Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon4777411

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
There are many reasons why. To start off…

Design and construction
Crafting a beautiful, pocketable, durable phone isn’t easy, and Apple still knows how to do it better than anyone. The iPhone 5 doesn’t change much from the iPhone 4, but it remains the best-looking phone on the market today, and the best built. Apple has improved the scratch and shatter resistance of its glass, and used more aluminum in the frame, making the iPhone 5 much more durable than its predecessors and Samsung’s polycarbonate (a durable type of plastic) Galaxy S3.

The iPhone 5 is also suspiciously lightweight for the materials it uses, weighing only 112 grams, less than the S3′s 133 gram weight. This could be due to the thinness of Apple’s phone, which matches the Droid Razr’s impressive 7.6mm depth, but without any camera bump. The S3 is also an impressive 8.6mm thick. For reference, the iPhone 4 and 4S were about 9.3mm thick, which set a benchmark for its time.

Drop and shatter tests (like this one) seem to be unanimously coming out in favor of the iPhone 5. Even after painful five- or six-foot drops, most iPhone 5 units have only minor dings in the aluminum frame. They somehow escape screen shattering far longer than the S3, despite Samsung’s inclusion of Gorilla Glass, which is known for its durability.
Winner: iPhone 5

Feel
Though it’s difficult to argue that Apple’s phone is built better than Samsung’s, when it comes to comfort, the Galaxy S3 puts up a strong fight. Samsung has been tweaking the size, shape, and button layouts of its phones several times a year for several years now. The Galaxy S3 is a result of consumer migration toward phones with larger screens. Despite being significantly wider and longer than the iPhone 5, the S3 is more comfortable to hold and use due to its button placement. By placing the power and volume buttons on the sides toward the middle of the phone, users can more naturally press both buttons, interact with the screen, and reach the Home, Back, and Menu buttons on the device. The iPhone 5 is still a comfortable device, but Apple has not adjusted the placement of its power button to match the fact that it is now a longer (not wider) phone.

Of course, those with Andre the Giant hands will undoubtedly lean toward the S3 and those with more petite digits will gravitate toward the iPhone 5. Still, we’re going to give this one to Samsung for somehow making a phone with a 4.8-inch screen completely usable and comfortable to hold. Perhaps more comfortable than the world’s leading smartphone when it comes to two-handed typing and other select activities.
Winner: Galaxy S3

Screen quality
The iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 light up an age-old (that’s two years in tech time) debate over which screen technologies offer the best picture quality. Since the introduction of the ‘Retina’ (high resolution) display in the iPhone 4, other smartphone manufacturers have been scrambling to create screens that can match Apple’s impressive 326 pixel-per-inch phone screens, which are based on high-end IPS LCD screen technology. To counter Apple, Samsung has gone with AMOLED, a variation on OLED technology. We’ve already compared the difference between LCD and AMOLED screens. The S3 might be the best implementation of AMOLED we’ve seen yet, retaining the deep blacks possible with OLED (each pixel is lit up separately, so black pixels have no backlight behind them at all).
Though we really love AMOLED’s strengths, those of you with the sharpest eyes might prefer the iPhone 5. According to in-depth tests performed by DisplayMate, it’s better calibrated and gets brighter. We can’t argue. Though OLED may be the future of displays, Apple’s good old LCD takes the crown today.
Winner: iPhone 5

User interface
Despite ongoing lawsuits over the similarities between Apple and Samsung products, the differences between the Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5 user interfaces are quite stark.

iOS 6
Visually, it’s hard to argue against Apple. iOS is simple, easy to use, and full of fun animations. No other touch operating system is so pleasant and enthralling (at least, at first) to learn and operate. With the Galaxy S3, Samsung is trying really hard to make Android a more consistent and beautiful experience, but its attempts feel contrived and, at times, misguided. In many ways, the Galaxy S3 might be a better phone if Samsung had left Android alone. Google’s recent Android interfaces may not be as bright as iOS, but they do have some personality. Samsung’s phone does not.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Colors are a little better on the iPhone I think

Did you use flash on both? I think the whitebalance is different on both camera(s) (settings on s3?)

I would be interested in seeing pictures done from same spot in sunlight or very heavily lit room of a multicoloured object.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Did you use flash on both? I think the whitebalance is different on both camera(s) (settings on s3?)

I would be interested in seeing pictures done from same spot in sunlight or very heavily lit room of a multicoloured object.

Flash was not used on either phone, and the settings for the S3 were default

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, Im posting this here because I would like an honest constructive answer to this question. I myself am not an IPHONE guy, and have always preferred Droid(main reason is I dont like being restricted). I know there are millions upon millons of Iphone fans, and im hoping you can tell me why you are and will always be an Iphone person. Things that are un needed in this discussion:

1. I like Iphone because droid sucks-thats not a reason and tells me nothing.
2. Iphone is cool??? what does this even mean...
3.Because ive always had one...Well WHY??

Im not trying to start a great debate, I just want to know what REAL Iphone fans love about their phones and why they will only have Iphones and never consider anything else. Also for this discussion I would like to leave out any mentions of Jailbreaking/Rooting. I think its irrelevant to a good majority of folks and I am trying to find out what makes this a better product than the S3 coming straight out of the Box.

FYI I have an S3. Thanks in advance for keeping it civial and informative!!

I think hardware wise (bigger screen) and the specs of the S3 is superior to the iPhone 5. Not the quality tho. Quality wise. iPhone is way better. S3 just feels cheap and breaks easily (I'm not saying this because of the online videos)
But hardware and specs is not everything. iOS is just better than android. I won't say is way better because android has improved a lot. But iOS is just smooth. Doesn't matter how full your memory is, iOS just runs smooth. Android is like a PC. The older it gets, the more memory you use, the slower it gets.
People say open source is better.... Well. Think if you're a app/game developer. Would you rather make one app and sell it to 10 million people or make 30 different versions of the same app and sell it to 10 million people? iOS apps/games are just so much better and better quality. And there's a lot more of them.
3rd party accessories for apple are better also. In quality and quantity.
You buy an android phone and 3 months later. Your phone is outdated. I can walk around with my wife's iPhone 4 and I bet not a single person will think the phone is outdated.
The iOS/apple ecosystem is just better. I know I might sound biased. But I had android before and I loved it. But I will never go back. At least for now.

Last edited:

Faris Sarkis

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Price
SAM $600/$650
Apple $199/$299/$399 at launch via carrier or $649/$749/$849 unlocked

---------- Post Merged at 07:49 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:48 AM ----------

I think hardware wise and the specs of the S3 is superior to the iPhone 5. Not the quality tho. Quality wise. iPhone is way better. S3 just feels cheap and breaks easily (I'm not saying this because of the online videos)
But hardware and specs is not everything. iOS is just better than android. I won't say is way better because android has improved a lot. But iOS is just smooth. Doesn't matter how full your memory is, iOS just runs smooth. Android is like a PC. The older it gets, the more memory you use, the slower it gets.
People say open source is better.... Well. Think if you're a app/game developer. Would you rather make one app and sell it to 10 million people or make 30 different versions of the same app and sell it to 10 million people? iOS apps/games are just so much better and better quality. And there's a lot more of them.
3rd party accessories for apple are better also. In quality and quantity.
You buy an android phone and 3 months later. Your phone is outdated. I can walk around with my wife's iPhone 4 and I bet not a single person will think the phone is outdated.
The iOS/apple ecosystem is just better. I know I might sound biased. But I had android before and I loved it. But I will never go back. At least for now.

good information

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Price
SAM $600/$650
Apple $199/$299/$399 at launch via carrier or $649/$749/$849 unlocked

---------- Post Merged at 07:49 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:48 AM ----------

good information

Where did you get that information? The s3 is the same price as the iPhone or cheaper... $149 for a 16gb at best buy, $199 through Verizon. Full retail they're the same too.

Daniel Gaming freak

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Great! Because of new passbook applications. I would say every thing comes handy after launch of iPhone 5. Now we can store our movie tickets or any information in electronic form.

Ravanelli

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 5 has better build quality than SGS3 for sure, feels so solid and lighter! From software/OS wise I think iOS little bit better, it's smooth, simple & stable .In the other hand Android is a power eater, they need huge amount of power, just to be smooth but in the end they still have lag + crash! Yeah ur right, quad core+1gb ram but still laggy....
Still there are some things I love about Android that u can easily customize ur home screen with lot of widgets just to make ur life easier. I hope Apple implement this widget thing on their next iOS update.

Actually this is my first year in iOS world, and I used many android smartphones before (Nexus One, Xperia X10, Xperia Neo, SGS2, LG 4X HD). I think I'm not gonna back to android.....maybe someday but not now.

tony477g

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I own the galaxy s3, I'm going to voice my opinion though because they are both great phones. Screen size, you guys may say the s3 has a screen that is too big, to fit in your pocket and hand. I have some small hands and still am able to manage, If you wear girl pants unless you put the phone in your purse, its not going to fit. One thing i love about apple is updates! Jelly bean isnt going to be released anytime soon on the s3 and that sucks! After seeing drop tests I will say apple built a solid phone. Apps are sometimes funny working on the s3, you have to back out and get back in so they work right at times. Thing about itunes though is you guys have to pay for most of your apps when google has a lot of them free. Widgets are awesome, just looking at the screen and they are there. You can also customize them. I find no lag in this phone and i doubt theres any in the iphone 5. If the iphone 5 had an led indicator it would make it a lot better. You may think its stupid but when you leave your phone somewhere and the blue light comes on you know theres a message. Also all the different motion controls which we can turn on or off at any time. For the amount of things added to the phone I believe the s3 is better. For quality and how well ios works on the iphone it definitely wins there.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The i5 and S3 are both great phones. What makes one better than the other is the needs of the owner.

There is no best phone for everyone... only the best phone for you.

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I own the galaxy s3, I'm going to voice my opinion though because they are both great phones. Screen size, you guys may say the s3 has a screen that is too big, to fit in your pocket and hand. I have some small hands and still am able to manage, If you wear girl pants unless you put the phone in your purse, its not going to fit. One thing i love about apple is updates! Jelly bean isnt going to be released anytime soon on the s3 and that sucks! After seeing drop tests I will say apple built a solid phone. Apps are sometimes funny working on the s3, you have to back out and get back in so they work right at times. Thing about itunes though is you guys have to pay for most of your apps when google has a lot of them free. Widgets are awesome, just looking at the screen and they are there. You can also customize them. I find no lag in this phone and i doubt theres any in the iphone 5. If the iphone 5 had an led indicator it would make it a lot better. You may think its stupid but when you leave your phone somewhere and the blue light comes on you know theres a message. Also all the different motion controls which we can turn on or off at any time. For the amount of things added to the phone I believe the s3 is better. For quality and how well ios works on the iphone it definitely wins there.

About the paid apps. While not always the case. iPhone has better quality apps that I would much rather pay $1 for it than get a free crappy app.
About GS3 having all the added features. I was actually talking to a co-worker that owns a GS3 just now about it. It is nice that the GS3 has all that stuff but in reality. You can't use most of it in most cases. And some other stuff that the phone has. I bet 98% of users don't even know they have it. Like NFC. What's the point o having it if you can't even use it anywhere? Turn the phone to silence, eye ball tracker, Etc. Most people don't know about them.
Don't get me wrong. GS3 is an awesome phone. But I just think most of the features are useless for now. The industry hasn't caught up to the technology yet.
And one thing I hate about the GS3 is the speaker on the back while the face has no edge to protect the glass. How am I supposed to listen to music?
Oh one more thing. You say you have no lag on android? Just wait a year or when the memory starts getting full. It will start lagging and crashing.

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
my latest personal gripe with android is that all these great apps that are available is cool....but i recently downloaded a couple text apps and it screwed up my phone so bad i now need a replacement. TouchWhiz stops every time i try to rush the phone to do something (like flip quickly between apps). my calendar appointments go off whenever they want. I get that this is a one-time thing, but the whole way tmobile sold me on android was cause i had "so many 3rd party apps to choose from" but if they screw up your phone, what's the point?

i really miss the reliability and safety (as far as bad apps) of apple.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I've owned many Android phones, including the S3. Also have owned iPhones starting with the 3GS all the way to my current iPhone 5. I prefer iOS over Android because the apps/programs are better. Camera, email, Facebook, Twitter, Billminder, texting. Those all work on Android, but they work better on iOS. Having said that, I love the Google Voice navigation on Android. I'd actually pay a monthly subscription fee for that on iPhone. That's not a knock against Apple's maps, but I have so many places saved on my computer in Google maps and it syncs up to Android phones. I also enjoy using Safari and iCloud tabs for browsing. Yes I know Chrome has that too but your phone has to be on Jellybean to have Chrome, but that is the best option on Android for tabbed browsing from the cloud. On iOS we have Safari AND Chrome. And I use them both. Now, if you put a gun to my head and made me get an Android device, I'd choose the Motorola RAZR MAXX HD. I prefer Motorola phones over Samsung.

- - - Updated - - -

my latest personal gripe with android is that all these great apps that are available is cool....but i recently downloaded a couple text apps and it screwed up my phone so bad i now need a replacement. TouchWhiz stops every time i try to rush the phone to do something (like flip quickly between apps). my calendar appointments go off whenever they want. I get that this is a one-time thing, but the whole way tmobile sold me on android was cause i had "so many 3rd party apps to choose from" but if they screw up your phone, what's the point?

i really miss the reliability and safety (as far as bad apps) of apple.

Time to go back to iPhone?? Lol

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I also enjoy using Safari and iCloud tabs for browsing. Yes I know Chrome has that too but your phone has to be on Jellybean to have Chrome, but that is the best option on Android for tabbed browsing from the cloud. On iOS we have Safari AND Chrome. And I use them both. Now, if you put a gun to my head and made me get an Android device, I'd choose the Motorola RAZR MAXX HD. I prefer Motorola phones over Samsung.

Chrome is available on ICS and actually comes pre installed on the maxx HD...by the way here's a screenshot of my battery on my maxx hd since early Friday morning.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350785629442.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350785629442.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 89

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Chrome is available on ICS and actually comes pre installed on the maxx HD...by the way here's a screenshot of my battery on my maxx hd since early Friday morning.

You are correct, Chrome is available on ICS. I stand corrected. When did the MAXX HD hit the stores?? IMO, you and I have the two top phones in the world.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
You are correct, Chrome is available on ICS. I stand corrected. When did the MAXX HD hit the stores?? IMO, you and I have the two top phones in the world.

Having had the iPhone 5 I agree....if came out Thursday. I charged it Thursday night and haven't plugged it in since.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Very fair price. My step son just picked up the 32GB RAZR MAXX from last year for $199. I would have waited and plunked the extra $100 for the HD version lol. You still on unlimited or tiered data?

Status
Not open for further replies.