Returned iPhone 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
The cost a carrier pays Apple for the iPhone starts around $600 or so ($649 to be exact, if I am not mistaken). The cost for Apple to make the iPhone 5 has been calculated at around $170.

They could easily provide everyone with an adapter at no cost, and still make a crapload off their phones. Even if the carriers are getting discounts for buying tons of iPhones from Apple, say they get a 50% discount, Apple still makes a crapload from each phone sold. It's simply greed, nothing else. If you think otherwise, you're a bit slow. If you are fine with Apple making all this money off you, then go right ahead.

We all make our own decisions how and where we spend our money. Nobody is forcing you to give Apple your $. They get mine, but very little of it, through iTunes. I buy my music and a few apps from them, that's it.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
The cost a carrier pays Apple for the iPhone starts around $600 or so ($649 to be exact, if I am not mistaken). The cost for Apple to make the iPhone 5 has been calculated at around $170.

They could easily provide everyone with an adapter at no cost, and still make a crapload off their phones. Even if the carriers are getting discounts for buying tons of iPhones from Apple, say they get a 50% discount, Apple still makes a crapload from each phone sold. It's simply greed, nothing else. If you think otherwise, you're a bit slow. If you are fine with Apple making all this money off you, then go right ahead.

We all make our own decisions how and where we spend our money. Nobody is forcing you to give Apple your $. They get mine, but very little of it, through iTunes. I buy my music and a few apps from them, that's it.

It's a good thing oil companies don't make much of a profit off of us or I'd be mad!!!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

It's no greed, it's business 101.

You're obviously not a business owner, or well versed in what it takes to run a successful business. Apple isn't a charity...nor are they in this whole consumer electronics thing to make sure they give us the best deal possible. No (successful) company is. Apple could easily include a lot of things with all of their products that they charge extra for...but why, as a business, would they do that when the stuff flies off the shelves like it's on fire and they still retain top of the market customer satisfaction and loyalty? It's working...has for 5 years now.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
It's no greed, it's business 101.

You're obviously not a business owner, or well versed in what it takes to run a successful business. Apple isn't a charity...nor are they in this whole consumer electronics thing to make sure they give us the best deal possible. No (successful) company is. Apple could easily include a lot of things with all of their products that they charge extra for...but why, as a business, would they do that when the stuff flies off the shelves like it's on fire and they still retain top of the market customer satisfaction and loyalty? It's working...has for 5 years now.

I don't disagree it has been working for them, but I think it's greed. Same with oil companies and plenty of other companies all over the world. Just my opinion, nothing more. Obviously I am not that bothered by it, I give Apple and oil companies my money. I have no problem with people paying for whatever they want to spend their money on, it's not my choice to make. I would never tell people how to spend their money, and I don't want anyone telling me how to spend my money. Choice is a good thing.

And you know nothing about me and what I know or do related to business, don't assume you do. ;)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't disagree it has been working for them, but I think it's greed. Same with oil companies and plenty of other companies all over the world. Just my opinion, nothing more. Obviously I am not that bothered by it, I give Apple and oil companies my money. I have no problem with people paying for whatever they want to spend their money on, it's not my choice to make. I would never tell people how to spend their money, and I don't want anyone telling me how to spend my money. Choice is a good thing.

And you know nothing about me and what I know or do related to business, don't assume you do. ;)

Your stance on Apple being greedy explains all i would ever need to know about what you know concerning business. There's no assumption about it.

Supply and demand is the basis for business, and you don't make optimal profits on your products by giving money away that is assured to come through selling something people will buy in droves. You have a choice...you can choose to buy the accessory or not, in fact, you have a multitude of choices...you have 3rd parties making knock off accessories with the same performance, you obviously have Apple offering the product and then of course you have the choice to not buy any of it at all and either deal with what comes with the iPhone or go with another product that suits your needs better.

You said that it is your opinion that Apple's choice in this matter is from a pure greed stand point, and that's just asinine.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Your stance on Apple being greedy explains all i would ever need to know about what you know concerning business. There's no assumption about it.

Supply and demand is the basis for business, and you don't make optimal profits on your products by giving money away that is assured to come through selling something people will buy in droves. You have a choice...you can choose to buy the accessory or not, in fact, you have a multitude of choices...you have 3rd parties making knock off accessories with the same performance, you obviously have Apple offering the product and then of course you have the choice to not buy any of it at all and either deal with what comes with the iPhone or go with another product that suits your needs better.

You said that it is your opinion that Apple's choice in this matter is from a pure greed stand point, and that's just asinine.

We disagree, no big deal. They definitely have a choice whether or not to charge people for an adapter. They definitely have a choice what price point to set for their all of their products. Sometimes, call me crazy (or asinine ;), but sometimes giving stuff away (like an adapter) for free actually earns you MORE business down the road, and earns you stronger customer loyalty. Apple can afford to make these kinds of choices, but they don't. They choose to make as much money as they can get away with, until the cash flow slows down, which it will at some point. It always does. They choose not to drop the price of their products because people continue to pay (for now). Can they still make a ton of money if they drop their prices now and then? Of course, it would hardly be a blip on their revenue sheet. Would that possibly bring in more customers in the long run? Most likely.

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5 64GB....423$....AppleCare+ 99$....OtterBox Defender Case 50$....extra Cable 19$....Adapter 29$... For a whopping 620$ Total..... Apple didn't ask me to buy anything....AT&T didn't coerce me in signing a new contract. I didn't have to put off paying bills for a phone. It's was my own free will that made me stay up and Pre-order my Awesome iPhone 5...I saved up ahead of time. I watched press conferences where they announced price of new cables. I wasn't shocked to find out...it's called being an educated consumer. Corporate greed didn't overpower me to buy a phone. You have to pay to play.... You want to roll like a Boss...pay the costs.... Everyone that's upset with the price of everything related to said phone can return it. Apple will be more than Happy to take it back. Save yourself the stress of having to deal with it. There are plenty of affordable phones available...with micro USB cables.. Mini USB.. Whichever you may feel comfortable with.... iPhone 5 or iOS ecosystem might not be for you. I hear there are plenty of free subpar apps on other phones...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
We disagree, no big deal. They definitely have a choice whether or not to charge people for an adapter. They definitely have a choice what price point to set for their all of their products. Sometimes, call me crazy (or asinine ;), but sometimes giving stuff away (like an adapter) for free actually earns you MORE business down the road, and earns you stronger customer loyalty. Apple can afford to make these kinds of choices, but they don't. They choose to make as much money as they can get away with, until the cash flow slows down, which it will at some point. It always does. They choose not to drop the price of their products because people continue to pay (for now). Can they still make a ton of money if they drop their prices now and then? Of course, it would hardly be a blip on their revenue sheet. Would that possibly bring in more customers in the long run? Most likely.

They can barely keep up with the customers they have now (and in some markets can't keep up at all)...and this isn't a fluke one time thing, this is EVERY...SINGLE...TIME they release something new (Macbook, iPad, iMac, iPhone, iPod). They literally have to race for weeks after a launch just to keep shelves full...and on top of that, they know that the accessories are going to sell too, because the products are selling so well. Why would they want to put a dent in revenue by giving something away that people are going to buy regardless? Business 101 man...you're approaching this from a consumer standpoint, i can respect that, but don't assume that businesses approach their profit margins from the same stance, that is what i find so ridiculous. This is a business, they are trying to make money...they just happen to keep their customers happy and eager to buy their products more than 99% of the companies in the world at the same time.

I mean take the "antenna gate" issue they had with the iPhone 4...you want to talk about greed? What would other companies have done in the same situation as Apple if people started complaining about an extremely hit or miss antenna "problem", they would have laughed their asses off all the way to the bank while you figured out what to do. Apple gave away free cases...and not just cases they made themselves (bumpers i should say), but cases from other companies...they gave away MILLIONS of dollars worth of cases just to appease the hordes that were saying their iPhone 4 was "substantially effected" by the antenna issue (which was complete horsesh*t to add).

Or how about the customer service you get from Apple? People taking back iPhone's that they've treated like total crap and telling them that their phone had some mysterious issue and Apple 9 times out of 10 just replaces it and moves on. Greedy? lol, you're SOL trying to do that pretty much anywhere else. They'd look at you, look at your phone and hand you a map to the exit door.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Business 101 man...you're approaching this from a consumer standpoint, i can respect that, but don't assume that businesses approach their profit margins from the same stance, that is what i find so ridiculous. This is a business, they are trying to make money...

Again, you are assuming way too much about where I am coming from. Profit and greed are two different things. That's Life 101. "The Universe is bigger than our views of it". Thoreau. Anyway, thanks for the banter!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Those cables are flying off the shelf I have bought 8 so far they had a shelve full I go back the next day and they are sold out although the price is high its obviously not too high cause people would be not be paying for it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Again, you are assuming way too much about where I am coming from. Profit and greed are two different things. That's Life 101. "The Universe is bigger than our views of it". Thoreau. Anyway, thanks for the banter!

I'm really not assuming anything...you're approaching the situation as a consumer, I'm looking at it from the stance of a business trying to make money, which is what businesses do. It's not assuming, it's understanding.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm really not assuming anything...you're approaching the situation as a consumer, I'm looking at it from the stance of a business trying to make money, which is what businesses do. It's not assuming, it's understanding.

OK, I don't think you truly understand, but that's ok. You will one day.

---------- Post Merged at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Or how about the customer service you get from Apple? People taking back iPhone's that they've treated like total crap and telling them that their phone had some mysterious issue and Apple 9 times out of 10 just replaces it and moves on. Greedy? lol, you're SOL trying to do that pretty much anywhere else. They'd look at you, look at your phone and hand you a map to the exit door.

BTW...Apple can afford to hand out new phones because they only cost $160 some dollars to make. By giving a customer a second phone for "free" they have still made money off the original device they sold to you or the carrier at over $600 or so. And if they can afford to give away phones that cost them $160 to make, why not include an adapter with the new phones that probably cost less than $10 to make? Just asking.

ibanana

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
No one is forced to purchase additional cables, car chargers, iHome docks, numerous cases, or apps.

People buy them for convenience or the fact that they WANT them.

I have an iHome I got when I had the iPhone 4. I haven't bought an adapter yet mainly because I haven't been to the apple store since I bought my phone, but really I don't NEED it. I do plan on buying one when I do go there today though.

I have one cord. I charge my phone at night and then I take it to work with me and charge when I need it there. It does kind of suck if I forget it, and that's why eventually I will buy one for work.

I love that once you buy an App you can add it to any of your iDevices. That helps because I do have an iPad and I share my account with my dad who has an iPod and will have an iPhone. In-app purchases are optional. You don't have to buy them you choose to.

As for cases...I love cases for my phone. I bought a $40 speck case at the AT&T store last week because I knew I was going to an outdoor concert this past weekend and wanted to protect my phone in case I dropped it (I am known for it when I am drinking) this was a choice I made. Do I really want to spend $40 on a case? Of course I don't but I knew I needed protection from my clumsy self. Since then I have received several cases I bought from Amazon and I actually make my own (If you have a request let me know!!!!).

You buy a high end device. Expect to pay for high end accessories.

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

Leave this person be... your not gonna win this debate. The Person has Already decided that no matter what you say you are not going to be right. Saying that it's only right that they replace mistreated phones... Because Apple charges so much..Also Comparing Apple to Big Oil... No one Forced anyone to buy the phone...and No one forces people to Drive.... It's a privilege not a right to drive...It's also a Choice to Buy Apple Products... Expecting things for free or discount is ridiculous...Why Bother Acknowledging it...Everytime you make a point... the Poster will change to other example that makes no sense. How bout this....Water is free... Why should I pay for it!!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Gee Sean, you sure seemed like you were happy to order those $10 adapters, yet call us names for complaining about the price Apple wants...

First 3rd party Lightning Adapter hits the market...

View attachment 20441

Why wouldn't I? If they weren't available i would have bought them, and you can go back and read (and i still stand by this) that the pricing is a bit absurd at $30 (but in that, if it works for them, its all good, i can buy a 3rd party one like i did, and be content)...but charging for it I completely understand...my argument here is how ridiculous it is to get upset that Apple isn't giving them away. It's humorous.

OK, I don't think you truly understand, but that's ok. You will one day.

Don't understand what? Business? lmao...i assure you i do understand it quite well, as i partially own my own business with my wife (a film production/post company). I have a very good and successful grasp on business...which is why i understand that when demand overwhelms supply on something (especially for as long as Apple has been doing it), you don't need to give away stuff to attract business when business is overwhelming you as it is. It's a really simple concept, but it's ok if it's beyond you...if you're strictly a consumer you don't have to worry about it. When the production company films a commercial for a business, we could easily give them things like USB drives with files or DVD/Blu-Ray discs with their product on it...we could do it for free with little to no cost to us, but we charge for it, and they pay for it and do so with plenty of return business, referrals and satisfaction. Are we greedy? No, we are just trying to run a successful business by making money to grow the business and keep it relevant. There's no magic to it, lol.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Expecting things for free or discount is ridiculous...

I agree 100%. Never said anything to the contrary. But thanks for playing!

---------- Post Merged at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:30 PM ----------

you can go back and read (and i still stand by this) that the pricing is a bit absurd at $30

Why is the price of $30 absurd? Could it be because they are not worth that, in your mind, so you feel the company is overcharging? Interesting theory. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods