Never before owning a apple I am ready to switch over to the iPhone. Due to no availability at the moment and a few issues some are having should I get the 4s as my first iphone and be tied in to a 2 year contract and give apple time to issue any fixes for the 5 and maybe in 2 years the 5s may be out?
    10-14-2012 09:30 AM
    It'd be silly to get a year old phone as new.
    10-14-2012 09:40 AM
    Never before owning a apple I am ready to switch over to the iPhone. Due to no availability at the moment and a few issues some are having should I get the 4s as my first iphone and be tied in to a 2 year contract and give apple time to issue any fixes for the 5 and maybe in 2 years the 5s may be out?
    Short answer, no.

Get the iPhone 5 now. It is far and away better than the 4S (although the 4S is a phenomenal phone indeed). To be honest, if you consider that there have been millions and millions of iPhone 5 units produced, some are bound to experience issues; it's just a fact of life and the same with every other manufacturer of any other item since time immemorial.

Although there are those here on the forum who have experienced genuine issues with their new iPhones, which is regrettable indeed and I hope they get them resolved soon, in the wider world there is a lot of scaremongering going on and the anti-apple brigade are jumping on every single little perceived flaw imaginable and blowing it up out of all proportions. I will concede that Apple maps is perhaps not the best piece of mapping software (although I haven't experienced any issues with it and I use it a lot).

I think you will regret it if you buy the 4S as many of the issues seem to be OS related, rather than hardware related. My iPhone 5 is flawless for instance. Amazing battery life that is far and away better than my 4, a better screen and I do have the perception of it being faster in pretty much everything. Two years is a very long time in the world of consumer electronics...

Your mileage may vary of course.
    tuffy100 likes this.
    10-14-2012 09:50 AM
    iPhone 4S is a fine device, it offers some fantastic features and is a steal for what you can buy it now (under contract).

That said, the iPhone 5 is a better device all around, will have better value next year (in the case you want to sell your phone and buy the newest Apple yearly release), and you get to enjoy LTE speeds (if your area supports such). All in all, if i were in the market to buy one or the other, and had the means to buy the iPhone 5, i would, unquestionably, choose it.
    10-14-2012 12:35 PM
    -The ip5 will have better resale value in two years.
    -You'll have longer software support for the iphone 5. At least 3 years
    -LTE
    -Even if the 4S is 100 dollars I'd recommend going for the 5
    10-14-2012 01:04 PM
    I'm in agreement with the others. Now that the iPhone 5 is out, it doesn't make sense to buy last year's model "under contract". Despite the things you may have heard in regard to the iPhone 5 and iOS 6, it is still THE phone to get so don't hesitate to get it. The device is just a little over a month old and availability is no different than it was when the 4S was released last year. Depending on where you look, you may find one immediately. Even if you don't, you may have to wait a week or two and I'm sure you can handle that. Anyway, take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend...
    10-14-2012 01:21 PM
    Definitely the 5. Without a doubt.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    10-14-2012 01:35 PM
    thanks to everyone. it seems the 5 wins hand down. that is what i will get
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    10-14-2012 09:12 PM