Ordered iPhone 5....did I make mistake not getting GS3??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpoli86

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok here's the deal I need your help with people.... I ordered the iPhone 5 through AT&T as my upgrade...I'm starting to worry I made a mistake. People keep telling me how terrible the reception is, how bad pictures are (purple lines), and how its basically the same phone as the iPhone 4s.

A girl I know has the GS3, the screen is huge, picture seems great, everything can be customized. I feel like I made a mistake. I have a Macbook, purchase ridiculous amounts of music from the iTunes store so most of my music is protected which means I would have to convert it ALL to play on the GS3. I low how you can have widgets and other quick shortcuts on the GS3.

I'm just so confused on whether or not I should make the switch or if I would really get sick of the android system rather quickly and start missing the iPhone.

I know this is an iPhone forum but I was hoping to get a few honest opinions from some people who currently have the iPhone 5 and maybe even have tried out the GS3. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I can cancel my order online at anytime. Thanks guys!

weblou

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the S3 and love it.. i don't think i'll be coming back to iPhone any time soon. I consider your question a matter of preference. If you like widgets and customizing your phone..then S3 seems like a better choice. i think you need to test both and see :)

A lot my friends have ip5 and they don't have reception issues nor did i notice anything with the pictures. I remember how everyone was freaking out when the ip4 came out with the bad reception... personally didn't really affect me.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion you made the right choice. I had an SG2 and the iPhone is so much better for me. I won't list them all but most importantly are battery life and it fits into my life for what I use it for.

The camera thing is all hype. It happens to many cameras, not just iPhone. Google it. It's really a common phenomena but because the iPhone has it too, people made a big deal out of it.

Each person is different and their phone should do what THEY need it to do. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all with the iPhone. It's a great device!

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok here's the deal I need your help with people.... I ordered the iPhone 5 through AT&T as my upgrade...I'm starting to worry I made a mistake. People keep telling me how terrible the reception is, how bad pictures are (purple lines), and how its basically the same phone as the iPhone 4s.

A girl I know has the GS3, the screen is huge, picture seems great, everything can be customized. I feel like I made a mistake. I have a Macbook, purchase ridiculous amounts of music from the iTunes store so most of my music is protected which means I would have to convert it ALL to play on the GS3. I low how you can have widgets and other quick shortcuts on the GS3.

I'm just so confused on whether or not I should make the switch or if I would really get sick of the android system rather quickly and start missing the iPhone.

I know this is an iPhone forum but I was hoping to get a few honest opinions from some people who currently have the iPhone 5 and maybe even have tried out the GS3. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I can cancel my order online at anytime. Thanks guys!

I have had the 5 since the 21st and I absolutely love it; the dimensions, the OS, the speed, etc. I've messed with the S3 and I find the weight and size to be rather annoying, and the Android operating system just isn't practical, at least for me.
If you want endless customization options, open-sourced apps from G-d knows where, an over-saturated display, and a mildly smooth UI, I'd go with the S3. However, if you want something that you don't have to worry about continuously tweaking; that has a safe app ecosystem; that has a sharp, clear, realistic, high-resolution screen; and that has the smoothest UI, I'd go with the 5. I guess, basically, if you want something that just works straight out of the box with no worries, iPhone is what you'd want.

rpoli86

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion you made the right choice. I had an SG2 and the iPhone is so much better for me. I won't list them all but most importantly are battery life and it fits into my life for what I use it for.

The camera thing is all hype. It happens to many cameras, not just iPhone. Google it. It's really a common phenomena but because the iPhone has it too, people made a big deal out of it.

Each person is different and their phone should do what THEY need it to do. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all with the iPhone. It's a great device!

thanks for the help guys. I just keep thinking how the top reasons I use my phone is for:

Music (#1 for me)
Texting
Facebooking, etc social media

I just always wanted a BIGGER screen and I feel like Apple failed by making it just a bit taller as opposed to stretching it out. My main concern is that I am going to feel like I bought the EXACT same phone again. I haven't even updated to iOS6 yet so maybe that will make it a more "fresh" experience?

I'm just worried about not being able to play my music on the GS3, and also I know my friend has said she has to worry about viruses....it's ridiculous how buying a phone is a big decision in our lives...LOL

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

I have the iPhone 5 and am going to check out the S3 this afternoon at the Verizon store. I think the 5 is an awesome phone, I really do. I am just a bit bored with it after owning all of the generations and I am disappointed that many of the apps I use are not utilizing the 4" screen and possibly never will. I love the huge screen on the S3, but there are also definite drawbacks to the S3 so don't think just because there have been negative reports on the 5, that you won't find the same amount if not more potential issuesi wth the S3. My advice to you? Do as I am. Check them both out and stick with the one that you, and only you, can be happy with. Not a soul on this forum can do that for you because everyone here has their own bias, own reasons for owning a phone, own interpretations, etc. Good luck!!

rpoli86

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have had the 5 since the 21st and I absolutely love it; the dimensions, the OS, the speed, etc. I've messed with the S3 and I find the weight and size to be rather annoying, and the Android operating system just isn't practical, at least for me. If you like endless customization options, open-sourced apps from G-d knows where, an over-saturated display, and a mildly smooth UI, I'd go with the S3. However, if you want something that you don't have to worry about continuously tweaking; that has a safe app ecosystem; that has a sharp, clear, realistic, high-resolution screen; and that has the smoothest UI, I'd go with the 5. I guess, basically, if you want something that just works straight out of the box with no worries, iPhone is what you'd want.

EXXOD you may have hit the nail on the head. I just keep thinking I already have a MacBook, so I can literally take my iPhone 5 out of the box, sync up and have everything loaded on my phone as opposed to learning a whole new system. And my friend has said she has to keep virus software on her phone?? That seems crazy to me.

I just keep thinking if I get the GS3, I will love all the customizing for the first month...then be over it and wish I could be back on the iPhone 5. I have read conflicting reviews about speed, one article said the 5 blew the GS3 out of the water...another said the GS3 was sooo much better. I just want a dang honest opinion.

my main reason for phone:

#1 music
email,facebook,text
banking

I dont watch videos and I dont play games.

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I have both. I didn't have my iPhone 5 for a whole week while I was waiting for my 32 gb to come I switched it out originally had the 16, and let me tell you, I missed my iPhone SO bad. Widgets aren't as useful as u think I used them now and then but I always ended up getting rid of them because they were annoying. iOS is perfect to me everything is how I need it and nothing beats iOS in organization and tasks. Plus a lot of apps on android put spam in your notification bar I hate that. I have the S3 because I rooted and flash ROM's on it and even that gets old. The grass isn't always greener on the other side and a buddy of mine made this same mistake and traded his iPhone 5 for an S3 on Craig's list and regrets it so much lol. I love android tho trust me I'm not flaming android, just giving u my personal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Also, even tho it may get annoying sometimes, Apple (iOS) ALWAYS asks u if its ok that an app send push notifications or uses your info, and that is easily configured in settings. Android doesn't ask u

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had a Samsung Galaxy S3 since launch and I bought an iPhone 5 at launch too, so i would like to feel I am at least qualified to give my thoughts on my personal experiences with both devices. I

I've written in a number of threads about my experiences and rather than regurgitate them here, i'll just provide links to a couple of the threads as there are many other great posts there which would hopefully be a useful read for you.

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5-forum/241824-first-encounter.html

http://forums.imore.com/sprint-forum/241151-new-i-phone-4s-traded-new-galaxy-s3.html

---------- Post Merged at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Also, even tho it may get annoying sometimes, Apple (iOS) ALWAYS asks u if its ok that an app send push notifications or uses your info, and that is easily configured in settings. Android doesn't ask u

Yep, I agree and this is one feature I like about iOS. Android used to push ads to my notification bar, which I hated with a passion. Many apps wouldn't allow you to turn those off either. iOS apps always ask you, which I find much more to my liking.

rpoli86

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

you guys are really making me feel like I made the right decision thank you!! now if the dang phone would ship already. I just have to face facts i have over $2000 worth of music purchased over the years from the iTunes stores, I have an iPad, and an MacBook. Its just easier to have it all sync together.

even my friend mentioned that widgets are cool but after a while you dont even bother using them...

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Thinking about this, and I think I mentioned it in another thread, some Android apps are so invasive at pushing ads and other spurious crap to your notification bar, with no way of turning them off, that you have to get another app in order to fix the first app. Rubbish.

even my friend mentioned that widgets are cool but after a while you dont even bother using them...

It's true. I had loads to start, then whittled them down to two that I wanted on my home screen. One was the time in big numbers with a weather function. On the iPhone, the time is still there, just smaller and the weather function is available in the swipe down notification bar, no big deal. The other widget was a data/calls/.text usage indicator but as they say "There's an app for that!" so again, no big deal to lose it.

Customisation is great but only you can decide if it's something that makes or breaks the deal. For me, having a solidly reliable phone was enough to make me sell my Galaxy S3 (last week as it happens).

rpoli86

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had a Samsung Galaxy S3 since launch and I bought an iPhone 5 at launch too, so i would like to feel I am at least qualified to give my thoughts on my personal experiences with both devices. I

I've written in a number of threads about my experiences and rather than regurgitate them here, i'll just provide links to a couple of the threads as there are many other great posts there which would hopefully be a useful read for you.

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5-forum/241824-first-encounter.html

http://forums.imore.com/sprint-forum/241151-new-i-phone-4s-traded-new-galaxy-s3.html

---------- Post Merged at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Yep, I agree and this is one feature I like about iOS. Android used to push ads to my notification bar, which I hated with a passion. Many apps wouldn't allow you to turn those off either. iOS apps always ask you, which I find much more to my liking.

thanks so much! going to read them right now. thanks so much everyone. greatly appreciated

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I was with a friend on the weekend who is considering switching to an iPhone 5. He has an HTC and he says the battery drains ridiculously fast so after listening to music half the morning the battery is pretty much dead. I have another friend who is in the same boat as you he took a look at his brother's GS3 this weekend and he said although the screen is nice and big it has a blue cast to it. He also said it looks very plasticky like a fake screen. The camera he found was worst than the 4s and like you said you're already involved in the iTunes ecosystem. My friend has been using an iPhone 3G so he is not that biased having not been able to use iOS past 3.2 or something.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the help guys. I just keep thinking how the top reasons I use my phone is for:

Music (#1 for me)
Texting
Facebooking, etc social media

I just always wanted a BIGGER screen and I feel like Apple failed by making it just a bit taller as opposed to stretching it out. My main concern is that I am going to feel like I bought the EXACT same phone again. I haven't even updated to iOS6 yet so maybe that will make it a more "fresh" experience?

I'm just worried about not being able to play my music on the GS3, and also I know my friend has said she has to worry about viruses....it's ridiculous how buying a phone is a big decision in our lives...LOL

I am not going to say anything new that hasn't been said by others but I have owned both so I will chime in. I live in a fringe area for reception and my 4S did a very good job. My 5 does even better. My S3...I couldn't hardly make a call, and when I did, it would drop. Every time. So I would say in an area where you may get an average signal, the S3 failed miserably. I like Android. I think its a great platform, but if you put a gun to my head and made me get one, it would be the new Motorola RAZR MAXX HD that is about to come out. Everyone says Android gives more choices, like you're not stuck with the same keyboard or the same messaging app. You can download alternatives. Maybe there are alternatives because the stock ones actually are awful. And on iOS they work, and work really well. Now I am not hating on Android, its a great platform and neither are without flaws. But I prefer iOS.

My top reasons I use my phone are pretty much in line with yours, and I think they all are better on iOS. As for the camera, someone mentioned the S3 wasn't as good as the 4S and I agree. And the 5 is, even if its only slightly, better.

weblou

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
For me Apple's ecosystem is HUGE no. I have a MacBook, iMac, iPhone 4s... I had (iPhone3G/3Gs and 4 also). I never want to be stuck getting a device because i have to much $$ invested into it.
2K in music is a lot... i would probably get the iP5 just for that fact.

Also after having iPhone's for the last 4years (and some BB during that time) i'm happy to try something new. Im not an expert with android (only had it 2 weeks) but it's amazing how much more you could customize your phone. You could literarily do and change anything you want it. keyboard, notifications, profiles, email apps etc... there's an app for everything.

I like playing around with my phone and changing things up... Android is great for that.
The S3 runs super smooth.. it's very fast. i don't know how other Android phones are since i never used any.

i say get the iP5.. you seem to be leaning towards it a little more... and you have 2k of itunes music

I don't think you could go wrong with any device

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
EXXOD you may have hit the nail on the head. I just keep thinking I already have a MacBook, so I can literally take my iPhone 5 out of the box, sync up and have everything loaded on my phone as opposed to learning a whole new system. And my friend has said she has to keep virus software on her phone?? That seems crazy to me.

I just keep thinking if I get the GS3, I will love all the customizing for the first month...then be over it and wish I could be back on the iPhone 5. I have read conflicting reviews about speed, one article said the 5 blew the GS3 out of the water...another said the GS3 was sooo much better. I just want a dang honest opinion.

my main reason for phone:

#1 music
email,facebook,text
banking

I dont watch videos and I dont play games.

I'm glad I could help.

As for the speed comparisons, it depends on the ROMs and whatnot that is installed on the S3, what the CPU is clocked at (whether or not it's over clocked). Basically, for the S3 to beat the 5 in speed, it has to be over clocked and tweaked to death.

soogriff

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
This all comes down to personal preference. Our experiences aren't going to be the same as yours. I love my 5. I upgraded from the 4. I thought the longer screen would be an issue but I love the screen real estate. It's nice. I have a few coworkers that own the GS3 and it's just way too big. I need my phone to be somewhat pocketable. Then again, I have small hands so I don't need a ginormous screen. I love the camera on this phone. I haven't had any issues with purple streaks. I also have my phone in a case so scratches aren't an issue. I haven't had any reception/internet issues. (I live in the Dallas metroplex) LTE is blazing fast. It kicks my wifi's butt. Love it. No regrets here.

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I've had 3 android devices before going to the iPhone 5 (and 3 Blackberry's before that!). There are things I miss on android, but overall I like iPhone & iOS better. The battery life (insane difference here), stability, and consistency of apps if the biggest plus for me. I do miss widgets, but honestly I only liked the weather and wi-fi switch widgets. The amount of time it takes me to swipe to the screen with the calendar widget, I can just as easily click the calendar icon on my iphone, so no lost there really. I think widgets are a bit overrated as well. I couldn't believe how quickly I got over them with the iPhone.

I wouldn't bother with Android unless you are going to root and install after market ROMs. I did that a lot and it made the phone run better with a little bit better battery life, but I got tired of flashing all the time. I like how iOS works well out of the box, even though options & apps may be a bit limited. Another big reason I rooted was to have free wi-fi tether, but now I get that with my shared data plan.

Apple maps is no where near as good as Google Maps on Android, but still overall I like iOS better.

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
App Store for apple has much better apps than the android App Store and the iPhone 5 will be supported for longer and have a much better resale value than the GS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner