Much needed UI refresh

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Yep and those of us who are considered enthusiasts, we do a bit more tinkering with our devices than what I believe to be the majority of iPhone users and thus, we may get bored and want to see something different whereas everyone else does the typical stuff; calling, texting, emailing, music & video. They don't spend hours upon hours in tech forums or reading tech news. Heck, they call us for tech related information. Lol

Just Me, D

Isn't that the truth. Some don't even bother changing the stock wallpaper. .

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
The iPhone and iOS on a whole is\was built for the masses. In particular for being ale to pick up and simply use it...

My wife has had one iPhone or another for 3+ years. Two weeks ago she got a Samsung Galaxy S3 ( she wanted themes and the likes and a bigger screen - don't judge 😀) I literally had to have a 'school session' to get her up and running (email, Facebook, Twitter, etc. etc.).

But as most if you know with iOS, even your Grandad or Grandma could pick it up and at least make a phone call without too much of an issue.

So with that, I totally understand why Apple have simply KISSed (keep it simply stupid) iOS.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If Apple doesn't do something with the iOS folks will leave out if boredom. I've had my iPhone for a year. I'll make it to the 6 before abandoning ship but people can only look at the same icon grid for so long.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If Apple doesn't do something with the iOS folks will leave out if boredom. I've had my iPhone for a year. I'll make it to the 6 before abandoning ship but people can only look at the same icon grid for so long.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

A majority of iPhone owners disagree.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
What I want more than themes is to be able to place icons on the screen WHERE EVER I want to, i.e. not being forced to use the 'grid', per se'...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Sorry, boomhower... not buying that at all. Apple just sold 5 million units of the iPhone 5 in a week. Add that to the millions of 4s and 4 phones sold ... people aren't going anywhere, except flocking TO Apple. "It just works" trumps a whole lot of stuff.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
There are ways you can add the functionality and retain the simplicity they just have to figure out how. They could create a more advanced IPSW that is not pushed out but resides on their servers so that anyone advanced enough to download it and install would know how to enable and use some of the customizations available. This is just one example I'm not saying that is what they should do I'm just saying there is a way they just need to figure out what it is.

I agree, and if Apple figures this out...watch out. It is one of the main reasons I have not migrated to an iPhone. People like to say widgets, etc on Android are cheesy, flashy and not necessary at the end of the day, but they can be very functional, making your device operate quickly and efficiently, with access to info instantaneously without having to open the app, etc., and exactly how you want it to in a way that is 100% customizable, with lots of choices. More than widgets, the software we are seeing on the new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 looks amazing, again adding new functionality not seen before on smartphones. I'm not saying these are the things Apple should do, but Apple can and should be interested in doing something to refresh/modernize the OS. RIM/BB missed this boat, and look at them now. Bet they didn't see this coming in 2006/2007 when they were at the top of the mountain.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree, and if Apple figures this out...watch out. It is one of the main reasons I have not migrated to an iPhone. People like to say widgets, etc on Android are cheesy, flashy and not necessary at the end of the day, but they can be very functional, making your device operate quickly and efficiently, with access to info instantaneously without having to open the app, etc., and exactly how you want it to in a way that is 100% customizable, with lots of choices. More than widgets, the software we are seeing on the new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 looks amazing, again adding new functionality not seen before on smartphones. I'm not saying these are the things Apple should do, but Apple can and should be interested in doing something to refresh/modernize the OS. RIM/BB missed this boat, and look at them now. Bet they didn't see this coming in 2006/2007 when they were at the top of the mountain.

I've asked this before when it was said about the GSIII...but what new software are you seeing on the Note 2? What are you seeing on any of the Android devices that is something Apple should really consider a benefit to their handsets vs. the iPhone?

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I've asked this before when it was said about the GSIII...but what new software are you seeing on the Note 2? What are you seeing on any of the Android devices that is something Apple should really consider a benefit to their handsets vs. the iPhone?

The Pop Up Play feature on the S3 is really the feature I like. It lets you watch HD videos while you surf, email or text all on the same screen at the same time. Is it a feature that everyone wants/needs? Of course not, but it's a cool feature that I, like a lot of people, really like. Again, it's pushing the technology ahead, to see what else can be done.

For the Note 2, just watch the video and tell me that is not some pretty cool stuff.

[GALAXY Note II] Introducing Samsung GALAXY Note II - YouTube

Like I said before, I'm not saying these are the things Apple should do, but Apple can and should be interested in doing something to refresh/modernize the OS. Others are doing it, Apple should be doing their own stuff as well. I would assume they are, but they haven't shown anything very innovative in the OS since the iPhone was introduced 5 years ago.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So it seems their whole presentation is around the idea that the phone has an enormous real estate to view things on...ok, so did the last Note, and every tablet on the market...so this one can make calls? You can do the same thing with Skype or any other number of apps on every other smart phone out there just about.

Idea Sketch...are they seriously trying to push the abilities of a drawing tablet on a smart phone? It's not a terrible idea, but the abilities and detail of that phone are going to be on the level of "Snake" when it comes to comparing it to an actual drawing tablet.

The Pop Up Play feature on the S3 is really the feature I like. It lets you watch HD videos while you surf, email or text all on the same screen at the same time. Is it a feature that everyone wants/needs? Of course not, but it's a cool feature that I, like a lot of people, really like. Again, it's pushing the technology ahead, to see what else can be done.

This, in my opinion, is one of the most pointless things I've ever seen pushed as new "tech" since phones became "smart"...so it gives you the ability to watch a thumbnail (or really just have it on the screen since NO ONE will be watching it doing things like texting or emailing), how is this useful? Is it something that might open the door for something legitimate down the road? Sure...maybe, but right now it's just ed (to me).

Their photo organizing system? It's iPhoto, and looks just as clunky and annoying.

Initially i thought the ability to do text messaging while having other things on the screen was cool, but then i remembered that BiteSMS has given everyone that ability for years.

The screen is comically big, and using a stylus? It's like being stuck in the Treo days in my opinion...no thanks. Holding that thing up to your head to make a call looks as ridiculous as holding the iPad up to do the same.

The rest of it just seemed like the same stuff Samsung has been pushing for a year now...oh well.

It wasn't all yawn inducing though, the Cropping feature on any page was pretty damn awesome, and i hope that this is integrated into every phone soon. Props to Samsung on that.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
You are quite the grump, aren't you? ;) "Think Different" my friend. In 2 or 3 years, when iOS has pop up play (their own version) and the cropping feature and runs multiple apps on the same screen at the same time, and has a dock you can reposition anywhere on the screen or hide, Apple will call it all revolutionary, and you will be shouting to everyone how awesome it all is. And it will be awesome. But that's cool, I get it. Peace.

nubgen

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree ios6 does feel dated and I hope for a UI refresh. Prob ios8 is when we will see something new, when the iphone 6 comes out!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
You are quite the grump, aren't you? ;) "Think Different" my friend.

Sorry, I gotta go with Sean on this one... let's take a phablet screen - even a 10" screen and have all kinds of things going on at once - trying to watch video, text, surf, etc ... just don't see the point. And the whole stylus thing - again, why? It's so 80's...

It certainly would be a UI change... but not one that I see as being better...

---------- Post Merged at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:49 PM ----------

I agree ios6 does feel dated and I hope for a UI refresh. Prob ios8 is when we will see something new, when the iphone 6 comes out!

Doubtful Apple will ever give you guys the "new UI" all at once... as has been discussed... IF it comes, it will be a slow, steady transition from where we are to where ever "there" is...

Now, if you had said something like "by the time iOS 8 or 9 rolls out we will have seen the evolution...", well, that would have been something I could buy into... but I still don't think Apple will just scrap the whole UI in favor of something else by iOS 8, 9, 10 or 20... that's not how they roll.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I gotta go with Sean on this one... let's take a phablet screen - even a 10" screen and have all kinds of things going on at once - trying to watch video, text, surf, etc ... just don't see the point. And the whole stylus thing - again, why? It's so 80's...

It certainly would be a UI change... but not one that I see as being better...

---------- Post Merged at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Doubtful Apple will ever give you guys the "new UI" all at once... as has been discussed... IF it comes, it will be a slow, steady transition from where we are to where ever "there" is...

Now, if you had said something like "by the time iOS 8 or 9 rolls out we will have seen the evolution...", well, that would have been something I could buy into... but I still don't think Apple will just scrap the whole UI in favor of something else by iOS 8, 9, 10 or 20... that's not how they roll.

I multitask on my two screens at work all day everyday, with multiple applications running at the same time on both screens. I have no problem doing so. Why would it be a bad thing on a mobile device that is nearly as powerful, and in some ways more powerful, than our computers?

And I'm not sure there will be much evolution by iOS 8 or 9. How much has changed in iOS since the iPhone came out 5 years ago? They are great at perfecting their OS (except for maps), but the introduction of new tech is not slowing down, it's speeding up. Apple has shown no signs of adjusting yet. Maybe they will.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You are quite the grump, aren't you? ;) "Think Different" my friend. In 2 or 3 years, when iOS has pop up play (their own version) and the cropping feature and runs multiple apps on the same screen at the same time, and has a dock you can reposition anywhere on the screen or hide, Apple will call it all revolutionary, and you will be shouting to everyone how awesome it all is. And it will be awesome. But that's cool, I get it. Peace.

Android had and has several capabilities that a stock iPhone does not and it has been that way for a few years now. Yet, the masses do not care and the sales back up that statement. The masses want simplicity/ease of use and not the ease of use that tech heads want. The iPhone is a smash hit even though some of its features pale in comparison to other devices. Apple has brand recognition and a reputation for producing quality products at an acceptable price. They would ruin that by catering first to tech heads who make up a fraction of its user base rather than to its target market --everyone else, arguably.

Just Me, D

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Android had and has several capabilities that a stock iPhone does not and it has been that way for a few years now. Yet, the masses do not care and the sales back up that statement. The masses want simplicity/ease of use and not the ease of use that tech heads want. The iPhone is a smash hit even though some of its features pale in comparison to other devices. Apple has brand recognition and a reputation for producing quality products at an acceptable price. They would ruin that by catering first to tech heads who make up a fraction of its user base rather than to its target market --everyone else, arguably.
Just Me, D

Apple sells a ton of iPhones, and RIM sold a ton of Blackberrys at one time. Android phone activations are at a higher number than iPhones. Why is updating an OS seen as a bad thing by so many people?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Apple sells a ton of iPhones, and RIM sold a ton of Blackberrys at one time. Android phone activations are at a higher number than iPhones. Why is updating an OS seen as a bad thing by so many people?

Nobody is really saying it's a bad thing. It's just that until Apple starts seeing sales really being killed because of the OS, they have no incentive to make dramatic changes to it and can continue catering to their target audience

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Updating an OS or even changing the UI in and of itself is not a bad thing, but it isn't smart, in regard to business, to mess with something dramatically when sales of a particular product are still off the charts and the "target audience" has not shown any interest of being dissatisfied with what is being currently offered.

Just Me, D

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

What with the pot shot? I was just speaking my opinion on what i saw...thought i kept it pretty civil too? What do you get? So you think its amazing? Ok...i don't. Who cares? You posted the video in retort to my question, so i respond back after watching the video...would i be happy if Apple added some of those features? Sure! Half the stuff is already on the iPhone but i'd certainly be amazed to have a cropping tool for all functions of the phone, and a native messaging feature that i could use while doing something else...but some of it you can have, and I'd say the same thing on the iPhone...you can keep the macbook sized screen, the stylus and that silly video pop up whatever...and a repositioned dock? lol...i can put my icons wherever i want them now...seems a bit moot to me, and as far as the multitasking bar being put anywhere, why? It works perfectly on the bottom, lol. I mean sure, if you wanted that I'd have no problem having it too, but me personally, i don't think id ever use it, my Macbook's dock has never moved from the bottom either...in like 6 years of using OSX.

---------- Post Merged at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:22 PM ----------

Android activations are higher than the iPhone because 95% of the phones in the world besides the iPhone are Android based phones...of course activations are going to be higher, that's the kind of figures you get when you compare 1,543,648 different models of android devices world wide to one solitary iPhone.

And no one said updating iOS was a bad thing...my personal stance was that an overhaul wasn't needed (complete refresh, "much needed" change, whatever you want to call it), I'm all for new features, but in my opinion (which amounts to about a hill of beans in the scheme of things) is that the UI is just fine!

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

For the Note 2, just watch the video and tell me that is not some pretty cool stuff.

[GALAXY Note II] Introducing Samsung GALAXY Note II - YouTube

Like I said before, I'm not saying these are the things Apple should do, but Apple can and should be interested in doing something to refresh/modernize the OS. Others are doing it, Apple should be doing their own stuff as well. I would assume they are, but they haven't shown anything very innovative in the OS since the iPhone was introduced 5 years ago.

My point exactly. I don't care if we don't get option to theme but soon the ios needs to start implementing modern UI improvements.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro