It's basic Economics 101... supply and demand... sorry to the OP that you are having issues finding your iPhone 5 for purchase, but with the strong demand, it's going to be a hard find. Ramping up production can only go so far, as this happens each time a new Apple device is announced/released for sale... and each year the demand exceeds that of the previous year.

I have been checking around the local BestBuy stores (bestbuy.com) and found several of the stores in my area with stock from time to time... and they have a buy on line/pick up in the store option, too.

Good luck with your search.
    10-16-2012 10:34 AM
    It's basic Economics 101... supply and demand... sorry to the OP that you are having issues finding your iPhone 5 for purchase, but with the strong demand, it's going to be a hard find. Ramping up production can only go so far, as this happens each time a new Apple device is announced/released for sale... and each year the demand exceeds that of the previous year.

I have been checking around the local BestBuy stores (bestbuy.com) and found several of the stores in my area with stock from time to time... and they have a buy on line/pick up in the store option, too.

Good luck with your search.
    I've seen some on BestBuy.com and it says my local store has them in stock, but you still can't buy/in-store pickup on the iPhone 5. It's in store only. But it's worth a shot to call the store; just ignore the prerecorded message most of them have saying they don't have any in stock.

Also, another store I called showed them in stock, but the manager said they were for preorders still. How much time does someone have to pick up a preorder?? I'd say if they haven't picked it up by now, they aren't going to.
    10-16-2012 11:48 AM
    awwe... boo hoo, I cant find an iPhone a month after launch date. I'm from the NY metro area and I'm away at school and I have no apple stores around me so I'm forced to order and wait 3-4 weeks for it to ship. Its because of crying people waiting outside of apple stores and franticly trying at 10pm is the reason why I have to wait extra time for my iPhone to ship when I am already a paying customer.
    Actually, you are not a paying customer as you are not charged until it is shipped. Those crying people waiting outside of apple stores to get it as soon as they can are in fact paying customers because they problably got their phone
    10-16-2012 01:42 PM
    Ordered my upgrade iPhone 5 black 32mb last Wednesday. Had a shipping date of Oct 26. Receive an email Sunday night that it has shipped and will be here this Wednesday. Really surprised by this after reading how hard they are to get a hold of.

---------- Post Merged at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:21 AM ----------

Ordered my upgrade iPhone 5 black 32mb last Wednesday. Had a shipping date of Oct 26. Receive an email Sunday night that it has shipped and will be here this Wednesday. Really surprised by this after reading how hard they are to get a hold of.
    what did you order through? Apple or a carrier?

I ordered mine on the 3rd and I still dont have any information it just still processing and my credit card has yet to be charged.

---------- Post Merged at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:36 PM ----------

so Apple just shouldn't even have pre orders then, whats the point of taking orders if you're giving priority to people who 1 month later suddenly want to pick up the phone.

That is absolute B S.
    10-16-2012 05:39 PM
    so Apple just shouldn't even have pre orders then, whats the point of taking orders if you're giving priority to people who 1 month later suddenly want to pick up the phone.

That is absolute B S.
    The in-store pickup is a different supply chain within Apple... they have the online sales and retail sales, plus all the non-Apple retail sales. Since the phone was released on 9/21, there aren't any more "pre-orders"...
    10-16-2012 06:00 PM
    i'm in Canada (Montreal, Qc)

If you stick to Future Shop or Best Buy, you can get your hands on one within days...I'd stay away from the Carriers...they seem to create too many hurdles and are not helpful in giving you insight into how to get one...after a week of calling Best Buy every few days, I finally got my 16 GB in black (slate)...this is the most popular desired variant...had i wanted a white or 64GB, you could find one quite easily...

after one week, I am truly enjoying my device...i had been iPhone-less for about 8 months - gave my iphone 4s to my son and used a BlackBerry for a while...i also managed to use a Samsung GS3 for a week and HTC One X for a few days...both good devices...but I prefer the dimensions and build quality of the iPhone....and it's flawless integration into my home's media life....we have 3 iPhone's, an iPod, 2 iPads, a MacBook Air 11", a MacBook Pro 17", and an Apple TV...it just makes sense...
    10-16-2012 08:17 PM
    I am a Sprint customer and I waited too long to pre-order mine, as I was still contemplating whether I was jumping on the Apple bandwagon. Of course, when release day came and my friends received their pre-orders and I had a chance to play with the 5, my mind was made up. So my hunt began. I contacted local apple stores and one near family in STL, to no avail. Sprint wanted a $50 'deposit' to even be added to their waiting list (refused to give them money to simply be added to a longggg waiting list). I even tried BestBuy on release date, but all their phone were reserved for pre-orders.

I made the decision to just call each day and see how would get one first. Apple and Sprint never seemed to get one and BestBuy would sell out before I could ever get someone on the phone. The Tuesday following release day, I just made the decision to go to Best Buy and Sprint (Apple store is an hour drive) when they opened and check personally. Best Buy opened first, I walked in, talked to BB Mobile manager -- and sure enough they had one 32gb and one 64gb in stock. After checking to make sure that they were not already claimed, I walked out the proud owner of my first iPhone. Black, 64gb and awesome.

Moral of the story: Just go to the store if that is an option and personally speak with someone. You have to think that the people that answer the phone may be tired of all the i5 hype and just answer "Out of stock" because at this point that is really easy for the caller to believe and they don't have to really answer any questions past that. Or they are probably just going of the last thing they heard. I have never really had much luck with carrier stores with high demand items near release date (ie. my Palm Pre ).

Hope everyone gets what they want for Christmas!

--Rich
    10-17-2012 09:25 AM
    I returned my black 16 gig yesterday because I should have got a 32. I'll eat up the memory in that phone before I can get another one. I called about 10 stores yesterday, 5 this morning and have been searching stores online today. Nothing. At least for AT&T. Found a bunch of stores with Sprint phones. I like the challenge but damn... I'm striking out! Oh well, I'll give it a couple more days. If I don't find one local, I'll order online.
    10-17-2012 10:55 AM
    I made the HUGE mistake of preordering my Iphone from an 'Authorized" AT&T retail outlet [instead of the real AT&T store]. I had purchased a phone for my mother there last May, and the sales guy had told me to go there for the Iphone since they were a smaller outlet and wouldnt have as many customers. So here is my timeline of woe:

-Went to the store on 9/14 to preorder and PAID IN FULL ($329) for a 32GB IPhone 5, didnt care if it was Black or White. Salesguy told me I was one of the first guys to order so should have it soon
    -Expected a call on 9/21, and when I called to ask if my phone was in, was told nope, it will be in "within two weeks"
    -Called Tues 9/18, spoke to the manager, was told I was on the top of the list, should have the phone 'soon'
    -Called back on 9/26, was told no phones were in, dont know when they are coming.
    -Called 9/28--no one answered the phone until after 4PM, guy told me "Man im the wrong guy to talk to"
    -Called on 10/1 called the real AT&T store, was told "you should have had your phone by now" but nothing from my retial store.
    -Called 10/10, salesman mumbled some stuff, still no phones. Now I called AT&T Customer Service to see if they could rectify the problem, they called the store, and no solution.
    -Called last Friday 10/12 spoke to the manager, and was told he was getting a "bulk shipment" this week, should be able to fill all his preorders.

Waiting for a call today. It has been more than a month since I paid for my phone and I have yet to receive it. Really perplexed what to do. If I cancel, they want to charge me a $50 resotcking fee. Plus If I cancel now it will still take another month to get the phone. Complaining to AT&T didnt resolve anything. This has left the worst taste in my mouth. i am defiently going to complain to the Better Buisness Bureau about this place, but I dont know what to do to try and resolve this. Giving the guy another call right now...
    10-17-2012 01:04 PM
    I made the HUGE mistake of preordering my Iphone from an 'Authorized" AT&T retail outlet [instead of the real AT&T store]. I had purchased a phone for my mother there last May, and the sales guy had told me to go there for the Iphone since they were a smaller outlet and wouldnt have as many customers. So here is my timeline of woe:

-Went to the store on 9/14 to preorder and PAID IN FULL ($329) for a 32GB IPhone 5, didnt care if it was Black or White. Salesguy told me I was one of the first guys to order so should have it soon
    -Expected a call on 9/21, and when I called to ask if my phone was in, was told nope, it will be in "within two weeks"
    -Called Tues 9/18, spoke to the manager, was told I was on the top of the list, should have the phone 'soon'
    -Called back on 9/26, was told no phones were in, dont know when they are coming.
    -Called 9/28--no one answered the phone until after 4PM, guy told me "Man im the wrong guy to talk to"
    -Called on 10/1 called the real AT&T store, was told "you should have had your phone by now" but nothing from my retial store.
    -Called 10/10, salesman mumbled some stuff, still no phones. Now I called AT&T Customer Service to see if they could rectify the problem, they called the store, and no solution.
    -Called last Friday 10/12 spoke to the manager, and was told he was getting a "bulk shipment" this week, should be able to fill all his preorders.

Waiting for a call today. It has been more than a month since I paid for my phone and I have yet to receive it. Really perplexed what to do. If I cancel, they want to charge me a $50 resotcking fee. Plus If I cancel now it will still take another month to get the phone. Complaining to AT&T didnt resolve anything. This has left the worst taste in my mouth. i am defiently going to complain to the Better Buisness Bureau about this place, but I dont know what to do to try and resolve this. Giving the guy another call right now...
    It's funny because I was just coming back to this forum to update people on my tales of woe when I saw your post. I made the OP sounding off on the lack of availability. Then I got a glimmer of hope when I ordered through AT&T after they told me the phone was shipping in 24 hours - I wrote about this on the last page. That was on 10/15. So, 10/16 after 24hrs since my purchase ... nothing, 10/17 after 48 hrs after purchase ... still pending. So I call up the store and they played stupid and said they were not sure why the sales rep told me 24 hrs, and they have not heard of such a thing since it had been released. They said the shipping was 3-4 weeks still. This enfuriated me because I based my purchase on that information and I think the guy was just trying to get the sale. I want him fired!! I spoke to the manager and the best he could do was cancel my order, now I am back at square 1 with no phone. To make matters worse, I have only 10 days left at my locked in price with Gazelle to ship my old phone back. I called around everywhere again, nothing! This is ridiculous!
    10-17-2012 02:58 PM
    Hey, hope this isn't considered too spammy, but I saw this thread and thought this info might be interesting to a few people here still looking to find an iPhone. Videomaker magazine is right now giving away a free iPhone 5 in a sweepstakes
    Yeah, not big on posting "sweepstakes" spam around here...
    10-17-2012 03:29 PM
    After I read some of the other responses in this thread, I checked a local Radio Shack near my office [I am in Pittsburgh Pa, the Radio Shack is in Market Square] and they saleperson said they had them in stock--aksed me what brand I needed. I have to get an AT&T one [tied into a family plan] and he said the four he had in stock had been requested by other customers he had already called. He also told me that he had a number of 32GB models that were tied into Sprint, than anyone could walk in to buy. I guess they are coming in to different retailers. Unfortunatly my money is tied up at the "Authorized Retailer".

I do have complaints in to AT&T's fraud division [which was going to be transfered to the dept that handles authorized retialers] as well as filed a complaint online with the Better Buisness Bureau.
    10-17-2012 03:58 PM
    Between 16/32/64GB models, the 64GB ships pretty quick. I got mine in 4 business days.
    10-17-2012 05:58 PM
    I ordered mine on the 28th September, release date of the Iphone 5 for Portugal.

It says on the order status that estimated delivery is between 24-30 October.

Really expect the IP5 to ship earlier, but it seems that it not going to be the case, is it? I guess there are even more chances of the delivery date to be delayed than anticipated...
    10-17-2012 06:29 PM
    check eBay or CL...you might be able to get one for ~$1k. pre-order, try the 10pm Apple store order, order and suck up the wait time.
    10-18-2012 12:11 AM
    went down to my local att store yesterday and its a 2-3 week wait
    10-21-2012 05:28 PM
    Apple site at 10pm click in store pick up and refresh until one shows up and click buy make sure your payment info is saved it will go faster
    10-21-2012 06:50 PM
    The Wal Mart near my house had a few 16GB models available but I wanted more storage space. Thankfully after three or four days of trying to order after 10pm, I finally snagged up a 64 GB at a nearby apple store. Just keep trying. Good luck to ya.
    10-21-2012 07:36 PM
    Hi! Just wanted to add my input. I ordered from AT&T the 28 of September, they told me 14-21 business days, at around the 15th business day, the status changed from processing to back order. So I was advised by apple to cancel the order and "preorder" on their website between 10p-4a and I could pick it up the next day.. Absolutely no iPhones available as far as 3 states over, tried all colors and sizes. So I decided to check best buy, the first one I went to, online said they had both 16gb and 32gb available in store only, went in and was told they were for preorders only.. (Still!?) went to the next store which online showed they had 16gb available and after waiting for help for about 20 minutes while the single person working in mobile worked with a woman (I was happy to wait as long as they had an iPhone for me) finally he asked me if I just had a quick question, I told him my intentions and he said they had an iPhone for me, awesome! My point.. Check other retail stores, I hear radio shacks have them, check every nearby best buy! Loving my new 16gb white iPhone 5
    10-24-2012 03:01 AM
    Hi! Just wanted to add my input. I ordered from AT&T the 28 of September, they told me 14-21 business days, at around the 15th business day, the status changed from processing to back order. So I was advised by apple to cancel the order and "preorder" on their website between 10p-4a and I could pick it up the next day.. Absolutely no iPhones available as far as 3 states over, tried all colors and sizes. So I decided to check best buy, the first one I went to, online said they had both 16gb and 32gb available in store only, went in and was told they were for preorders only.. (Still!?) went to the next store which online showed they had 16gb available and after waiting for help for about 20 minutes while the single person working in mobile worked with a woman (I was happy to wait as long as they had an iPhone for me) finally he asked me if I just had a quick question, I told him my intentions and he said they had an iPhone for me, awesome! My point.. Check other retail stores, I hear radio shacks have them, check every nearby best buy! Loving my new 16gb white iPhone 5
    The white version has been widely available for almost a week now in the NY area through the next day pickup option on the online apple store. As far as the black, still have been unable to find a 32gb for my wife. Gazelle offer runs out in 10 days, so the clock is ticking to find one.
    10-24-2012 06:01 AM
    Have faith!!! I ordered my iphone 5 from ATT on October 7. It said 14-21 days to ship. My order status has been Back Ordered for most of that time. Yesterday I got an email that my order had shipped. I should receive my IP5 on Monday, October 29. Two long days ahead.
    10-28-2012 08:04 AM
    Today I was going to purchase an IP5 on Craigslist, but I needed to swing by the AT&T store to grab a nano sim card. Without even thinking, I told the salesman I need to get a nano sim for an IP5 I'm about to purchase unless you guys have some phones on hand here. He said hold on a sec, we have some 64GB models available. Walked out of the store 15 mins later with my new 64GB Black/Slate.

I guess it's just the luck of the draw.
    11-01-2012 02:25 AM
    I had a bit of a nightmare, i ordered through t-mobile uk on the 14th sept . But they screwed up something with my credit check and then didn't bother to tell me about it, called In on 19th to make sure I was still on for the 21st to be told about previous screw up. Ended up having to send a letter and bunch of paperwork to prove they screwed up the credit check which then meant they didn't process order till the 24th.

Which in itself wasn't end of the world. But over the next few weeks t-mobile proved they have no idea what they are doing, with people who ordered their phones on 14sept getting them after people who ordered on 25th sept it was all over the place.

I was lucky and it was about 2.5/3 weeks for my delivery but know there were plenty of people who's orders were processed well before mine which hadn't received theirs over a week after me.
    11-01-2012 03:35 AM
    Knowing the wait is 3 or 4 weeks still, I wish I could order now and get the phones when our upgrade with Verizon hits on November 23rd. It sucks to know that unless we get lucky we have to wait another 3 or 4 weeks after that. Oh well, our phones still work so, like someone else said, I guess a few more weeks isn't going to kill us. As long as its before Xmas. This is what we are getting each other this year.
    11-01-2012 01:37 PM
    I just ordered a 64G black vzw for my wife's Christmas present. Expected delivery per the confirmation is Dec 4 to 10.
    11-01-2012 02:55 PM
77 1234