Returned iPhone 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

keneo

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The cable is not encrypted.
For data related things, yes it is. The latest reports seem to be saying that recharging is possible without the encryption chip, though.

It isn't apples fault you bought those accessories.
Oh come on! seriously? Ok, fine, you got me! I didn't buy the cables at gun point.
Apple made a proprietary connector instead of using the more widely available, standard micro-USB.
Unless I am willing to carry around a cable everywhere then I had little choice but to buy Apple's cables.

Anyone could have seen the writing on the wall that the 10 year old dock connector was going to go away.
No one even suspected a new connector until the first rumors came out say, 3 months ago. How long am I supposed hold off buying new cables? 6 months? more?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Oh come on! seriously? Ok, fine, you got me! I didn't buy the cables at gun point.
Apple made a proprietary connector instead of using the more widely available, standard micro-USB.
Unless I am willing to carry around a cable everywhere then I had little choice but to buy Apple's cables.

Uhh, excuse me, but wasn't the older 30-pin connector for iOS devices was also proprietary? #yawn

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Calm down everyone just do like I did buy 8 sell 5 then your cables will be only 10 bucks each or sell 6 and the extra 2 are free .. Supply and demand its simple

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Let see,
$30 Car charger adapter
$30 downstairs extra adapter at home.
$30 adapter for work.
$30 video out adapter for playing video on my buddy's hdtv.
=$120
I feel like i am being taken advantage of. And i dont like It.
They know they've got us. And they sure arent shy about using that to get into our wallets.

That 30pin connector has been around for 10yrs. Tech Evolves...You can save all that money and much more if you take the Phone Back. No need to stress yourself about it.

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Early adoption of new tech costs money. Everyone knew the product had new cables. It should not come as a surprise to you that is gonna cost you. Apple didn't make it a secret. this should be a positive Forum for people that have questions about Apple Products. This Shouldn't be a Forum to complain about the Phone. defects or problems working the phone are valid issues... The cost of new cables shouldn't be.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Early adoption of new tech costs money. Everyone knew the product had new cables. It should not come as a surprise to you that is gonna cost you. Apple didn't make it a secret. this should be a positive Forum for people that have questions about Apple Products. This Shouldn't be a Forum to complain about the Phone. defects or problems working the phone are valid issues... The cost of new cables shouldn't be.

I agree, the new cable wasn't a secret and Apple disclosed the cost for new cables and connectors prior to the phone becoming available.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Some of you dimwits would have sh*t bricks if you had bought the MBP's with the thunderbolt connect that had nothing but vaporware for about a year after the release...lol.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Ahh, first world problems...

---------- Post Merged at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Ahh, first world problems. Any of us who have time and reason to use an iPhone forum have plenty to be grateful for...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it was.
And the 30 pin connnector was the one I was writing about. #yawn.

The 30 pin connector is at least 11 years old (it was used on the original iPod, released October 2001)... at that time every phone/device maker had proprietary connectors and charging cables...

Still don't see what all the kvetching is about...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
LOL, there sure are a lot of self righteous asshats around imore. Someone posts up some frustration and many of you can't do anything but jump the poster's ass.

Same damn thing happens over at the android sites. I think some of you need to get a life off of these forums and try to have a little understanding.

It's just a damn phone folks!

Hypocrite...you're doing the same thing you're condemning people in here for doing.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
For data related things, yes it is. The latest reports seem to be saying that recharging is possible without the encryption chip, though.

No, it isn't. The only function of the chip is to ensure that the correct data is routed through the right pins, regardless of cable orientation. There is no encryption whatsoever.

MicroUSB is inferior to the 30 pin and lightning. There is a reason that apple chose it, and it has nothing to do with it being proprietary.

No one even suspected a new connector until the first rumors came out say, 3 months ago. How long am I supposed hold off buying new cables? 6 months? more?
Uh, no. A different connector has been rumored since before the 4s.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hypocrite...you're doing the same thing you're condemning people in here for doing.

I'm not being a hypocrite. I am not bashing the original poster. I am merely pointing out how many on both forums seem to jump people so quickly.

Sure, my post was a bit harsh. But I spoke the truth. Everyone gets so riled up over things instead of trying to be helpful.

I, as many others, should follow that Golden Rule...

briankariu

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP.
First, a disclosure: I have the HTC one X, but that does not mean I haven't owned iPhones before.
What the OP is saying here is that it's a matter of principle. You just bought $750 worth of hardware, it just seems wrong to shell out even more money just for a cable that is proprietary!! Hell, for that amount, they could as easily give you three or four cables for free!!!
But the painful thing about the iOS ecosystem is it's cost.
Everything you buy is absurdly expensive, from the apps to the cases to the charging cables now.
If most of us sat down to count the amount of dollars we have shelled to apple, we could probably get our son/daughter that car they have been nagging us about
You see, once we had this problem that every phone you bought came with a proprietary charger, and this proved to be hell if your phone died during the middle of your work day, or on that long trip to some distant relative. Then some of the biggest corporations in the world sat down and came up with a common system called microUSB to make life for everyone easier. Apple missed the memo.
Point of my rant here is that Apple is taking everyone here for a ride. And the moment you see it, you will be much better off.

P.S THIS IS NOT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYONE, JUST MY OBSERVATIONS

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the OP.
First, a disclosure: I have the HTC one X, but that does not mean I haven't owned iPhones before.
What the OP is saying here is that it's a matter of principle. You just bought $750 worth of hardware, it just seems wrong to shell out even more money just for a cable that is proprietary!! Hell, for that amount, they could as easily give you three or four cables for free!!!
But the painful thing about the iOS ecosystem is it's cost.
Everything you buy is absurdly expensive, from the apps to the cases to the charging cables now.
If most of us sat down to count the amount of dollars we have shelled to apple, we could probably get our son/daughter that car they have been nagging us about
You see, once we had this problem that every phone you bought came with a proprietary charger, and this proved to be hell if your phone died during the middle of your work day, or on that long trip to some distant relative. Then some of the biggest corporations in the world sat down and came up with a common system called microUSB to make life for everyone easier. Apple missed the memo.
Point of my rant here is that Apple is taking everyone here for a ride. And the moment you see it, you will be much better off.

P.S THIS IS NOT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYONE, JUST MY OBSERVATIONS

The apps? The apps have remained the same almost entirely across the board...premium games have always had a premium price, but most things are .99. How is that expensive?

And the cases? The cases have not changed in price AT ALL! I just bought a cheap $5 clear case at radio shack to prevent surface scuffing...when i was at the Apple store, the same InCase cases they had before for the other models were still $30 for the iPhone 5. What's changed?

No offense, but those of you complaining about this little $30 connector/adapter should probably go look else where for consumer electronics. Maybe the rack of pre-paid phones at your local Walmart? Apple has never been a company that made consumer electronics on a low cost basis, they are the products you WANT vs. NEED...and you pay a premium for that stuff, and yes, that includes the accessories. Get over it.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
In-app purchases? Someone just said that they have 600dollars worth of cases.....

Prices set for apps, including in-app purchases are set by (wait for it) the APP DEVELOPER. The are not set by Apple.

And regarding excessive purchasing of cases - some folks have an obsession or fixation. :) :eek: J/K...

Many times, the price of the iPhone case is directly related to where it is purchased. eBay and Amazon have some pretty good deals on cases. The Apple Store or the carrier stores, not so much.

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Look- I don't see what the big hype over $30 is. I don't ever buy cables I just bring my original one around with me I have a socket in my car that it plugs into and then I keep the original socket plugged in my wall at home. I simply unplug the cable and go. The problem that IM having is this stupid lightning cable NOT working. Sometimes I have to unplug and plug my cable in and out like 15 times for it to actually register and start charging/syncing my phone. It's so annoying I wanna pull my hair out I just never know when it's gonna work. So I need to get this one replaced or something because its starting to piss me off. And screw the stupid cable I don't care there is a chip in it to tell it what pins to use that's ed but just how apple pays attention to every little detail, which I guess isn't a bad thing, but it is unnecessary considering the WHOLE WORLD uses micro-USB. Europe got pissed about this new cable because they have those laws about electrical waste and this new cable would've cause a lot of people to waste old cables if it were not for the adapter. I like how the lightning cable looks tho, I just wish it worked ...

Tapatalk

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I personally HATE MicroUSB. It is worse than the old 30 pin connector. The reason many people have so many 30 pin cables is because Apple didn't change it for 11 years. I have phones in the drawer (dumb phones and smartphones) made by Nokia, Samsung, and LG that all use their proprietary chargers. And from year to year, those manufacturers changed their charging ports, rendering the previous chargers useless. Remember MiniUSB?? That sucked too. Apple kept the same one for 11 years!! But it was time for a change. And they changed it for the better. This was needed for LTE to fit inside the phone. If you prefer your phone to use the old 30 pin connector, might I suggest you stick with the 4S. I personally would prefer LTE. No one is saying rush right out and get 10 cables to replace the ones you have now. Just get a couple, and over time, accumulate more. Easier on the wallet (or purse ladies) that way :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
In-app purchases? Someone just said that they have 600dollars worth of cases.....

$600 worth of cases is someone with OCD...i don't think I've spent $600 on cases since the first cellular phone i ever owned 14 or so years ago.

And how do in-app purchases have anything to do with Apple? You want to complain about that? Complain to the developer...although there's really nothing different about what they are doing there vs. what they used to do, which was releasing a new paid version of their games every few months when they would have big updates to the game. To be honest, for the longest time I'm thinking the majority of consumers thought the pricing of the apps was relatively low in the scheme of things, and so what now, you spend another buck or two on in-app purchases on your favorite games? Figure that in with the amount of entertainment time you get with the games...how is that expensive? You probably spend more flushing your toilet every day than you do on in-app purchases, and yet somehow it's an issue?

The amount of whiney, bleeding heart, cheapskate people that are coming out of the woodwork with the iPhone 5 is just staggering...I've never in my life seen people get so upset over essentially pocket change (all things considered). Come on people! If you want to be this cheap go to your local metro PCS, get yourself some chinese flip phone with a $30/month cellular plan and play snake for the rest of your lives! It's ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR