Much needed UI refresh

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
With everyone's given input, no body has really stated why or what they would seriously want changed... Solid points given with if it's working now and working very very well with Apple as a whole, then yes why change it...

Not everyone accepts change ... Given fact... But really, seem some may want Apple devices to be something they are not. If you want something else, then by all means, switch to something that will make you happy and more productive.. Not sure if a UI change will accomplish that....... Focus on settings and application integration.. IMO make things work better on the back end then making things messed up in the front....

Mobile devices give each user a chance to access things they have never done before. And look where we are now in this day and look where we are... Heck 20 years ago when apple was thinking this little guy up and drawing up the OS UI. They wanted to make something very simple and basic that will not cause any problems. They got it right and I truly believe they will continue. But by the sounds of a few people, they now want to make it something that in the long run they will not like either....

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, i think people who are so apt to changing the entire UI of the iPhone need to go buy an android device of some sort and use it for a couple of months at least...then try iOS again and see what they think afterwards. I believe many of those saying they want all this change just want to try something different, but want it within the trusted device they have (iPhone)...Porsche did something similar to this back in 1998, when they decided (based on a big outcry for CHANGE) that the 911 platform needed a substantial "change", so they redesigned the classic look of it, and it failed...miserably...and a few years afterwards, they returned it back to its proven form (but refreshed it for a more modern time), and it worked flawlessly.

Change is not always a good thing.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Exactly my thoughts as well..... Hopefully they will find something that will suite them better. Then in the long run realize it's not all that they were thinking it should be...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
To be honest, i think people who are so apt to changing the entire UI of the iPhone need to go buy an android device of some sort and use it for a couple of months at least...then try iOS again and see what they think afterwards. I believe many of those saying they want all this change just want to try something different, but want it within the trusted device they have (iPhone)...Porsche did something similar to this back in 1998, when they decided (based on a big outcry for CHANGE) that the 911 platform needed a substantial "change", so they redesigned the classic look of it, and it failed...miserably...and a few years afterwards, they returned it back to its proven form (but refreshed it for a more modern time), and it worked flawlessly.

Change is not always a good thing.

I think this is a very one sided view, not every Apple user is the same and that is why Jailbreak exists. I chane every aspect of my UI, I don't use cookie cutter themes I create my own theme so that it is exactly tailored the way I like it. I do still get bored of elements and change things up once in a while every couple of months. Now after using my iPhone like that using the stock iOS is painful. So I don't think anyone has to use Android to see the benefits of iOS. I also don't think anyone should take iOS as the be all and end all, just because it works doesn't mean there are things that can be even better.

What would I change, Apple used to be the "Think Different" company, the company that flew the pirate flag above the headqaurters. iOS needs to be more fun, by fun I don't mean laden down with tacky flashing crap. On my iPhone for instance when I get new emails it is a voice "You've got an email". This is more useful to me than buzzing, tones or vibrations because it tells me that I've got an email not a text message, notification, etc. When I get a text message "You've got a text message pick up please". My speaker icon is 3D and much more refined looking than the flat 2D ugly representation used in iOS. It is a small change that fits just right every time I turn the volume up or down. The ability to change the slider from "Slide to unlock" so that it can say more custom things. The ability to have transparent folder icons and also to put icons and folders anywhere on the usable space of the screen. The iPhone has a big beautiful screen and yet it is always cluttered up with crap. I have attached a screenshot of my tweaked homescreen which isn't cluttered with crap but it shows the wallpaper and lets the user enjoy the screen. What is the point of putting a nice wallpaper when you can barely see any of it? I am fully aware of Apple's efforts to keep the UI simple so that it appeals to the broadest of customers. There are ways you can add the functionality and retain the simplicity they just have to figure out how. They could create a more advanced IPSW that is not pushed out but resides on their servers so that anyone advanced enough to download it and install would know how to enable and use some of the customizations available. This is just one example I'm not saying that is what they should do I'm just saying there is a way they just need to figure out what it is.

I also agree that it would be cool to have even a few nice themes, Apple made that could be aplied through an Apple made app. This would go such a far way of getting a lot of Jailbreakers onto the stock OS. BTW in all the time I have run my theme I have never had constant crashing, batter issues or anything else so themes don't always have to present a system hit.

IMG_4918.PNG

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think this is a very one sided view, not every Apple user is the same and that is why Jailbreak exists. I chane every aspect of my UI, I don't use cookie cutter themes I create my own theme so that it is exactly tailored the way I like it. I do still get bored of elements and change things up once in a while every couple of months. Now after using my iPhone like that using the stock iOS is painful. So I don't think anyone has to use Android to see the benefits of iOS. I also don't think anyone should take iOS as the be all and end all, just because it works doesn't mean there are things that can be even better.

What would I change, Apple used to be the "Think Different" company, the company that flew the pirate flag above the headqaurters. iOS needs to be more fun, by fun I don't mean laden down with tacky flashing crap. On my iPhone for instance when I get new emails it is a voice "You've got an email". This is more useful to me than buzzing, tones or vibrations because it tells me that I've got an email not a text message, notification, etc. When I get a text message "You've got a text message pick up please". My speaker icon is 3D and much more refined looking than the flat 2D ugly representation used in iOS. It is a small change that fits just right every time I turn the volume up or down. The ability to change the slider from "Slide to unlock" so that it can say more custom things. The ability to have transparent folder icons and also to put icons and folders anywhere on the usable space of the screen. The iPhone has a big beautiful screen and yet it is always cluttered up with crap. I have attached a screenshot of my tweaked homescreen which isn't cluttered with crap but it shows the wallpaper and lets the user enjoy the screen. What is the point of putting a nice wallpaper when you can barely see any of it? I am fully aware of Apple's efforts to keep the UI simple so that it appeals to the broadest of customers. There are ways you can add the functionality and retain the simplicity they just have to figure out how. They could create a more advanced IPSW that is not pushed out but resides on their servers so that anyone advanced enough to download it and install would know how to enable and use some of the customizations available. This is just one example I'm not saying that is what they should do I'm just saying there is a way they just need to figure out what it is.

I also agree that it would be cool to have even a few nice themes, Apple made that could be aplied through an Apple made app. This would go such a far way of getting a lot of Jailbreakers onto the stock OS. BTW in all the time I have run my theme I have never had constant crashing, batter issues or anything else so themes don't always have to present a system hit.

How is suggesting people try a different format then come back to iOS to see if they still feel the same a one sided view? It's specifically a multiple sided stance, saying that people need to try out different things before they start wanting complete overhauls. Yes, a jailbreak gives you the ability to essentially turn your iPhone into whatever you want it (including a mirror of an android device), this is a given, and i approached my comment with the idea that a person knew a jailbreak was available to them and they were referring to a native state.

I jailbreak my iPhone as soon as one is available so i can get some of the tweaks i like...but in no way would i consider them an overhaul or major "change", just little nuances i suppose you could call it. Your statements also seem similar, small changes and "themes" you would apple to the iPhone, nothing major. To be 100% honest, it seems that most people really mean they want widgets on their iPhone when they say that iOS is getting boring, and that is where I'm happy to stand against having them...themes are also on that same level, like putting a body kit on an already sport car, sometimes its done well, most times it looks like crap...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I said it's a one sided view because I own an iPhone because I want an iPhone. Why do I need to go and spend money to BUY an Android device simply to appreciate iOS? If someone was giving Android devices away for free then hey it'd be cool. I just don't see the need for someone that already owns a phone to buy another phone and then decided that they like iOS and buy yet another phone.

I see you probably meant it for people who are trying to decide which to get, are tired of using iOS and in that case I agree. My statements seem like little changes because I didn't want to go through every facet of what my custom theme changes. I just presented a few examples of what was changed obviously I can't get into more than the aesthetic mask of the OS so I can't do a complete overhaul. My next points of things I would change was not to say that it would be a complete overhaul it was just to say that Apple doesn't need to do a complete overhaul to make the OS a little more fun and breathe some new life into it. I have used Android in the past and no I would never want widgets don't really see the need but I also wont say that iOS is perfect mobile OS.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
The day any OS is perfect, is the day companies close their doors and stop developing across the board. Will never happen.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Maybe I should have answered this post like this initially:

I want Apple to offer users MORE choice when it comes to the iPhone and iPad. Meaning, one should have choices of icon looks, style, etc. I don't for a minute think the UI needs changing per se', I just want more choice for colour, style, icon looks, etc. And no, I refuse to jailbreak. In a way, I feel like Apple is telling me how to make my device look (except for moving icons and wallpapers) and I just have to deal with it. I know they made and tested the device with their version of a 'theme' (i.e. the current layout, etc.) and they know it just works. We know Apple products simply work, but, again, I'd just like more choice(s) - albeit, I'll still have\use an iOS device :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let us not forget that the people who peruse this forum are a small fraction of the people who actually go out and purchase Apple products. We can be viewed as tech geeks and what many of us may desire to have in regard to Apple's UI may not accurately represent the desires of the masses. When we purchased our Apple products, it is safe to say that the majority of us knew what we were getting. For example, we know that Android offers more customization and settings right out of the box and yet, we chose the iPhone. I agree with Sean that some people just want change but they want it with a company that does not allow for much change. Apple is very specific about what it wants the iPhone to look like and how it wants it to operates. We know this and our choices are clear: accept Apple's vision, jailbreak, use another platform or create your own device. ;)

Just Me, D

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I said it's a one sided view because I own an iPhone because I want an iPhone. Why do I need to go and spend money to BUY an Android device simply to appreciate iOS? If someone was giving Android devices away for free then hey it'd be cool. I just don't see the need for someone that already owns a phone to buy another phone and then decided that they like iOS and buy yet another phone.

I see you probably meant it for people who are trying to decide which to get, are tired of using iOS and in that case I agree. My statements seem like little changes because I didn't want to go through every facet of what my custom theme changes. I just presented a few examples of what was changed obviously I can't get into more than the aesthetic mask of the OS so I can't do a complete overhaul. My next points of things I would change was not to say that it would be a complete overhaul it was just to say that Apple doesn't need to do a complete overhaul to make the OS a little more fun and breathe some new life into it. I have used Android in the past and no I would never want widgets don't really see the need but I also wont say that iOS is perfect mobile OS.

So what you and I were referencing were quite similar, and thus my comment about trying the other formats wasn't really directed at you (or someone who holds a similar opinion like yours). My opinion was directed at those that want an overhaul...a complete change, a complete UI refresh...those people, as i have observed, want all these features and gimmicks you typically find on Android devices (widgets, animated blah blah blah, etc), and in their case, it would be best to try one of those phones out that natively offers them, and then come back to iOS and see if they still want those on the iPhone (my guess is they wont).

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
got ya I figured after your response I took it in the wrong way.

---------- Post Merged at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Let us not forget that the people who peruse this forum are a small fraction of the people who actually go out and purchase Apple products. We can be viewed as tech geeks and what many of us may desire to have in regard to Apple's UI may not accurately represent the desires of the masses. When we purchased our Apple products, it is safe to say that the majority of us knew what we were getting. For example, we know that Android offers more customization and settings right out of the box and yet, we chose the iPhone. I agree with Sean that some people just want change but they want it with a company that does not allow for much change. Apple is very specific about what it wants the iPhone to look like and how it wants it to operates. We know this and our choices are clear: accept Apple's vision, jailbreak, use another platform or create your own device. ;)

Just Me, D

I think that we are not such a small fraction anymore. When a JB is released there are millions of users that use it. I also think that by making the devices so mainstream Apple can't hide behind that reasoning anymore. The devices are no longer being used by just a set of people who will understand that it just works and accept it. By making it mainstream you are now putting the device into the hands of users of all types who want different things. Apple might not be willing to make those changes now but at some point change is inevitable and the main point of selling the device is profit nothing else. So I think there will eventually come a time when things in the OS have to change because users are headed in a different direction and failing to change with them is what all the past failed companies have in common.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
got ya I figured after your response I took it in the wrong way.

---------- Post Merged at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:13 PM ----------

I think that we are not such a small fraction anymore. When a JB is released there are millions of users that use it. I also think that by making the devices so mainstream Apple can't hide behind that reasoning anymore. The devices are no longer being used by just a set of people who will understand that it just works and accept it. By making it mainstream you are now putting the device into the hands of users of all types who want different things. Apple might not be willing to make those changes now but at some point change is inevitable and the main point of selling the device is profit nothing else. So I think there will eventually come a time when things in the OS have to change because users are headed in a different direction and failing to change with them is what all the past failed companies have in common.

Agreed!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
As much as we'd like to think the JB group is large, it's still a very tiny fraction of the whole...I'd hazard a guess that more than 70% of iPhone users use their phone just as it is with no jailbreak.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
As much as we'd like to think the JB group is large, it's still a very tiny fraction of the whole...I'd hazard a guess that more than 70% of iPhone users use their phone just as it is with no jailbreak.

Yup. You might find a majority of people who jailbreak their phones when coming to enthusiasts sites such as iMore.
But, I'd be willing to bet that jailbreaking isn't a very common thing for a general iPhone user. To a degree Apple makes
products that they not only want me to use, but also my sister and mother. They don't want my mother to open the box
and already have trouble using the phone. Enthusiasts like all of us here know where to go when we want a little more
of what the iPhone actually offers. Jailbreak. But my mother ain't gonna know about that. And Apple sure as hell doesn't
want my mother having a difficult time making her iPhone work.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Yup. You might find a majority of people who jailbreak their phones when coming to enthusiasts sites such as iMore.
But, I'd be willing to bet that jailbreaking isn't a very common thing for a general iPhone user. To a degree Apple makes
products that they not only want me to use, but also my sister and mother. They don't want my mother to open the box
and already have trouble using the phone. Enthusiasts like all of us here know where to go when we want a little more
of what the iPhone actually offers. Jailbreak. But my mother ain't gonna know about that. And Apple sure as hell doesn't
want my mother having a difficult time making her iPhone work.

I am definitely in agreement. Heck, the name jailbreak will scare off a majority of iphone users, especially the ones that are not considered tech enthusiasts or techies or tech geeks. We peruse forums such as iMore on a regular basis and associate with others with similar interests, but, we are by no means a majority and I wish I had the numbers to prove it, but I don't so it will remain just an opinion...:)

Last edited:

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

I am definitely in agreement. Heck, the name jailbreak will scare off a majority of iphone users, especially the ones that are not considered tech enthusiasts or techies or teck geeks. We peruse forums such as iMore on a regular basis and associate with others with similar interests, but, we are by no means a majority and I wish I had the numbers to prove it, but I don't so it will remain just an opinion...:)

IMO that's the attraction for what I believe is the majority of iPhone users including myself. Anyone can use the iPhone. It is easy to understand and operate, and the OS is very stable and familiar. Most if not all of the people I know with iPhones including my family use the device stock.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
IMO that's the attraction for what I believe is the majority of iPhone users including myself. Anyone can use the iPhone. It is easy to understand and operate, and the OS is very stable and familiar. Most if not all of the people I know with iPhones including my family use the device stock.

Yep and those of us who are considered enthusiasts, we do a bit more tinkering with our devices than what I believe to be the majority of iPhone users and thus, we may get bored and want to see something different whereas everyone else does the typical stuff; calling, texting, emailing, music & video. They don't spend hours upon hours in tech forums or reading tech news. Heck, they call us for tech related information. Lol

Just Me, D

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
When I 1st got an iPhone, my issue with the UI was the app drawer being my home screen. I have some OCD tendencies and hate clutter so that drove me crazy but as I learned how to change things I figured out how to move all my apps off my 1st screen and only keep what I needed in the dock & I'm very happy with this setup.