Time change by location?

MattBerry08

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Odd one here. Posted in iPhone 5 but I'm wondering if its a verizon issue.

New ish iPhone 5 on Verizon. I commute. Mid way throught my commute each morning the time flips back an hour on the phone. By the time I get to my workplace, we're back to normal Eastern Standard Time. No change of settings on my end.

I'm assuming one of the Verizon antennas at that point is off an hour. (?did it set back off Daylight savings time?)

I put a ticket in with Verizon, and despite my getting a "second tier tech support ticket" I think they think I'm nuts.

Just occured to me this AM - that I do have a Verizon iPad 3 with data plan - does it pull clock signal down from the carrier like the iPhone does? Be nice to test if its more than just MY phone...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

New ish iPhone 5 on Verizon. I commute. Mid way throught my commute each morning the time flips back an hour on the phone. By the time I get to my workplace, we're back to normal Eastern Standard Time. No change of settings on my end.

I'm assuming one of the Verizon antennas at that point is off an hour. (?did it set back off Daylight savings time?)

I put a ticket in with Verizon, and despite my getting a "second tier tech support ticket" I think they think I'm nuts.

Just occured to me this AM - that I do have a Verizon iPad 3 with data plan - does it pull clock signal down from the carrier like the iPhone does? Be nice to test if its more than just MY phone...

Shot in the dark here, but do you live near a time zone line?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

It sounds like one of the towers that you are hitting along your commute has the wrong time... Sean raises a good point - if you live in an area near the time zone boundary, you could be picking up a tower across the time zone line...

Regarding the question about the time on the iPad, yes.., if you have it set to automatically set the date, then it's getting pulled from the Verizon network - from each cell tower that you hit.

A quick fix for now would be to turn off automatic time (Settings / General / Date & Time / Set Automatically [OFF]

MattBerry08

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

Thanks. So nowhere near a time zone line. NC - triad. Not even close.

I had been wondering then my sister (new iPhone 5 - further east than I, also NOT near time Zone) also Verizon - notes the same thing.

Seems only to happen when going from LTE to 3G. I've got a support ticket with Verzion open, and we've tested random things. Does NOT happen to the iPad in the same location. Happens consistently (now n=6 different days) to the iPhone 5 in the same spot every day. does NOT happen when going from 3G to LTE coverage.

Anyone else?

I did find this : that makes 4 of us :) https://discussions.apple.com/message/19775444#19775444

MattBerry08

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
And Settings > Privacy > Location Services> System Services > Setting time Zone "OFF"

I got that. Thanks. The issue isn't how to hide the bug though - the issue is "why or is there a bug"...

And is this more than just a few random phones on Verizon - or an issue with their edges of LTE to 3G coverage....

snuffleupagus99

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
A couple days ago I pulled my phone out of my pocket and found the time 4 hours fast. Had to set time manually and when I turned auto on later it was correct. Nothing like your phone saying its time to go home only to find there's 4 hours left in the work day.

On another note, as a Tarheel fan I've always known things were just not quite right with Durham. Thank you for the confirmation sir

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I got that. Thanks. The issue isn't how to hide the bug though - the issue is "why or is there a bug"...

And is this more than just a few random phones on Verizon - or an issue with their edges of LTE to 3G coverage....

My co-worker has experienced it on Verzion a few times now. Always around a specific tower, so that tower is likely set incorrect. He's calling Verizon everytime it happens until they fix it. I don't believe it's an issue inside of the phone.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My co-worker has experienced it on Verzion a few times now. Always around a specific tower, so that tower is likely set incorrect. He's calling Verizon everytime it happens until they fix it. I don't believe it's an issue inside of the phone.

It's exactly as 9erfan suggests... it's a cell tower issue... it's NOT the phone, and would happen with any device that is connecting to that tower.