OtterBox would have Helped.....
    10-10-2012 06:18 PM
    I thought Apple has 1 year of free warranty, but that doesn't include user caused accidents.

It's cool that Apple offer this, but you need to know that your replacement is a refurbished phone.
    10-10-2012 06:29 PM
    I thought Apple has 1 year of free warranty, but that doesn't include user caused accidents.

It's cool that Apple offer this, but you need to know that your replacement is a refurbished phone.
    I don't think apple has referb iPhone 5 yet
    Dennisgarcia likes this.
    10-10-2012 06:49 PM
    A good story on the great customer service at Apple! Thanks for sharing.
    10-10-2012 07:22 PM
    oh wow.. how'd that happen?? i saw a drop test where a guy dropped his phone from his shoulder height and it still didnt shatter. only when he literally chucked it at the ground did it shatter.
    10-10-2012 07:35 PM

Does Apple even have any refurbished iPhone 5's? In this situation I would gladly take a refurbished phone.
    10-10-2012 07:39 PM
    Does Apple even have any refurbished iPhone 5's? In this situation I would gladly take a refurbished phone.
    Doubt they have refurbs yet. Apple store swapped my iPhone 5 w/ "service replacement" after 8 days. Came from plain box, but newly sealed. Genius told me that they were well stocked with the service devices at least 4 days before the "real" ones arrived for launch. All brand new - until they can keep up w/ demand for new ones, all hands going to manufacture rather than refurb.
    10-10-2012 08:11 PM
    Hey if you want you could always sell it to me for a discounted price. i would be more than happy to purchase it
    10-10-2012 11:33 PM
    She was getting it off her coat pocket so I'd say around 4' , but it landed on the matt we have in our entrance and then bounced and on the tile floor that wasnt covered by the matt. I wonder if an invisishield wouldve made a difference.
    Invisible shield and similar prevents scratches and the glass from flying off. Having a good rubber to tpu case would've helped 100%. S would AppleCare /square trade.
    10-11-2012 09:16 AM
    I may have to put my Otterbox Defender back on.
    That photo breaks my heart. poor thing didn't have a chance. I have mine nice and snug in an Otterbox Defender.
    I'm very surprised to hear that there are OtterBox options out there for the iPhone five, already.
    10-11-2012 10:00 AM
    That's incredible! Good looking out by Apple.
    10-11-2012 11:41 AM
    I'm very surprised to hear that there are OtterBox options out there for the iPhone five, already.
    They have otterbox defender for 38$ on Amazon.... It cost me 50$ on launch day.... I'm very happy with it.
    10-11-2012 11:47 AM
    still no way to buy it...
    10-11-2012 11:48 AM
    Yes. I guess otterbox stayed on it. My defender is awesome. Got it in the mail the day before I got my 5. Perfect timing.
    10-11-2012 10:28 PM
    what case did you order?
    10-11-2012 11:03 PM
    AppleCare + and I am waiting for the mophie juice pack pro for the iPhone 5 uhhhhg come on mophie you all have had plenty of time

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    10-11-2012 11:24 PM
    The problem is, the phone itself is a solid piece of aluminum with a glass "front"... So while it is super sturdy with solid build quality, it has no "give". As soon as it drops, all the force will travel to the weakest part of the phone, in this case, the weaker glass front.

It's a trade-off, you get a better built phone, that feels more rugged, but you actually have to be more careful with it then say a Galaxy S3 which is a cheaper piece of polycarbonate plastic. I still believe this phone doesn't warrant a case. It is well built and this kind of accident is an exception, not a norm.

As for whether Apple has the best customer service, I'd say it's anecdotal and dependent. My friend in Seattle wanted Apple to exchange his macbook pro when it was found to be faulty and which Apple tried to cover up. They refused to do so, when they knew it was faulty. He took Apple to court, Apple spent nearly 70 times the cost of replacing his laptop on lawyers, courts, fees etc. They fought him tooth and nail, and eventually the judge asked them whether they knew it was faulty, apple's lawyers admitted they did, and he asked them whether it wouldn't have been cheaper to just replace it. Suffice to say, he won the case. Yes, my friend is Seattle Rex.

Though I don't disagree, out of all the smartphone manufacturers, RIM, HTC, Samsung, Nokia, Sony, etc. Apple does have the best customer service.
    10-12-2012 07:05 AM

Even if it is a refurb, which I doubt, who cares? It's the same phone. Still has the same warranty. You're not losing anything.
    10-12-2012 03:22 PM
43 12