I love my iPhone 5 and ios 6 but the blue UI needs to be replaced! Why hasn't Apple change the UI color yet. Seeing how nice the new iPod UI is, I would love to have a global grey UI instead of the Blue. Or even darker gray would be much sleeker. If Apple do a major UI refresh, I won't have the urge for Jailbreak themes. Just minor rant....how many agree?
    10-09-2012 12:14 PM
    I don't see how changing the color of the UI would be considered a "much needed UI refresh". That's a minor detail at best. A refresh would be a complete redesign, which IMO, is far too early in the iOS life span to do.
    10-09-2012 12:18 PM
    Considering it hasn't changed much since ios 1. I consider it major refresh, even just changing the color. I just don't see Apple completely redesigning ios. But I agree with you a minor detail which I consider big in case of ios .
    10-09-2012 12:22 PM
    i do not necessarily agree. when i do jailbreak it is for improved overall workability not visual
    Fausty82 likes this.
    10-09-2012 12:23 PM
    i do not necessarily agree. when i do jailbreak it is for improved overall workability not visual
    That's true but there are many that utilizes both, functionality and appearance when jailbreaking.
    10-09-2012 12:24 PM
    The only reason I would jailbreak is the UI. I hope at some point we'll see a theme store. I'd pay $10 easily for a nice theme.
    10-09-2012 03:27 PM
    When I wanted UI "refreshes" I used Android. I know it's redundant to say this. But, Android
    is the better choice if you want UI differences. The iPhone isn't customizable in that way and
    most likely won't ever be.
    dfb8085 likes this.
    10-09-2012 03:35 PM
    When I wanted UI "refreshes" I used Android. I know it's redundant to say this. But, Android
    is the better choice if you want UI differences. The iPhone isn't customizable in that way and
    most likely won't ever be.
    You can say it and to a degree it is true however not many who uses an iPhone is ever going to switch to Android simply just for the UI. Especially when you can get a UI change simply by Jailbreaking. I too love Jailbreaking mainly for the difference I can make in the UI. I use it for many other functional reasons but the majority is because of theming. However for people like me simply changing a color is never going to apease me. I have to say that Apple is getting quite close because it iOS 6 is enticing I have found myself on the bring of reloading my iPhone 4 many times. Then I take a look at the beautiful custom interface and I come to my senses. I don't think Apple will ever allow a theme store just because of the processor hit and the possibilities with incorrect themes, one more thing to manage. Android might allow customizing of their OS but when you're heavily involved in the iOS ecosystem and you have more than just an iPhone it is not a simple choice.
    10-09-2012 04:20 PM
    I agree I don't see Apple going to that extent to allow themes. If so they need to do something with ios, it just looks dated!
    redbeard likes this.
    10-09-2012 04:54 PM
    i used to spend a lot of time changing the look of my UI but realized, after a couple of years, that even gets boring too

seriously, how long does one actually stare at their UI? i am more concerned with getting into my next app than what color my statusbar is

now i am just happy i have a device that has great battery life, no glitches or weird situations arise at random so i can concentrate on other things
    10-09-2012 05:18 PM
    They don't need to change anything.
    ThePinkChameleon and Fit24 like this.
    10-09-2012 06:39 PM
    Yes they do, it's getting old! At some point they have to do something major in Apple's terms.
    redbeard likes this.
    10-09-2012 07:27 PM
    10-09-2012 07:30 PM
    i used to spend a lot of time changing the look of my UI but realized, after a couple of years, that even gets boring too

seriously, how long does one actually stare at their UI? i am more concerned with getting into my next app than what color my statusbar is

now i am just happy i have a device that has great battery life, no glitches or weird situations arise at random so i can concentrate on other things
    I used to be like this with my bb and themes. i would change my theme sometimes up to 6x's a day because i just couldnt find "the perfect one" When i left my bb to my 4S, i was happy to not have to battle with worrying about all of that anymore!! Which is also partly why i will not jb because i know i'll start to get sucked into a world of themes again through cydia. i prob have 200+ stored on bbsak on my laptop for my bb.

like you, i'm also happy to just use my device and have it work for me as is

---------- Post Merged at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:38 PM ----------

good read John, thanks for sharing that!
    10-09-2012 07:45 PM
    Personally I dont care about the UI , long as the phone works and does whats its suppose to do I am good with it.
    10-09-2012 07:53 PM
    I used to be like this with my bb and themes. i would change my theme sometimes up to 6x's a day because i just couldnt find "the perfect one" When i left my bb to my 4S, i was happy to not have to battle with worrying about all of that anymore!! Which is also partly why i will not jb because i know i'll start to get sucked into a world of themes again through cydia. i prob have 200+ stored on bbsak on my laptop for my bb.

like you, i'm also happy to just use my device and have it work for me as is

---------- Post Merged at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:38 PM ----------

good read John, thanks for sharing that!

amen to that, i also found myself obsessed with changing themes on both bb and android its also one reason why i like ios because i can spend my time doing more constructive things instead of hours of changing fonts colors and widgets oh the humanity....... :-)
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    10-10-2012 12:41 AM
    People forget, familiarity is also a feature. Any radical departure from the current UI, for better or for worse, will be met with severe criticism. Look at the uproar over the upcoming Windows 8 desktop UI. MS decides to finally get rid of the "Start" button, after 17 years of people saying the UI was old and stale, and go with something a bit more modern, and man oh man look at the crap they're getting for that, from EVERYBODY.

In general, most people don't want to bother learning to use a new UI, not everybody is a tech geek. They have better things to do.
    10-10-2012 04:34 AM
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Are you the same people who hate the refresh of the dialer? Cause with the whining I've heard over that small change, I hope Apple NEVER changes anything else within the basic UI.
    Fausty82 and nikkisharif like this.
    10-10-2012 08:51 AM
    I'm not sure about a 'change' per se', but, I do wish Apple would at least offer 'themes', even if it is themes that they have made themselves. That way no one can complain that this theme, or that theme is making the device slow, crappy, etc...

Just my one p...
    Ipheuria likes this.
    10-10-2012 09:17 AM
    Yes they do, it's getting old! At some point they have to do something major in Apple's terms.
    Why? They are still finding overwhelming success with their setup right now, and people are still quite happy with the UI for the most part. The old saying says "If it aint broke, don't fix it.", well i think the sales more than reflect that. Am i opposed to changes in the UI? Not at all...but a complete overhaul is not something i personally want as a fan of the current setup...i don't personally want my iPhone to look like another android device with the cheesy widgets and what not.
    10-10-2012 09:35 AM
    With everyone's given input, no body has really stated why or what they would seriously want changed... Solid points given with if it's working now and working very very well with Apple as a whole, then yes why change it...

Not everyone accepts change ... Given fact... But really, seem some may want Apple devices to be something they are not. If you want something else, then by all means, switch to something that will make you happy and more productive.. Not sure if a UI change will accomplish that....... Focus on settings and application integration.. IMO make things work better on the back end then making things messed up in the front....

Mobile devices give each user a chance to access things they have never done before. And look where we are now in this day and look where we are... Heck 20 years ago when apple was thinking this little guy up and drawing up the OS UI. They wanted to make something very simple and basic that will not cause any problems. They got it right and I truly believe they will continue. But by the sounds of a few people, they now want to make it something that in the long run they will not like either....
    10-10-2012 09:43 AM
    To be honest, i think people who are so apt to changing the entire UI of the iPhone need to go buy an android device of some sort and use it for a couple of months at least...then try iOS again and see what they think afterwards. I believe many of those saying they want all this change just want to try something different, but want it within the trusted device they have (iPhone)...Porsche did something similar to this back in 1998, when they decided (based on a big outcry for CHANGE) that the 911 platform needed a substantial "change", so they redesigned the classic look of it, and it failed...miserably...and a few years afterwards, they returned it back to its proven form (but refreshed it for a more modern time), and it worked flawlessly.

Change is not always a good thing.
    John Yester likes this.
    10-10-2012 09:55 AM
    Exactly my thoughts as well..... Hopefully they will find something that will suite them better. Then in the long run realize it's not all that they were thinking it should be...
    10-10-2012 10:04 AM
    that is why you have a term called "jailbreak" - one of the perks of the same
    10-10-2012 10:23 AM
    To be honest, i think people who are so apt to changing the entire UI of the iPhone need to go buy an android device of some sort and use it for a couple of months at least...then try iOS again and see what they think afterwards. I believe many of those saying they want all this change just want to try something different, but want it within the trusted device they have (iPhone)...Porsche did something similar to this back in 1998, when they decided (based on a big outcry for CHANGE) that the 911 platform needed a substantial "change", so they redesigned the classic look of it, and it failed...miserably...and a few years afterwards, they returned it back to its proven form (but refreshed it for a more modern time), and it worked flawlessly.

Change is not always a good thing.
    I think this is a very one sided view, not every Apple user is the same and that is why Jailbreak exists. I chane every aspect of my UI, I don't use cookie cutter themes I create my own theme so that it is exactly tailored the way I like it. I do still get bored of elements and change things up once in a while every couple of months. Now after using my iPhone like that using the stock iOS is painful. So I don't think anyone has to use Android to see the benefits of iOS. I also don't think anyone should take iOS as the be all and end all, just because it works doesn't mean there are things that can be even better.

What would I change, Apple used to be the "Think Different" company, the company that flew the pirate flag above the headqaurters. iOS needs to be more fun, by fun I don't mean laden down with tacky flashing crap. On my iPhone for instance when I get new emails it is a voice "You've got an email". This is more useful to me than buzzing, tones or vibrations because it tells me that I've got an email not a text message, notification, etc. When I get a text message "You've got a text message pick up please". My speaker icon is 3D and much more refined looking than the flat 2D ugly representation used in iOS. It is a small change that fits just right every time I turn the volume up or down. The ability to change the slider from "Slide to unlock" so that it can say more custom things. The ability to have transparent folder icons and also to put icons and folders anywhere on the usable space of the screen. The iPhone has a big beautiful screen and yet it is always cluttered up with crap. I have attached a screenshot of my tweaked homescreen which isn't cluttered with crap but it shows the wallpaper and lets the user enjoy the screen. What is the point of putting a nice wallpaper when you can barely see any of it? I am fully aware of Apple's efforts to keep the UI simple so that it appeals to the broadest of customers. There are ways you can add the functionality and retain the simplicity they just have to figure out how. They could create a more advanced IPSW that is not pushed out but resides on their servers so that anyone advanced enough to download it and install would know how to enable and use some of the customizations available. This is just one example I'm not saying that is what they should do I'm just saying there is a way they just need to figure out what it is.

I also agree that it would be cool to have even a few nice themes, Apple made that could be aplied through an Apple made app. This would go such a far way of getting a lot of Jailbreakers onto the stock OS. BTW in all the time I have run my theme I have never had constant crashing, batter issues or anything else so themes don't always have to present a system hit.

Much needed UI refresh-img_4918.png
    10-10-2012 10:52 AM
113 123 ...