Battered iPhone 5's

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Wednesday's Wall Street Journal had a column reporting some 5's are arriving new looking beaten up. It went on to say that Apple's comment is that the aluminium construction of the new phone is easily damaged. I see a thread here about Hong Kong 5's arriving looking damaged as well.

The writer said his 5 arrived looking pristine but now after a few weeks, he's noted some denting on the edge of the metal back.

Have you guys with 5's noticed easy damage to the aluminium area on these phones? Will a case help? The WSJ writer said he didn't use a case.

CandyBean

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that Tim Cook said it's normal for the aluminum back to get scuffed easily.. it's just the nature of the material or something. Seems to me like they picked the wrong materials to build this phone. Getting easily scratched and dented are not good qualities in a phone.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
So your saying plastic is better? Lol my phone is perfect! Get a case or like me a full body ghost armor. It's not an issue, people tend to exaggerate minor issues when it comes to Apple.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Apple can't win. They picked a very scratch resistant material(glass) and everyone complained it broke to easily when you dropped it. So Apple picked a material that won't break when dropped but it scratches easier. They built a more durable phone. When you drop it the aluminum will dent but you still have a usable phone with a dent. Before you had shattered glass. Now if Apple went to what was and still is the best material for a phone everyone would complain it's cheap.(plastic)

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I read somewhere that Tim Cook said it's normal for the aluminum back to get scuffed easily.. it's just the nature of the material or something. Seems to me like they picked the wrong materials to build this phone. Getting easily scratched and dented are not good qualities in a phone.

That was Phil Schiller saying that.

Anyone remember the original iPhone? I do -had one. Just as prone to a scratches as the 5, maybe more. Still was awesome.

iphonefizzle

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
well mine is just fine no scratches and no dents and i dropped it twice so far once fell out the car in my garage and the other my 4 year old threw it to the floor lucky carpet. but no scratches or scuffs and this boy hit the garage floor flat on its back wheewww i felt a cold feeling when it fell but all is good i think most of the complaints aren't even iphone 5 owners.....not to say they aren't legit but just the overwhelming majority are pilling on are droid assimilated I'm just saying.....

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine has been in and out of cases a lot, and no scratches. It has one tiny ding near one of the plastic separator bands, but that isn't a big deal. Definitely seems as robust as the iPhone 4, and way better than the scratch prone plastic of the 3G.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner