Definitely a drive by thread. Pretty common.
    10-15-2012 01:04 AM
    Thanks. That is appreciated.
    10-15-2012 01:04 AM
    Two of my friends are having iPhone 5 and as per them battery life is much batter than iPhone 4 or 4s.
    10-15-2012 02:34 AM
    IPHONE 5 Is'nt as good as the 4-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350285530.120830.jpg

I've never had a problem with battery life on the iPhone 5. Sorry if you're having trouble, OP

(Assuming you ever see this. Drive by thread...)

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    10-15-2012 03:19 AM
    My friend got her iphone 5 too, and her previous phone is iphone 4. I haven’t heard any complaint so far yet, seems she loves it much and upload much more things to fb now!
    10-15-2012 04:20 AM
    The big issue is that the battery life is no good, i cannot get 5 hours out of my iPhone 5, make it hard when you are on the road all day.

the other issue is that the reception is not as good as the 4s.

in short if you have the 4s do not upgrade
    Another one post wonder.
    10-15-2012 07:14 AM
    You know you don't have to read every thread let alone comment on it!
    Private, with all do respect, i uderstand your point here. But, heres mine: Since the i5 has been released there have been countless amounts of thread started by trolls and drive by posters with negative titles causing a "ruckess" that the i5 is a terrible device. Now, we all know that no phone is perfect - each will have it little flaws here and there. I also do realize that there are members here that truly have issues with either wifi, signal, accessing the app store etc. Those members usually post in an on-going thread seeking help, or at that point if there isnt one, they will create one. Now if this OP was truly seeking help/assistance, first i would tend to think they would've searched out one of the on-going threads in regards to battery life and posted there, OR if they really wanted to create their own thread, they would've chosen a better title - not something to bash the i5 right off the bat. To top it all off, the OP never returned.

SO, as i previously said in this thread, it does get frustrating after a while to see threads like this, and as Fausty has pointed out, there are times that some of us here will post our frustration on it

Actually, I tend to agree with Pink's observation... and we seem to get a lot of these "drive by" posts... folks who come in and take pot shots at Apple, or their latest device... but never bother to stick around and try to find answers... or even ever post here again... OP is pretty typical - nothing specific or quantifiable, and no follow up to explain or seek help...
    My comment about the "drive by" was not directed at you... there have been several similar threads started by people for whom that was their first and only post... in this case, it was the OP's ONLY post on the entire site... he didn't even stick around to see if anyone offered any help at all.

That said, there are many here who, like Pink (and others) who do try to help... and sometimes our annoyance with the "drive by" behavior comes out in a comment.

And please don't take any offense, as it was not intended... we all started with our first post... stick around, read a lot and post when you do have something to offer... it's how you learn and how you become a part of the community.
    +1. Fausty thank you, and i couldnt agree more with you.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    10-15-2012 08:26 AM
    You know what's amazing is that I KNOW there have to be people out there that got the iPhone 5 and legitimately don't care for it...just like many of us have done with the Android devices, and i would LOVE to have some of those people here, have a few of them around that could balance out the obviously biased nature of a device specific forum.

That said, the ones we end up getting 9 times out of 10 are the kind that can't help themselves but to troll the forum, or do this kind of cowardly "drive by" posting (as it was coined earlier). It seems impossible for them to come here, display their distaste for the device but not try to demean those that do love the iPhone, or try to attack Apple as a company.

Now i think it's funny arguing with these morons from time to time, it's even somewhat entertaining, but it would be nice to have an Android device fan that came here, showed distaste for the iPhone but no disrespect for those that disagree with them. Do they exist?
    10-15-2012 08:41 AM
    people will always find something to complain about...whether its battery life, screen size, or cell connection. I used to work as a server/bartender and this guy reminds me of the one that would come in and WHINE about everything...never happy no matter what you do. But like i learned then, just because they are not happy does not have to affect my happiness. I had a Samsung Focus before my iphone 5 and while the Focus was really good on battery life, i still had to charge it every evening. My iphone 5...every other day.
    10-15-2012 10:00 AM
    Question, When setting up as new can I still use the cloud to sync my contacts and calendar?
    I am one of the few that after unplugging in the morning, only get five hours of use and 8 hours of standby on my battery. My service indicator does not show LTE it only shows 4G With at least three bars anywhere I go, I am on AT&T.
    10-15-2012 10:20 AM
    Question, When setting up as new can I still use the cloud to sync my contacts and calendar?
    Yes, just configure your device with your iCloud credentials and you're back in business.
    I am one of the few that after unplugging in the morning, only get five hours of use and 8 hours of standby on my battery. My service indicator does not show LTE it only shows 4G With at least three bars anywhere I go, I am on AT&T.
    do you have apps that constantly update your location (Foursquare, Twitter, Passbook, etc.)? Do you have push notifications setup for Twitter, Facebook and other non-email related apps? Do you stream audio or video a lot? If no to the above then I suggest you plug your device into iTunes and restore as new.
    10-15-2012 10:35 AM
    Seeing this was really helpful. Also, the 4s is half the price in the market now. So it really is smarter to buy the 4s.
    That may be true for some people... but remember, that the older a device is, the sooner it will get dropped from the list for newer features... and as Apple continues to update iOS, features for the newest devices will be omitted for inclusion/use on the older devices... and next year, the 4S will be 2 years old, and hold the place in the pecking order that is currently held by the 4... as time goes on, it will be left behind...

If cost is the major consideration, then, yes, the iPhone 4S may be a better "buy" for you... as long as you understand the long term consequences of such a purchase.

---------- Post Merged at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:19 AM ----------

I just want to comment that threads like this are why I am here. The iMore community is a great mix of fans, users, detractors and haters... yet for the most part, we can all get along in some fashion. Here we've taken an obvious "trollish" post and turned it into a positive without resorting to getting ugly about it.

Heck, we might even have helped someone in this thread, too.
    10-15-2012 11:25 AM
    [rant]dear lord....ANOTHER negative thread on the i5 is this, that and the other thing ....jeez. if you dont like the iphone, get SOMETHING else [/rant]

sorry, i cant stand seeing many more of these threads anymore!
    I actually like them because then you see the real answers when 1 person says it's bad and 20 others say it's fine. Hmmmmmmm which one would I believe? lol
    10-15-2012 12:59 PM
    The hell are you talking about....... dont just take your experience with your particular unit and judge all other units and call them worse than the Ip4. I for one have a ip4 and love it dearly and although the ip5 does have some issues it still runs laps around my ip4 while doing back flips and juggling girl scouts all at the same time. Maybe do a restore or get your unit replaced....

Also change the title of this thread if possible... ugh
    10-15-2012 02:03 PM
    I actually like them because then you see the real answers when 1 person says it's bad and 20 others say it's fine. Hmmmmmmm which one would I believe? lol
    Define "real answers"....
    10-15-2012 03:21 PM
    I'll trade you eith a 4 OR a 4s straight up for your 5!
    10-15-2012 03:22 PM
    I just care about more well thought out critique from people who aren't trying to troll. Like when they actually continue to participate in the discussion. I think that when sometimes they do, they're unfairly characterized as a troll.
    10-15-2012 03:43 PM
    Seeing this was really helpful. Also, the 4s is half the price in the market now. So it really is smarter to buy the 4s.
    Between the aging internals that will become obsolete before the iP5's do and the drop in value on the 4S, how do you figure it's a "smarter" buy?
    10-15-2012 03:45 PM
    I guess I'm lucky and got a good device. I unplug at 6am and by 8pm I still have around 16% with heavy usage. (apps, texts, music, etc)
    10-15-2012 03:55 PM
    There has never been any new phone (Blackberry, Android, iPhone, Samsung.....) that wasn't accompanied by an "I'm getting terrible battery life" thread. 90% of them are user problems. Always happens.
    10-15-2012 05:30 PM
    In the last 4 months I've had an Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus and 4S and my 5 is by far the best battery life I've had an I've not had it for a week yet.
    Like everyone else I'm surprised the OP thought his experience was "the norm"

Beamed from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk
    10-15-2012 05:54 PM
    There has never been any new phone (Blackberry, Android, iPhone, Samsung.....) that wasn't accompanied by an "I'm getting terrible battery life" thread. 90% of them are user problems. Always happens.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you are totally unable to provide a source for your statistics. I'm sure you're aware that 83.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot to support the claim being made.
    10-15-2012 06:07 PM
    I haven't read the whole thread but I'm going to had my 10 cents to it. I came on here to post about my battery life and searched before posting, found this thread so i don't have to create a new one. I left home about 1:30 today. Had a little over 90% battery left. Drove around for about 45 minutes, hardly used it, went for a bike ride, listened to Pandora for about 70-80 minutes (if that), did some texting for about 10-15 minutes, very little web surfing. When I got back to the car about 5. I was down to 24%. I actually turned the phone off for about 30 minutes to conserve. Turned it on around 5:25, a few calls and read two texts. Went to use it at 6:40. 3% left. That sucked! What sucked even more, as far as I know, there aren't any car chargers out yet and I don't carry the cord with me (I will be now) so my phone was quickly dead. I used to do ALOT more with my iPhone 4, Pandora for hours with a navigation program running plus texts and internet ect... The battery would last a lot longer.

And I know, it's a different phone, difference processor, LTE, it's two updates and one app away from having breakfast ready for us in the morning. I understand that but damn... my battery goes down fast!

I kind of stopped reading in this thread when I got to a little bit of "hating" going on. I love my iPhones and Apple products. I don't care that there are any other brand of phones on the market. I camped at the mall for 12 hours to get this bad boy on release day. I just want the battery to last longer. It really was a short amount of time today. Before I wrote this I was thinking, maybe we expect to much from our phones? Maybe we want them to do everything, and make breakfast plus have a better that lasts all day, maybe two. I don't know. But based on my usage today, I can tell you that the battery went down fast. I was pretty much watching that percentage tick away.

I'm kind of on the edge of an LTE area (just outside of Providence, RI). I'm going to try turning LTE off but I just don't know that we should have to turn features off and disable things to get a normal day out of the battery.
    10-15-2012 09:28 PM
    Well I read all replies from beginning to end and I don't own an iPhone 5 yet still using my 4s. Was jail broken now its running good old ios6. Not sure why I did that. Anyway I hope that when people see others post count they don't take that as being trolls. I love my iPhone and my son has an ip4 as well 3GS before that. So I understand and I get how frustrating it could be to see a post and attack it automatically cause someone said I don't like this or that. Is it really that hard to just ignore such posts? I don't think so. Anyway just wanted to let you all know that I've been a member here although my post count is not high I'm always reading and learning just so that someday I can assist with something I learned here. I apologize for my long post but I just couldn't stop typing once I started.
    10-15-2012 09:46 PM
    I haven't read the whole thread but I'm going to had my 10 cents to it. I came on here to post about my battery life and searched before posting, found this thread so i don't have to create a new one. I left home about 1:30 today. Had a little over 90% battery left. Drove around for about 45 minutes, hardly used it, went for a bike ride, listened to Pandora for about 70-80 minutes (if that), did some texting for about 10-15 minutes, very little web surfing. When I got back to the car about 5. I was down to 24%. I actually turned the phone off for about 30 minutes to conserve. Turned it on around 5:25, a few calls and read two texts. Went to use it at 6:40. 3% left. That sucked! What sucked even more, as far as I know, there aren't any car chargers out yet and I don't carry the cord with me (I will be now) so my phone was quickly dead. I used to do ALOT more with my iPhone 4, Pandora for hours with a navigation program running plus texts and internet ect... The battery would last a lot longer.

And I know, it's a different phone, difference processor, LTE, it's two updates and one app away from having breakfast ready for us in the morning. I understand that but damn... my battery goes down fast!

I kind of stopped reading in this thread when I got to a little bit of "hating" going on. I love my iPhones and Apple products. I don't care that there are any other brand of phones on the market. I camped at the mall for 12 hours to get this bad boy on release day. I just want the battery to last longer. It really was a short amount of time today. Before I wrote this I was thinking, maybe we expect to much from our phones? Maybe we want them to do everything, and make breakfast plus have a better that lasts all day, maybe two. I don't know. But based on my usage today, I can tell you that the battery went down fast. I was pretty much watching that percentage tick away.

I'm kind of on the edge of an LTE area (just outside of Providence, RI). I'm going to try turning LTE off but I just don't know that we should have to turn features off and disable things to get a normal day out of the battery.
    Based on your post, you have every right to be displeased with the battery life of your iPhone 5. There was nothing in your post that should garner hate, in my opinion, but that is partly because you kept your battery issues your own and you did not make it out to be universal. Having said that, let's see if we can find a remedy. What steps have you taken to correct the problem other than turning the device off? Have you gone through all of your settings? I recommend you take a look at everything that is seeking location based access. Also, I know it can be an inconvenience but it might be beneficial to reset your device and restore as new.
    10-15-2012 10:25 PM
61 123