I've never seen an iphone with this many problems. My third line, sister's, iphone 5 has had problems from day one. She's been in hospital going on 6 weeks about 90miles from me and I basically delivered her the phone. It does make troubleshooting hard for me.

Time and date. Her phone would just switch to some earlier time and date. Frequently. I've walked her through erasing and restoring. Erasing and set up as new. It still happens. This messes up alarms and breaks imessage. Seems to be verizon problem. https://discussions.apple.com/thread...t=135&tstart=0

I had planned on trying to switch it out this weekend because of this.

Many times when placing calls, she gets "all circuits are busy, try your call later"

Now her phone won't ring for phone calls. It gives no indication of anyone calling. Gets sent to voicemail where they might show up an hour later.

The screen isn't responsive. She has to press the screen multiple times to just get through the setup screens.

Anyways, I usually buy straight from Apple but this year got them at Verizon. Should I return to Verizon (this particular store i bought at is near me..she's 90miles away)? Or swap out at Apple Store? I don't want a refurb this early. It also has Applecare+.

Needless to say, she's not super impressed with Verizon or Apple at this point.
    Last edited by cardfan; 10-04-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    10-04-2012 08:27 PM
    I would go to apple that is bad luck I got mine pre order from Verizon and it has been flawless not one issue besides the glitch with lines in screen but that is OS related

If you go to Verizon they might not have stock like apple does
    10-04-2012 09:10 PM
    Yep, i called Apple. They said it'd be a new phone, not refurb if i swap. So that's what I'll do.
    10-04-2012 09:59 PM
    Yep, i called Apple. They said it'd be a new phone, not refurb if i swap. So that's what I'll do.
    Yeah sounds like got a dub. Not indicative of all of them. Good luck.
    10-04-2012 10:02 PM
    Swapped out with new iphone. Set up as new. Put her apple id and google sync for contacts. And they put the sim card in that was in old phone.

Looks good. Can dial out. Get calls. iMessage works.. Gets LTE.

Drop sister and her new iphone 5 off. Drive 90miles or so to get home. Get phone call when i enter door. "My phone switched time and date again"

Sigh...

Perhaps a new sim? Or maybe it's a verizon/apple bug yet to be fixed as this seems to be a problem for quite a few. I do know her house is in 3G territory so it does switch from LTE to 3G. And her number was ported from AT&T (my wife and I got new numbers and don't have any problems).

Not sure what it could be to cause her time & date to just change. I texted her to try to go to Verizon and get a new sim.
    10-05-2012 11:04 PM
    I would try a new sim if there is still a issue it would have to do with the ported number somehow
    10-05-2012 11:12 PM
    I have the same problem started happening to me today. I think it is for those of us who are on the edge of the LTE network. I called Verizon and they told me they were "alerted" to this issue on 10/5 and they have a "master ticket" open on this that their technicians were working on. She opened a ticket for me and added me to the "master ticket". She said that this issue was effecting other phones besides iPhone 5. Someone at Verizon should seriously start working on this... it appears to be an issue for many people.
    10-12-2012 06:23 PM
    I have the same problem started happening to me today. I think it is for those of us who are on the edge of the LTE network. I called Verizon and they told me they were "alerted" to this issue on 10/5 and they have a "master ticket" open on this that their technicians were working on. She opened a ticket for me and added me to the "master ticket". She said that this issue was affecting other phones besides iPhone 5. Someone at Verizon should seriously start working on this... it appears to be an issue for many people.
    That's what I would have expected - a problem with the towers/provider... As a work around, she could turn off automatic time/date and set them manually.

I saw a thread earlier about someone whose time changed by 1 hour on his commute to work. Both home and work locations had the correct time, but I'm guessing that he hit a rogue tower along the way...
    10-12-2012 06:59 PM
    My co-worker had the same problem with time & date and had to turn off the automatically update time & date, otherwise he couldn't send/receive iMessages. He is also on Verizon.

The non-responsiveness I'd definitely take it in to Apple...that's not cool.

Hope your sister is better soon!
    10-12-2012 07:12 PM
    I see the blogs are picking up on it. Hopefully it can get fixed soon now that the issue is gaining more exposure.
    10-18-2012 11:15 PM
    My wifi works at home when it is the only network programmed into the phone. When I go to work and add the wifi in there, all is good. It works great.
    10-19-2012 05:04 AM