Ordered iPhone 5....did I make mistake not getting GS3??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForgWorm

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Its really depends on you.. If you prefer customization but not a so stable os go with the S3. However if you prefer a simpler/cleaner UI go with the iPhone.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
...i also just realized this is a zombie thread...
i just LOL'd at that Sean :p

but just to add to this "zombie thread" my daughters bf has the sprint version of the SG-S2 and he did need to install the Norton Anti-Virus app on his phone, avail through the Sprint store on his device, because as he said "when i download apps, if theres something not right with the app, the Norton will pop up stopping the download and ask me if i want to proceed."

the only reason i'm pointing that out is because someone earlier on in the thread had mentioned this.

Last edited:

brooklyndon2911

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
It's really comes down to what you want. With the iPhone5 you know what your getting. Killer performance. Awesome apps and content and it just works for what you need it for. Now if you want to customization, widgets and a bigger screen the gs3 Is the way to go. You have to compromise with either one it just boils down to what you ultimately want.

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
As stated above, if does come down to what you want. I recently tried the GS3 but really did not like it. I am not sure if it was because I did not want to learn a new phone or just that I found how much I really missed the iPhone and already knowing what it can do. I returned my GS3 and got the 5 and am as happy as can be with my choice.

When I had the GS3, I didn't have the feeling that "this was the phone I wanted". With the iphone 5, I have that feeling.

canuck82

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. I had the gs3 for about three months. It wasn't great holding a wifi signal. The battery was horrendous. I had to buy a spare with light use mind you. Also the overlay of touch wiz on the native android software made it glitchy. I picked up the five recently and love it. It just works.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I had the S3 since 21at June 2012 when it was released. I literally just sold it yesterday. I bought my iPhone 5 on 31st December 2012.

broadwayblues

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the S3 and I also write for an Android website, yeah I'm one of those people. However I have recently been having trouble with Verizon's hotspot feature, it keeps dropping data when it is on, and I'm taking online classes. I can't really go without my internet.

Verizon sent me four phones, and upgraded the software on the tower I lock into at home. They also sent me a Motorola RAZR, that's a great example of a crappy phone. I couldn't send that phone back fast enough.

So now I'm looking at the iPhone 5, and wondering how the hotspot would work. I'm also looking at the iPhone 5 since I'm getting tired of the constant fiddling I'm doing with Android.

Don't get me wrong, I love stock Android! I'm typing this on my Nexus 7, but once manufactures get involved thongs get sideways fast. The S3 doesn't run Jelly Bean, it runs Touchwiz, and I hate it.

Updates make me tear my hair out too. When my favorite device gets an update I want it now. So if I get an iPhone, I know I'm not waiting 3 or 4 months to get new features. The update process is so broken on non Nexus devices.

So here's the deal, I want to sell my S3 and get an iPhone 5, I'll keep my unlimited data by buying it used. The 5 will play nicely with my iPad 3 and iMac, and I'll stay on top of the newest Android updates with my Nexus 7.

The only thing I really am going to miss is NFC, I have a tag by my bed that I tap and it shuts off my ringer, sets my screen to dim and sets my alarm. However it will be nice to be able to use my phone with one hand.

Overall the S3 is a great phone, but its big and the radios are weak. Sometimes my battery is dead by 1pm if I forget my charger that day. It has so many features that I've never used and feel are just there to fill bullet points in training manuals.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Edmilan

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Yep, iOS devices get updates as soon as they are released.
Norton has an app for android? IMHO, that's something to think about when choosing a device: viruses, spam and security.

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
I went with iPhone 5 because I was tired of having to tweak. I was tired of "oh your phone can do this and this and this...but only if you root it and install all these mods." It was fun for a little bit, but I seriously have no time anymore for that. I need a device that, as has been said many times, rocks right out of the box. And I'm not knocking people who enjoy putting a new ROM on every night...to each their own.
I've used an S3 (horrible reception, dropped calls and data- i will never own a samsung device again after that) played with a Note 2 (just waaaaay too big for me), used a Nexus, used BlackBerry, used WP7.5, but I can truly say the i5 is the only phone I've used in the last 2.5 years that I'm truly happy with.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Amazing where society has gone.. to defend ones smart phone device.

Technology is not about gaining future endeavors anymore. It's seems to personal for some now days.

My .02 since everyone else is stuck in a endless loop of repetitive statements............

MOBILE NATIONS - Mobile Nations launched in 2011, evolving the ten year old Smartphone Experts brand into the largest network of mobile communities unifying Android Central, CrackBerry.com, iMore, WPCentral and webOS Nation. We like to think of Mobile Nations as the United Nations of mobile - independently each community stands strong on its own, built upon its own core group of mobile experts and enthusiasts. Together Mobile Nations accomplishes more, reaching over 8.5 million unique worldwide visitors.

There is nothing in any of the forums that says one is not welcome. Never once has an Admin or Moderator said one is not allowed here.

Mobile Nations sites are open communities welcoming all those mobile guru's and more!

Reality check for me..... I have used every device on almost every platform. I have positives and negatives of all of them. But I don't go to forums to rally people up and trash talk. There is no reason for it. Bottom line - Respecting ones opinion in the matter.

We have always said to debate the device - And debates are good. But because one does not agree with you, does make them a fool or hater.

I like BlackBerry, Windows, Android, and now iPhone. I use what works for me and my line of work and personal life. You maybe the complete opposite. And that is acceptable on all our sites. Decide what works well for you and learn from it. and help others.

But it amazes me, that people stressing point on what does not work for them and others have to agree with them 100% and do what they do, and the other user is not welcome because of the device they use.

People need to realize we are all hear to learn and help those in need of help. If you want to for your own personal reasons rally groups and put others with an open mind of accepting their OWN choices, then go else where. Why should friendships decide on what model phone you have and prefer. Is that really what the forums have come to?

All of us here do not make the decisions that get signed off at the manufacturing companies, OS development, and carrier operations. We are end consumers who have a decision to choose what will work best for yourself and only yourself. I am certainly not making a decision based on someone on a forum.

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You didn't make a mistake at all. The i5 is working beautifully for me. I've had a handful of issues on my old i4, but none on my i5.

estroh

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You didn't make a mistake. iPhone has better battery life, less resets, more reliable, and no malware that can steal passwords and data like android phones. And updates are when available and much more frequent than S3, and resale when you upgrade eventually will be higher.

ctdog

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
To echo many others, you didn't make a mistake, far from it. I went from my iPhone 3GS to the Note 2. Kept it for 3 days before returning it and getting the 5. Samsung does build awesome devices, no disputing that. The problem is Google Play/Android. The movie/TV show selection is lousy, Amazon Instant Video isn't available, unless you want to downgrade your OS to download an archived version of Flash, Play store apps always have ominous security warnings, etc. If Samsung gets their Tizen OS going, and has their own secure App Store, then they can be a very real threat to Apple. Until then, I and many others are quite happy behind Apples "walled garden", regardless how much that p!sses off Android apologists.

zeteo

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have had both. But I kept my iPhone 5. Great reception, app selection, and build. You made no mistake!

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Agreed with others... iPhone 5 is by far the better phone. GS3 is a novelty. GSIV right around the corner anyways, if you're really contemplating switching, may as well wait for that. I'd go HTC ONE if I were going Android right now. Samsung's interface suck imo.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok y'all are aware that this question was posted over FOUR months ago right? I highly doubt these responses are even valid anymore...

MrszBerry

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The battery life on my note 2 is better than the iPhone 5. I can go to work in the morning and then leave work without charging my phone all day

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner