Ok, lets say I only get one adapter. Why should I spend $90 + tax after spending $700 +tax for the phone ? I already have many perfectly good cables. Apple knows most people do.
    It pisses me off that they encrypted the cables, just to eliminate third party competition (and pass the extra cost on to us of course).
    I will still buy the iPhone 5. What can I say? the product is too good.
    Ba-a-a-a-a-a-a

But I wont forget this Apple. I am starting a file on you!
    The cable is not encrypted. It isn't apples fault you bought those accessories. Anyone could have seen the writing on the wall that the 10 year old dock connector was going to go away.
    TaliZorah likes this.
    10-04-2012 03:04 AM
    Let see,
    $30 Car charger adapter
    $30 downstairs extra adapter at home.
    $30 adapter for work.
    $30 video out adapter for playing video on my buddy's hdtv.
    =$120
    I feel like i am being taken advantage of. And i dont like It.
    They know they've got us. And they sure arent shy about using that to get into our wallets.
    Here's a lesson for you: only buy adapters that are USB so that you can easily switch cables if need be.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    10-04-2012 03:05 AM
    With my iPhone 4 I bought many cables for like $7 for 10. The thing was that I found they didn't last very long and there were always issues syncing to my Mac or PC. Often the legit cable would out last 10 3rd party ones. With anything you get what you pay for!
    TaliZorah likes this.
    10-04-2012 03:10 AM
    I have heard the same arguement from people who buy Sony products.

Take for instance the PS Vita. It has its own style of memory card that fits NOTHING else but the Vita. Sure they are other manufacture's of the memory card in this case but you won't be using any of those old cards for anything else.Oh and they aren't even compatible with the PSP which was the predacessor to the Vita.

Bottom line - if you can't stand change then you should not be a tech enthusiast.

I personally will be more than happy to pay an extra $10-$20 for an accessory that I will only have to buy a few of one or two times than have to deal with an OS that I simply cannot stand.
    10-04-2012 03:14 AM
    Everything Applr only works with Apple, down to the earbuds.
    really? last time I checked I could use my apple earbuds with any other product I had
    Fausty82 likes this.
    10-04-2012 03:16 AM
    Ok, lets say I only get one adapter. Why should I spend $90 + tax after spending $700 +tax for the phone ? I already have many perfectly good cables. Apple knows most people do.
    It pisses me off that they encrypted the cables, just to eliminate third party competition (and pass the extra cost on to us of course).
    I will still buy the iPhone 5. What can I say? the product is too good.
    Ba-a-a-a-a-a-a

But I wont forget this Apple. I am starting a file on you!
    If you invent something would you want it stripped and remade cheaply so it takes your profits ? There cable have always been same price ya it sucks it changed everyone got use to have a ton of cables but they can't keep it the same forever
    10-04-2012 04:01 AM
    Post deleted
    Last edited by jdcorbitt3; 10-04-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    10-04-2012 06:49 AM
    Funny you mention Porsche. I have owned 3. I have also had NSXs,and Vettes. I paid the higher price for an oil change, but Porsche uses Mobile One. They don't use only one oil made for Porsche. The PASM computer is Porsche only. I have no problem with that. A phone connection ishould be generic, and available like the oil in your Porsche, which by the way, I use Royal Purple. If I was so concerned about price, I wouldn't have bought the phone in the first place. It is a principal. I believe Europe is mandating a common connection, hence Apple making a micro USB adapter.
    After reading all that, i find it even more hilarious that you're upset with this cable situation...get over it, or don't, nobody really cares at all.

I mean by your logic, we should be able to put cheap 83 in our sports cars and do oil changes with the cheap walmart store brand 10w30. Give me an F'n break...find something better to be pissed about...assuming what you said is true, you understand the cost of having a top end product, and how there are certain things that most people don't have to pay for that you do have to pay for owning such. The principal of the matter? Please...nobody forced you to buy the iPhone, and nobody is forcing you to keep it.
    10-04-2012 08:08 AM
    Im not sure why some are upset with you saying that you are returning your i5 (OP). I feel your pain though. In a pitiful economy, some have to pick and choose their expenses. Others (like me) feel that Apple is just taking advantage of its customers, which they may not be but thats how it comes across in instances such as this. I love the new adapter but, like you, I am a little ticked off that they change it with absolutely NO regard for the fact that their customers have been used to an APPLE standard for years upon years. I had collected all the cables needed in order to charge my devices conveniently and now that't not an option unless I dump out $80 on new cables or an adapter that I would have to carry EVERYWHERE with me. I love Apple and their products but a Sync/Charge cable replacement program would have been all it would take to win everyone over. That way, you could pick and choose which cables you want to keep for your iPad or iPods and which ones you will change out for iPhone cables. Like they REALLY need the extra $20 from the sale of a cable. As far as the chip goes, I have a feeling that this isnt put in place just to thwart low end charging cables but may also be used for a plethora of new accessory features in the future. Just my .02 but I just wanted to say that this is something that I found to be somewhat off-putting as well. Everyone is different though.
    Last edited by Lcargile01; 10-04-2012 at 08:43 AM.
    10-04-2012 08:33 AM
    I was always used to paying for cheap cables for my iPhone4S...I notice these cables wouldn't last/break/take too long to charge/not charge my phone properly. I like the new lighting cable on my iPhone 5. It's thicker and better quality. The new cable charges the phone faster too. I wasn't a fan of buying cables direct from apple because of high prices. But whatever I went to apple store last week and bought 3 cables. I don't feel bad for spending $60 on cables. I actually feel glad I won't deal with breaking or charging issues with these. Technology isn't cheap and to enjoy it you have to pay a price at some point...

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...
    10-04-2012 09:14 AM
    LOL thats funny. Apple is not going to change a cable they spent lots of money designing. Besides, the encryption (the correct spelling) is there for a reason, not just to stick it to the man. They don't form a business decision on the basis of getting people to buy more cables.
    10-04-2012 09:29 AM
    I think if enough of us complain, they will drop the encription, which I suspect, would be a software update.

John
    I'm guessing you have an inflated sense of self-worth. I don't see it happening.

---------- Post Merged at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:39 AM ----------

Everything Applr only works with Apple, down to the earbuds.
    You're completely wrong on this... as usual...
    10-04-2012 09:43 AM
    The only thing I don't like about the new port is that I cant use my iHome for it currently. I will be buying an adapter and then Ill slowly replace the other cords.

I do love that I don't have to fight with the cord to plug in when the light is off and I have to find the up side.
    10-04-2012 10:10 AM
    So let me guess. When they dumped the 5" floppy drive you got rid of your PC? Or did you do that when they dumped the 3" one? I don't understand why people by knock offs. Yes they are a fraction of the price but you will go through so many in the time that a real one will last, that you could have paid for the real one many times over. Go ahead go to android. 12 months from now, I will sell my i5 and all the accessories to pay for the new stuff while you'll have a pretty paperweight that no one will want. Great way to save $19.
    10-04-2012 10:12 AM
    LOL, there sure are a lot of self righteous asshats around imore. Someone posts up some frustration and many of you can't do anything but jump the poster's ***.

Same damn thing happens over at the android sites. I think some of you need to get a life off of these forums and try to have a little understanding.

It's just a damn phone folks!
    10-04-2012 10:21 AM
    The cable is not encrypted.
    For data related things, yes it is. The latest reports seem to be saying that recharging is possible without the encryption chip, though.

It isn't apples fault you bought those accessories.
    Oh come on! seriously? Ok, fine, you got me! I didn't buy the cables at gun point.
    Apple made a proprietary connector instead of using the more widely available, standard micro-USB.
    Unless I am willing to carry around a cable everywhere then I had little choice but to buy Apple's cables.

Anyone could have seen the writing on the wall that the 10 year old dock connector was going to go away.
    No one even suspected a new connector until the first rumors came out say, 3 months ago. How long am I supposed hold off buying new cables? 6 months? more?
    10-04-2012 10:52 AM
    Oh come on! seriously? Ok, fine, you got me! I didn't buy the cables at gun point.
    Apple made a proprietary connector instead of using the more widely available, standard micro-USB.
    Unless I am willing to carry around a cable everywhere then I had little choice but to buy Apple's cables.
    Uhh, excuse me, but wasn't the older 30-pin connector for iOS devices was also proprietary? #yawn
    Last edited by Fausty82; 10-04-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    10-04-2012 11:48 AM
    Calm down everyone just do like I did buy 8 sell 5 then your cables will be only 10 bucks each or sell 6 and the extra 2 are free .. Supply and demand its simple
    10-04-2012 12:22 PM
    Let see,
    $30 Car charger adapter
    $30 downstairs extra adapter at home.
    $30 adapter for work.
    $30 video out adapter for playing video on my buddy's hdtv.
    =$120
    I feel like i am being taken advantage of. And i dont like It.
    They know they've got us. And they sure arent shy about using that to get into our wallets.
    That 30pin connector has been around for 10yrs. Tech Evolves...You can save all that money and much more if you take the Phone Back. No need to stress yourself about it.
    10-04-2012 02:24 PM
    Early adoption of new tech costs money. Everyone knew the product had new cables. It should not come as a surprise to you that is gonna cost you. Apple didn't make it a secret. this should be a positive Forum for people that have questions about Apple Products. This Shouldn't be a Forum to complain about the Phone. defects or problems working the phone are valid issues... The cost of new cables shouldn't be.
    10-04-2012 02:33 PM
    Early adoption of new tech costs money. Everyone knew the product had new cables. It should not come as a surprise to you that is gonna cost you. Apple didn't make it a secret. this should be a positive Forum for people that have questions about Apple Products. This Shouldn't be a Forum to complain about the Phone. defects or problems working the phone are valid issues... The cost of new cables shouldn't be.
    I agree, the new cable wasn't a secret and Apple disclosed the cost for new cables and connectors prior to the phone becoming available.
    10-04-2012 03:43 PM
    Some of you dimwits would have sh*t bricks if you had bought the MBP's with the thunderbolt connect that had nothing but vaporware for about a year after the release...lol.
    Fausty82 and nikkisharif like this.
    10-04-2012 07:02 PM
    Uhh, excuse me, but wasn't the older 30-pin connector for iOS devices was also proprietary? #yawn
    Yes, it was.
    And the 30 pin connnector was the one I was writing about. #yawn.
    10-04-2012 07:56 PM
    Ahh, first world problems...

---------- Post Merged at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Ahh, first world problems. Any of us who have time and reason to use an iPhone forum have plenty to be grateful for...
    tuffy100 likes this.
    10-04-2012 09:15 PM
    Yes, it was.
    And the 30 pin connnector was the one I was writing about. #yawn.
    The 30 pin connector is at least 11 years old (it was used on the original iPod, released October 2001)... at that time every phone/device maker had proprietary connectors and charging cables...

Still don't see what all the kvetching is about...
    10-04-2012 09:19 PM
110 1234 ...