Has AT&T waived anyone's $250 upgrade fee?

unniphilip

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in the AT&T forum, but wanted to post here as well. I really want this phone!

Has anyone gotten AT&T to waive the $250 upgrade fee? I really want to get the iPhone 5 but I don't want to pay more then I should. I never bothered calling them myself. I just wanted to see if anyone had any luck with that themselves. Thanks.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you're only eligible for an early upgrade cost (which is that extra $250 you referred to), the chances of you getting a regular upgrade without the addition cost are going to be basically zero...unless you luck out and get some dimwit AT&T rep who doesn't know what they are doing and upgrades you manually some how, i guess that IS a possibility (though you're probably more likely to get hit by an asteroid than that happening i'm sure.)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I posted this in the AT&T forum, but wanted to post here as well. I really want this phone!

Has anyone gotten AT&T to waive the $250 upgrade fee? I really want to get the iPhone 5 but I don't want to pay more then I should. I never bothered calling them myself. I just wanted to see if anyone had any luck with that themselves. Thanks.

Define "more than I should". If AT&T is offering you an "early upgrade", it's because you have not yet fulfilled the commitment that you agreed to fulfill with the last phone you bought. Since you failed to honor your previous commitment, and now want a new phone, I'd say you're lucky to be getting a break beyond the full price upgrade. Be grateful that they're offering you anything at this point.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
it also depends on what is your average monthly bill. I have heard rumors that if your bill is more than $150 per month there is a possibility that they will waive your early upgrade charges... again YMMV

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
it also depends on what is your average monthly bill. I have heard rumors that if your bill is more than $150 per month there is a possibility that they will waive your early upgrade charges... again YMMV

That used to be the case... but no longer. My monthly bill is over $250, flawless credit, and payment history with AT&T... and still no early upgrades this time...

Last edited:

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
To answer the OP's question - nope. Paid the 250 early upgrade. Sucks but that's the price for me to get the 5. No regrets.

Plus for like $10 through eBay, got my 5 SIM unlocked. Small retribution but I will not pay AT&T for international roaming or data.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Did not get them to waive it either, but got $100 off my bill by trying to argue it ( so basically only a $150 upgrade fee instead of $250). My leverage was really no strong though. I tried to argue that I paid the extra $250 when I got the 4s, so that should have paid for part of the subsidy already and my date for full upgrade should be sooner than the norm. Doesn't really make sense, but it sounded good enough for a little discount !

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

BS...me and my wife's bill is WAY over that, they wouldn't even consider it.

BBUser_9530

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Found out online on launch date that I had I pay early upgrade fee. Called AT&T and asked why they allowed me and my wife to upgrade last year and not this year. After going back and forth, they asked me to order over the phone and waived the early upgrade fee ($250) and I got the phone shipped 4 business days later.

Goodeye

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I was kind of wondering this myself. My wife's upgrade (which I'm sing to get the 5) is up November 9th. At this Not the last phones subsidy has been earned back By ATT. We are taking days now not months. Anyone had success with that type of situation?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh