 90% of the functionality of previous version, including streetview. Finally, Apple maps is improving fast, at least in the well populated areas. It'll probably still take some time for the less population dense areas to catch up, but as they say, "Rome wasn't built in a day."
    10-16-2012 07:55 PM
    Mapquest App is available
    10-17-2012 06:04 PM
    Mapquest App is available
    and?...
    10-17-2012 06:18 PM
    Apple has launched new map service Apple Maps knowing that it is a major initiative and they are just getting started with it. They are continuously improving it, and as Maps is a cloud-based solution, the more people use it, the better it will get. Do you also hate the new Apple maps? - Click Labs
    10-18-2012 03:55 AM