Screen non responsive while charging

rydeordie2302

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Recently I've noticed that while charging my iPhone 5 the screen becomes unresponsive. I have to hit the sleep button just to be able to slide to unlock and sometimes while typing the screen will just stop responding.
Has anyone else experienced this?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If there's one near you, I'd take it to an Apple Store and hope that I can replicate the problem for them
there so I can get a replacement.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Recently I've noticed that while charging my iPhone 5 the screen becomes unresponsive. I have to hit the sleep button just to be able to slide to unlock and sometimes while typing the screen will just stop responding.

Mine did the same exact thing the second day I had it and hasn't done it since. Please let me know what they say the problem was. My only thought was the source of power I was hooked up to. It was a power strip off of a generator providing power for an outdoor event I was attending. Someone else had a 4S hooked up with me and they had no issues...

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have had that problem. Also sometimes the entire screen just shakes up n down. Always when plugged in though.

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
I've had that problem also. But only when using a particular charging adapter. I have quite a few of those plugged in all over the place. I'm not sure if it's one of the chinese knockoffs or an original apple one, since I can't really tell them apart. They have the same codes and numbers, etc on them. The charger in question works fine with my iPad 3 and did work fine with my 4S.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
It could be the charger too... did you try a different charger? I would recommend to take it to the Apple store, they might be able to run the diagnostics on the hardware to figure out what the problem is...

rydeordie2302

May 7, 2010
Visit site
It's a belkin USB charger, I've not tested it while being used with the apple supplied charger.
On a completely separate note..would using an iPad charger and the lightning cable ruin the battery?

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
It's a belkin USB charger, I've not tested it while being used with the apple supplied charger.
On a completely separate note..would using an iPad charger and the lightning cable ruin the battery?

That's your problem. Issues with third part chargers are well known for devices with capacitive touchscreens.

makya53

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the same ting happen with oem charger. This morning my phone was just completely powered off, I was like "WTF". I did a reset and it fired back up. Any one have that happen and yes when it rebooted the battery was @ 100%

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have this issue with one particular 3rd party charger as well. Charges fine but renders the screen unusable while plugged in even with an official Apple cable. I use it as a last resort wall charger as it is dual purpose and mostly used as a DC charger in my truck. Screen is fully functional when charging off DC power btw.........same cord.

Something definitely seems amiss with 3rd party chargers in general (as illustrated by the recent trade in program from Apple) but to the OP, perhaps a different outlet or an outlet in an entirely different building would yield different results and help you narrow down your problem.

mushusmom

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I recently got an iPod 5 and have similar issues with the touch screen becoming unresponsive. I've isolated the problem to when I have it plugged in to charge and the charge is completed but I have not unplugged it and I'm still using it. I'm using Apple charge chords so it's not a third party issue. The screen is responsive when not plugged in, and while plugged in and charging. But once the charge is full, if I don't unplugged it, the touch screen becomes sluggish or totally unresponsive. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

yaz_57

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

I also experience the same thing (sadly, over and over again) i've bought several cables&chargers for my iPhone5s (some are supposed to be "branded") but all display the same symptoms:

- not syncing in my computer
- screen shaking when i'm navigating
- touch is not responsive, especially when typing in the keyboard

I haven't tried Belkin brand though, some say it is ok to use. But other brands, which i think all came from just one source in China, exhibit the same problems.

I'm beginning to think that I really have to buy the original one from Apple or maybe Belkin, if i'm fortunate to find one in our area.

Sorry I got no solution yet, just sympathizing with you. :)

ppacitto

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site

I had this happen with two different root causes. 1st time with my iPhone 5 it was not using an apple cord. Swap to Apple cord issue resolved. 2nd issue was with my iPhone 6 same NOn responsive screen to touch.. To resolve I turned off the hey Siri option (feature functions only when plugged in and constantly listens to surroundings slowing your phone)

barriecary

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
The problem is the electrostatic current/charge/grounding while using Charger.

First make sure you do use the original Charger.

If your iPhone is in a leather case, remove it.

If you have a protective case, or if you are using a plastic sheet or film on the display, try removing them and testing the device without it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox