iPhone 5 WiFi Issues - Interesting Read

spanishcop

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
I ran into numerous issues with my Wifi on my iphone 5. If there is something I want to complain on, it is the WiFi problems I'm having, and after researching online a little, I have found that I'm not alone. Apple Support Communities has over 1500 replies to this issue on just one thread alone. The one I found most interesting and informative is the one listed below with 300 responses, but the postings have some very interesting information......

Very interesting information reference WIFI issues....
(Interesting enough my MAC address starts with 98:B8 Apple version instead of Intel version which apparently does not have problem as reported)....Worth a Read:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4339516?start=0&tstart=0

Below is the link with over 1500 responses...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322714?start=0&tstart=0

I have been experiecing problems with the WPA2/AES wifi connections mostly. I went to the Genius Bar and explained my situation and it was nice that my iPhone 5 decided to drop signals of Apple's wifi at the apple store to where the rep saw it. I asked him if it was normal for wifi signal to drop from 3 bars to 1 on wifi.... he responded... We'll get it replaced for you. Shortly after came back to me and stated that the Apple Engineers have received sufficient iPhones with the problems I've described and they will not need to send my iphone out to them. The rep stated that the apple engineers are aware of the problem, but have not found a fix for it yet.

I have also observed some WIFI issues with IOS 6. I've noticed having WIFI with slow data transfers and even hanging to where there was no data transmitting at times even with full signals. I upgraded my iPad 3 to IOS6 and used my iPhone 5 and noticed some problems were similar in this matter....... I still have a iPad 2 and iPhone 4 that I have not updated to IOS 6 and these devices have not experienced the troubles that I have with the devices I updated.

Needless to say.... The Apple store did not have a replacement available at the store because I had the 64 version of att and I have to wait 3 to 5 business days to get my replacement in. So I will update as soon as I get my replacement and see if my problems are solved (crossing fingers). Some have reported having to replace it 3 times or more to get one that worked right.

So there are Hardware and Software issues with WIFI right now.

Share your thoughts and if you found a fix by any means.......... PLEASE SHARE !!!

Best Regards,
Mike

Last edited:

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I changed my encryption settings and that didn't work. I live in an apartment, I won't go without a password so I'm not gonna test that. May need to make an appointment with an apple store to fix this or replace my phone :(

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

spanishcop

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
I sent Rene a message at iMore about this..... and he advised that this has happened in the past with iPhones and iPads. I guess I would have to consider myself lucky in the past, since I have never experienced this problem before. But I'm going through it now, and it is a frustrating issue for sure. I"m crossing fingers that my replacement will fix the problem.

Just out of curiosity...... if you go to SETTINGS... GENERAL... ABOUT... and scroll down to your WIFI MAC address, does it start with 98:B8 by any chance? That seems to be one of the problems reported.... it is being stated it's an Apple Chip and that the one with the Intel chip is working just fine. Just curious to see if your iPhones start with this MAC address like mine and many of the other's experiencing this issue.

MichiKade..... I totally agree with you... I won't run my router unsecure. I will leave it on WPA2/AES.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
In the past I've successfully fixes most connections issues by resetting the network settings.
Setting>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings
Haven't done on the 5 yet but on previous iPhones it has helped.

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
My MAC starts with 54:26 but I checked and it is an Apple one, not the intel one.

Since this is occurring on some people's 4s's and stuff, it's starting to make me believe its a weird bug with iOS 6. I usually luck out on these things, but I guess I didn't this time. Darn!

Luckily my iPad is not affected and I'm on Sprint in a good LTE area so I don't technically need to use wifi for videos and things, and wifi is fast enough in this crippled state for text based communications... But man this is annoying.

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
In the past I've successfully fixes most connections issues by resetting the network settings.
Setting>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings
Haven't done on the 5 yet but on previous iPhones it has helped.

I tried this, it fixed it for all of 2 minutes, then it went back to nil.

I've tried everything. I even wiped the phone and started fresh, didn't work.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Mine starts with 98:FE...I have password protected wifi at home and work. I haven't had any issues thus far, nor has my wife. Maybe we're just lucky.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
From what i've seen, the best fix is a replacement. Perhaps Apple could fix with a software update later but you shouldn't wait when replacing definitely solves the problem.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR