Looks like more Foxconn issues

CandyBean

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps if they got paid more, they wouldn't be so upset about having to work like factory ants. I know some of the working conditions are horrible. Not sure about Foxconn but they might be rioting because they demand perfection while paying minimum. (imho)

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, and that's seems to be the root of the issue. The demand of the iPhone caused them to work over time, miss a holiday and that's seems to be whatever started it.

I actually might pass on the 5 because of this. The riot was bad enough, but now this.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps if they got paid more, they wouldn't be so upset about having to work like factory ants. I know some of the working conditions are horrible. Not sure about Foxconn but they might be rioting because they demand perfection while paying minimum. (imho)

The working conditions are NOT horrible at Foxconn.

Please don't simply speak from ignorance.

Foxconn facilities rival any assembly operations in the world.

One of the issues is the LACK of overtime hours, as you do-gooders complaining to Apple about long hours for Foxconn employees managed to get their hours REDUCED from what they actually want to work. Nice going. Thanks for the pay cut.

These kids come to these factory-cities for one reason. They work for 3-4 years and send every RMB home to their families. Then they go home, marry, and raise their child in the village. It's not a career.

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Hope it works out for the Employees.... I'm happy to have my phone but it does bother me a bit that conditions aren't better. There is a human factor thats attached to this stuff.... Hope it comes to a good resolution

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ha. So they get told not to break the product that are manufacturing and they get mad about it? Jeez.

Way to be naive. The workers do not have a problem with making the phone to the standards Apple is wanting. There are two main problems. One is Apple wants them to be free from defects doen to .02mm, that's something the human eye can't even see. Two, and more importantly, they aren't receiving the proper training to do it. If they aren't trained to do the job right and the employer refuses to give them the training how can they be expected to do it? Read some of the interviews instead of making a smart post that makes you look immature. The employees are mainly upset they are expected to make perfect phones without any training on how to do so. The current phones going out are the best they are able to do. Apple and/or Foxconn didn't take the time to get the iPhone 5 assembly process up and running correctly. Now they are suffering the consequences. Things went from bad to worse. They went from getting subpar phones to getting no phones. This doesn't bode well for the iPad Mini that is rumored to use the same style of anodized backing.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
The working conditions are NOT horrible at Foxconn.

Please don't simply speak from ignorance.

The working conditions at Foxconn ARE horrible. I've visited Foxconn's facility in Shenzhen twice, and that's supposedly the best one. That said though, working conditions in ALL Chinese factories are horrible. There's just lesser degrees of horror and Foxconn's working conditions are above average of what you find in China.

---------- Post Merged at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Foxconn does NOT pay the minimum, quite a bit more than that actually. For example, the minimum wage in Zhengzhou is 800RMB per month, Foxconn pays more than twice that at starting 1650RMB. That's why whenever they have open calls for workers, literally thousands of people show up to apply.

Last edited:

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Also, I wouldn't take Chinalaborwatch.org's reports as the gospel truth. It seems Foxconn is saying there is no work stoppage. I'm not sure who's telling the truth.

Stewartj1

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I guess that's what happens when you pay people $1.48 an hour.

---------- Post Merged at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Yes, this sort of thing definitely influences my purchasing decisions.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
The working conditions at Foxconn ARE horrible. I've visited Foxconn's facility in Shenzhen twice, and that's supposedly the best one. That said though, working conditions in ALL Chinese factories are horrible. There's just lesser degrees of horror and Foxconn's working conditions are above average of what you find in China.

I've been to several Foxconn facilities, Shenzhen most recently in July. I'm not sure where you went, but Foxconn was clean, adequate facilities, dorms very well maintained and not over crowded, food was fine - we ate in the canteen with the employees.

We also have our own factories in Wuxi and Suzhou, with Western standards in place for both. I live here and visit factories all over Asia every month.

You should also review Apple's supplier requirements. They are one of the most strict in the industry. No one gets to supply to Apple without meeting them, and the Apple zones at Foxconn facilities are even higher quality than those we were able to see where general assembly takes place. No one gets into the Apple zones who doesn't work for Apple or on Apple products...

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
I've been to several Foxconn facilities, Shenzhen most recently in July. I'm not sure where you went, but Foxconn was clean, adequate facilities, dorms very well maintained and not over crowded, food was fine - we ate in the canteen with the employees.

The facilities are fine. I never said they weren't. Actually, most facilities for this kind of work are just fine. For couple hundred bucks per person per month you can easily hire a big staff to clean up. Some of the dormitories could be cleaner, but that's really the workers fault. The work requirements however, are a horror. Try doing this: get a pair of tweezers, and a few thousand tiny pebbles and some Post-Its. Using the tweezers, place a pebble in the same spot on a Post-It a few thousand times over a 4 hour span. Take an hour break. Do it again for another 4 hours. Do that for 60 hours a week for a month, see how long you can stand it. It's not back breaking work, but it's the ultimate mind numbing exercise. It's probably what he11 is going to be like.

That said, I am well aware most factories in the PRC are worse, and the work just as equally mind numbing if not more so, with less pay, and perhaps even harmful to a worker's health. I've long ago made the moral concession that I will continue to purchase products made in China, even though the people who make them suffer while doing so. Do I wish these people made more money, had better working conditions, had better lives? Yes I do, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. To say that working conditions at places like Foxconn are just fine.... well, maybe we have different definitions of what's "fine."

Addendum: I also live in China 3-4 months out of the year and have been doing so for the past 10 years, I'm here now actually. I speak pretty good Mandarin, although I can't read or write very well.

Last edited:

iphonefizzle

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

join the club it happens all the time over here in the states every heard of walmart, target yeah they demand longer hours during the holidays and to me pay isn't great but folks do it and if you don't like working there you do what people do find another job and lets stop blaming apple they do not control the chinese government geesh all this like apple did this sure they have a contract with foxcomm and so do all of the other companies that use them as a manufacturer last i checked samsung, and about 10 other huge electronic companies use them but you don't see anyone saying oh stop them..

china deals with their labor problems its not up to apple to say hey there guy you better change it now if thats the case all the target , walmart and every other mega store employee that will push these products should blame apple that their company does not pay them well and riot and crap so everyone can feel sorry for them. i don't buy it do i think they should have better working conditions yes but is it another companies place to do that no its foxcomm and only them not apple or any of their clients.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site

---------- Post Merged at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Yes, this sort of thing definitely influences my purchasing decisions.

If you have issue with Foxconn's employee compensation, then you should also consider every other product made in China. For example, if you wear any clothes made in China, like from Gap for Polo, then you should be aware that working conditions at those places are usually worse, with much lower compensation. If you buy any toys for anybody, again, working conditions at toy factories are similar to what you find at Foxconn if not worse, and work at many toy factories can significantly affect one's health. If you buy auto parts, you should definitely check where it was made. If you buy furniture at the big box stores like Ikea, Walmart, and Target, same thing. If you buy any consumer electronics made in China, again, working conditions are probably worse than what you find at Foxconn, and the pay significantly less. Basically, don't buy anything made in China. Don't get me started on Nike sneakers made in Vietnam or shirts made in Cambodia.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
You Should also Post the Min Wage in the Country. Kinda Slanting opinion just writing an Hourly rate with out some thing to compare it against.

The minimum wage in China is different by province, and even within a province, it differs by by city/town. I believe Shenzhen has the highest minimum wage in the country at a tad over 1300RMB per month (a little over $200). Per capita GDP in China is about $5500 or so, and I believe. Per capita GDP in Shenzhen is about $14,000.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2