Not open for further replies.

keneo

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Let see,
$30 Car charger adapter
$30 downstairs extra adapter at home.
$30 adapter for work.
$30 video out adapter for playing video on my buddy's hdtv.
=$120
I feel like i am being taken advantage of. And i dont like It.
They know they've got us. And they sure arent shy about using that to get into our wallets.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Hold on is this a joke? Common man, we all know this by now. Apple products are expensive! Why do we keep buying despite the price? Again it's Apple, no explanation needed. Sure the adapter might be expensive, but we can't say there wont be slightly less expensive alternatives later. We should all be happy that Apple kept the iphone 5 the same price. I'm more appreciative of that than complain about an adapter that cost $30 that should probably be $15-20. This is in no way to say I am happy about the price, I'm bothered by it but not enough to drop apple completely. My life will change! I will simply wait and buy it when I have extra cash.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Let see,
$30 Car charger adapter
$30 adapter for work.
=$120
They know they've got us. And they sure arent shy about using that to get into our wallets.

Cables are 19 why buy a adapter if the USB can plug into the charger .. Only reason you need a adapter is for like a dock or stereo that is hard wired

keneo

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok, lets say I only get one adapter. Why should I spend $90 + tax after spending $700 +tax for the phone ? I already have many perfectly good cables. Apple knows most people do.
It pisses me off that they encrypted the cables, just to eliminate third party competition (and pass the extra cost on to us of course).
I will still buy the iPhone 5. What can I say? the product is too good.
Ba-a-a-a-a-a-a

But I wont forget this Apple. I am starting a file on you!

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Ok, lets say I only get one adapter. Why should I spend $90 + tax after spending $700 +tax for the phone ? I already have many perfectly good cables. Apple knows most people do.
It pisses me off that they encrypted the cables, just to eliminate third party competition (and pass the extra cost on to us of course).
Ba-a-a-a-a-a-a

The cable is not encrypted. It isn't apples fault you bought those accessories. Anyone could have seen the writing on the wall that the 10 year old dock connector was going to go away.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Let see,
$30 Car charger adapter
$30 adapter for work.
=$120

Here's a lesson for you: only buy adapters that are USB so that you can easily switch cables if need be.

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
With my iPhone 4 I bought many cables for like $7 for 10. The thing was that I found they didn't last very long and there were always issues syncing to my Mac or PC. Often the legit cable would out last 10 3rd party ones. With anything you get what you pay for!

TaliZorah

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I have heard the same arguement from people who buy Sony products.

Take for instance the PS Vita. It has its own style of memory card that fits NOTHING else but the Vita. Sure they are other manufacture's of the memory card in this case but you won't be using any of those old cards for anything else.Oh and they aren't even compatible with the PSP which was the predacessor to the Vita.

Bottom line - if you can't stand change then you should not be a tech enthusiast.

I personally will be more than happy to pay an extra $10-$20 for an accessory that I will only have to buy a few of one or two times than have to deal with an OS that I simply cannot stand.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Ba-a-a-a-a-a-a

If you invent something would you want it stripped and remade cheaply so it takes your profits ? There cable have always been same price ya it sucks it changed everyone got use to have a ton of cables but they can't keep it the same forever

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Funny you mention Porsche. I have owned 3. I have also had NSXs,and Vettes. I paid the higher price for an oil change, but Porsche uses Mobile One. They don't use only one oil made for Porsche. The PASM computer is Porsche only. I have no problem with that. A phone connection ishould be generic, and available like the oil in your Porsche, which by the way, I use Royal Purple. If I was so concerned about price, I wouldn't have bought the phone in the first place. It is a principal. I believe Europe is mandating a common connection, hence Apple making a micro USB adapter.

After reading all that, i find it even more hilarious that you're upset with this cable situation...get over it, or don't, nobody really cares at all.

I mean by your logic, we should be able to put cheap 83 in our sports cars and do oil changes with the cheap walmart store brand 10w30. Give me an F'n break...find something better to be pissed about...assuming what you said is true, you understand the cost of having a top end product, and how there are certain things that most people don't have to pay for that you do have to pay for owning such. The principal of the matter? Please...nobody forced you to buy the iPhone, and nobody is forcing you to keep it.

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Im not sure why some are upset with you saying that you are returning your i5 (OP). I feel your pain though. In a pitiful economy, some have to pick and choose their expenses. Others (like me) feel that Apple is just taking advantage of its customers, which they may not be but thats how it comes across in instances such as this. I love the new adapter but, like you, I am a little ticked off that they change it with absolutely NO regard for the fact that their customers have been used to an APPLE standard for years upon years. I had collected all the cables needed in order to charge my devices conveniently and now that't not an option unless I dump out $80 on new cables or an adapter that I would have to carry EVERYWHERE with me. I love Apple and their products but a Sync/Charge cable replacement program would have been all it would take to win everyone over. That way, you could pick and choose which cables you want to keep for your iPad or iPods and which ones you will change out for iPhone cables. Like they REALLY need the extra $20 from the sale of a cable. As far as the chip goes, I have a feeling that this isnt put in place just to thwart low end charging cables but may also be used for a plethora of new accessory features in the future. Just my .02 but I just wanted to say that this is something that I found to be somewhat off-putting as well. Everyone is different though.

Last edited:

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I was always used to paying for cheap cables for my iPhone4S...I notice these cables wouldn't last/break/take too long to charge/not charge my phone properly. I like the new lighting cable on my iPhone 5. It's thicker and better quality. The new cable charges the phone faster too. I wasn't a fan of buying cables direct from apple because of high prices. But whatever I went to apple store last week and bought 3 cables. I don't feel bad for spending $60 on cables. I actually feel glad I won't deal with breaking or charging issues with these. Technology isn't cheap and to enjoy it you have to pay a price at some point...

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...

idrewpage

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
LOL thats funny. Apple is not going to change a cable they spent lots of money designing. Besides, the encryption (the correct spelling) is there for a reason, not just to stick it to the man. They don't form a business decision on the basis of getting people to buy more cables.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I think if enough of us complain, they will drop the encription, which I suspect, would be a software update.

John

I'm guessing you have an inflated sense of self-worth. I don't see it happening.

---------- Post Merged at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:39 AM ----------

Everything Applr only works with Apple, down to the earbuds.

You're completely wrong on this... as usual...

ibanana

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I don't like about the new port is that I cant use my iHome for it currently. I will be buying an adapter and then Ill slowly replace the other cords.

I do love that I don't have to fight with the cord to plug in when the light is off and I have to find the up side.

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
So let me guess. When they dumped the 5" floppy drive you got rid of your PC? Or did you do that when they dumped the 3" one? I don't understand why people by knock offs. Yes they are a fraction of the price but you will go through so many in the time that a real one will last, that you could have paid for the real one many times over. Go ahead go to android. 12 months from now, I will sell my i5 and all the accessories to pay for the new stuff while you'll have a pretty paperweight that no one will want. Great way to save $19.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
LOL, there sure are a lot of self righteous asshats around imore. Someone posts up some frustration and many of you can't do anything but jump the poster's ass.

Same damn thing happens over at the android sites. I think some of you need to get a life off of these forums and try to have a little understanding.

It's just a damn phone folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.