Those with limited data plans...how fast did you blow through yours this month?

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
My cycle ends on the 23 with 6 smartphones 2 of them LTE we've surprisingly only used 2.5 out of 10 gigs. gigs so far. I urge my brothers and mom to stay on wifi when at home and it's worked well so far :) no overages here!

So you're the Data Police... =)

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
So you're the Data Police... =)

Ha! My wife (4S) has used 0.1 GB in the past 13 days. I've (5) used .700

She is using her phone the way she will. I've been a little careful this month. Will start using it more to see if I get to 4gb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolf

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Rolf but it is well known we no longer have truly unlimited data an at&t, the throttle speeds suck specially now with LTE, it's time to start checking your data to make sure you dont get throttle that soon, or get a new plan if you really need to use that much data

I knew about the throttling... But I had no idea to what degree I would be throttled. Its really outrageous.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't gone over my limit, not even close but I guess coming from Android I've learned how to manage my data extremely well even with using LTE

Edit: just an FYI, I'm on a 8GB plan with 4 phones 2 of them are LTE & we've used about 2.6GB. Our cycle resets on the 18th

Last edited:

LocoStrange

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I was curious as to what my usage is. I am only a week into it and I already have 1gb haha. Normally, it would take me a month to get that much but luckily I still have my unlimited-but-still-limited data plan with att

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
AT&T people might as well stop calling it unlimited and start saying you are on the 5gb throttling plan with no charge for overages.

cableguy619

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I knew about the throttling... But I had no idea to what degree I would be throttled. Its really outrageous.

Are you never around wifi? Maybe I am just fortunate where we live we have wifi hot spots around us in numbers, wifi at home at work.

lol I have 2 high school teenage females that are always on their phone and havent gone past 3.5 gigs in 4 years on ATT, Sprint(for unlimited data) or now back on ATT.

Rolf

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Are you never around wifi? Maybe I am just fortunate where we live we have wifi hot spots around us in numbers, wifi at home at work.

lol I have 2 high school teenage females that are always on their phone and havent gone past 3.5 gigs in 4 years on ATT, Sprint(for unlimited data) or now back on ATT.

Got wifi at home, but otherwise I'm all cellular data. I don't see how YOU haven't gone over haha.

I'm actually surprised AT&T didn't change their throttling stance on LTE. I hear the bells tolling on the 5 gig unlimited data.

Indeed. I had very much expected them to force you into a family plan or whatever if you wanted to use LTE. I suppose that aspect is a nice perk of AT&T.

Last edited:

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
So far I'm about 4.5 gigs in... Couple weeks ago my data went through the roof in matter of a couple of days. I'm on 3GB so already into the second overage $10 ea per extra GB. I'm on AT&T - but I'm thinking it's a similar bug.

Called AT&T about it. They said had to wait until bill cycle is done which is in a couple of days. So we'll see if they credit me or not. Wish they'd issue patch if it really is a bug. Can't imagine it's only a Verizon thing.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I ended up going over my 4GB cap. But I had my iPad connected to my iPhone 5 a lot trying to see just how fast it was. This is the 1st time I've ever went over my cap but like I said I was experimenting with connecting different devices to my phone to see the speed.

ibanana

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It looks like every month I will be resetting my usage to keep track of how much data I use. I think its quite interesting that I have sent 269 MB, but I have received 4.9 GB. I only listen to spotify, so I am really questioning the usage of my data.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I luckily have unlimited, but I have managed to use almost 4 gb in the last 2 weeks now. This is way higher than my normal usage. I haven't been doing too much crazy other than listening to Spotify. No Youtube or Netflix streaming. I am guessing I may have the over night data usage bug. I am on AT&T.

I am switching my dad into an iPhone this evening and I warned him he had to watch the data usage as he will be on a limited plan. Luckily they have wifi at home (I dont)

I would recommend you show him the data option in the network... you can keep the cellular data tab to Off till you want to use it... I have heard people are loving the feature since there are apps which will connect to the internet and you won't even notice it...

ibanana

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend you show him the data option in the network... you can keep the cellular data tab to Off till you want to use it... I have heard people are loving the feature since there are apps which will connect to the internet and you won't even notice it...

I did show him that. I however got him the 3GB plan instead of the 300 mb. Do I think he will use 300 mb? Of course not, but for $10 more its a nice safety net.

rysmithaz

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm on an unlimited plan with AT&T but instead of showing unlimited like the do online, I'm coming up with 10GB. Haven't gotten close so I'm not sure what would happen after.IMG_1168.PNG

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm on an unlimited plan with AT&T but instead of showing unlimited like the do online, I'm coming up with 10GB. Haven't gotten close so I'm not sure what would happen after.

I'm seeing the same thing, kind of... but your math is off a bit. (10238976MB is actually 9999 GB) ... with 4 days left in the billing cycle, I'm up to almost 1.75GB of data usage.

IMG_0781.PNG

The actual AT&T website does show my usage as 1788.64MB of UNLIMITED... so it must be a thing with their iOS app.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Have you tried 3G/HSPA+? When I got my Lumia 900 earlier this year and they moved me to unlimited with LTE the rep said you get TWO separate data caps. You get 3GB on 3G/HSPA+ and 5GB of LTE usage and that you could be throttled on one but not the other. They might have changed though. I never use nearly that much data so I never found out.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing the same thing, kind of... but your math is off a bit. (10238976MB is actually 9999 GB) ... with 4 days left in the billing cycle, I'm up to almost 1.75GB of data usage.

View attachment 20978

The actual AT&T website does show my usage as 1788.64MB of UNLIMITED... so it must be a thing with their iOS app.
What do you see when you call *DATA#? Does the text message you receive show "unlimited" or a number like the iOS app?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW