Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

Status
Not open for further replies.

keneo

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow!

Big thanks for your suggestions. I just downloaded Weatherbug on your recommendation and it is exactly what I hoped!
I will definitely be looking for a stock ticker app that does the same. when I get home from work, I will try your other suggestions too.

I hope jelly bean comes soon. I am having issues. At first the S3 was smooth to operate even in ICS. But for the last week I am getting jerky scrolling though web pages and ten-second-long lock ups that end with a pop up msg saying "apps.google.... has stopped."

Right now I suspect I will end up going back to iPhone because of the screen issues, comfort, and ecosystem.
If you decide to go back to the S3 maybe we should do a straight trade.

take care.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow!

Big thanks for your suggestions. I just downloaded Weatherbug on your recommendation and it is exactly what I hoped!
I will definitely be looking for a stock ticker app that does the same. when I get home from work, I will try your other suggestions too.

I hope jelly bean comes soon. I am having issues. At first the S3 was smooth to operate even in ICS. But for the last week I am getting jerky scrolling though web pages and ten-second-long lock ups that end with a pop up msg saying "apps.google.... has stopped."

Right now I suspect I will end up going back to iPhone because of the screen issues, comfort, and ecosystem.
If you decide to go back to the S3 maybe we should do a straight trade.

take care.

No problem. I actually still have my s3 so I can use them side by side and compare before I decide which one I want to keep. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, or maybe I'm just used to android, but I haven't had any problems with my s3...no lock ups, no lag, good battery life, etc. I'm also familiar with iOS though..I've had the iPhone 4, 4S, and now 5. There are plenty of good things about both that's for sure.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Here's a couple of screen shots comparing the two. Home screens vs this forum using Tapatalk app on both.

sent using my Galaxy S3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349373945244.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349373945244.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 70
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349373979211.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349373979211.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 71

_X_

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Bloomberg has a some pretty good stock tickers

As for iTeleport equivalent the popular ones are
LogMeIn (VNC/RDP)
PocketClould (VNC/RDP)
VNC Viewer (VNC only)
RDM+ Remote Desktop (RDP)

As far as Streamtome I now there are similar apps but I've not heard/used any of them. Most people with android upload their music to GMusic and stream from GMusic.

4truegrit

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
my question is this, I have a s 3 and like it very much. I just purchased an iPhone 5 and want to use both on the same line with Verizon. Can I cut my microSIM from the S 3 into a nano Sim and insert into the iPhone and use it? Then using a microSIM adapter go back to my S 3 whenever I want? I just purchased the Cutter and adapter on eBay, haven't received it yet. This would be ideal for me. I was disappointed when I found out the iPhone 5 was going to have a nano Sim. I switch my microSIM between Android phones on Verizon all the time, easy as pie. This is more risky I think. Anybody doing this or you know if it's possible, I don't want to damage the SIM card reader in. either phone.?? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

keneo

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
my question is this, I have a s 3 and like it very much. I just purchased an iPhone 5 and want to use both on the same line with Verizon. Can I cut my microSIM from the S 3 into a nano Sim and insert into the iPhone and use it? Then using a microSIM adapter go back to my S 3 whenever I want? I just purchased the Cutter and adapter on eBay, haven't received it yet. This would be ideal for me. I was disappointed when I found out the iPhone 5 was going to have a nano Sim. I switch my microSIM between Android phones on Verizon all the time, easy as pie. This is more risky I think. Anybody doing this or you know if it's possible, I don't want to damage the SIM card reader in. either phone.?? Thanks

As for actually cutting the micro into a nano, yes it is theoretically possible. But my understanding is that it is extremely difficult. I was listening to Leo Laporte say that not only do you have to cut it, but its too thick and you actually have to SHAVE it! But sometimes its hard to tell when Leo is joking.

My question to you is this. Why bother purchasing a cutter and adapter and go through the risky business of cutting out a micro? Why not just purchase a nano sim from your provider? I used to have a two sim cards. All I had to do was call Rogers (in Canada) and they instantly activated whichever sim I wanted whenever I wanted. the nano sims only cost about $10.

Of course if you are constantly switching sims or if your provider is hard to get on the phone this might not be the best option.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It should work... but be advised that the nano SIM is also slightly thinner than the standard SIM... so rather than modify the nano SIM, I'd recommend going to AT&T and getting a nano SIM from them... then use the adapter in the GS3.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Im sorry, and i know everyone has their own opinion...but the camera on the GSIII isn't even in the same league as the iPhone 5, and was JUST comparable to the 4S's camera. Tons of reviews online have shown this between the 4S and GSIII, and there are now comparisons between the GSIII and the iP5. Bottom line, it blows the GSIII's camera out of the water. If there's one proven feature of the iPhone that stands above all others, it's the camera.

---------- Post Merged at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Im sorry, and i know everyone has their own opinion...but the camera on the GSIII isn't even in the same league as the iPhone 5, and was JUST comparable to the 4S's camera. Tons of reviews online have shown this between the 4S and GSIII, and there are now comparisons between the GSIII and the iP5. Bottom line, it blows the GSIII's camera out of the water. If there's one proven feature of the iPhone that stands above all others, it's the camera.

4truegrit

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
As for actually cutting the micro into a nano, yes it is theoretically possible. But my understanding is that it is extremely difficult. I was listening to Leo Laporte say that not only do you have to cut it, but its too thick and you actually have to SHAVE it! But sometimes its hard to tell when Leo is joking.

My question to you is this. Why bother purchasing a cutter and adapter and go through the risky business of cutting out a micro? Why not just purchase a nano sim from your provider? I used to have a two sim cards. All I had to do was call Rogers (in Canada) and they instantly activated whichever sim I wanted whenever I wanted. the nano sims only cost about $10.

Of course if you are constantly switching sims or if your provider is hard to get on the phone this might not be the best option.

It should work... but be advised that the nano SIM is also slightly thinner than the standard SIM... so rather than modify the nano SIM, I'd recommend going to AT&T and getting a nano SIM from them... then use the adapter in the GS3.

Okay thank you, I am with Verizon and of course in the past with the 4s this wasn't possible as the 4S wasn't 4 G L T E as the 5 is now. I think I will take the iPhone 5 into Verizon and get it activated with a nano Sim and then my microSIM in the S 3 will be deactivated. But then I can use the micro adapter to go back to the S 3. Rather than mess around and cutting the micro into a nano and making a mess of it. I've been reading some about people doing the cutting and while they say it works okay, I believe there still is a danger of doing damage to the SIM reader, there is the possibility of it getting stuck. I know I've talked to verizon and of course they say it is impossible and even if it was not to try it, but I knew that's what they would say. Just wanted to get their input.

rockerchick

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Simply put it just works right out of the box. I don't have to tweak it and change this or that to make it do what I need it to do. I love love love that all of my contacts, apps, data, and even my settings will back up to the cloud or my computer and i can set it to do so on a schedule. So if I ever have to restore or if I purchase a new phone everything is EXACTLY how I set it up before and I mean everything! Ringtones, data from apps, all apps are in the right folders and I don't have to remember or go searching for or write down my apps before wiping clean. All oft user info is there as it was before. You don't know what major headache it can be to set up a phone until you've done it an 8th time. By that time you'd just give up say what the hell and just leave it as it is.
I do love the seamless integration with my other Mac devices and I was able to import the google calendars into the built in calendars until I switched over. There is more but ill stop here..... For now.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I went to Verizon today to exchange a case for my 5 so I decide to play with a s3 to see what is all the hype .. A rep comes over showing another couple and basically making it sound amazing then she shows them something on the phone and the phone froze would not respond to touch or anything ... I started laughing and had to walk away ... Confirmed my decision of buying my 5 right there lol

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

---------- Post Merged at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Not that I disagree but this gave me an idea. I have both so I did a comparison. Here's one from the iPhone 5ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349397153.157536.jpg

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
And here's one from the s3

sent using my Galaxy S3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349397187106.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349397187106.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 60

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
With the iPhone 4 I had iOS4 - iOS6. Even the 3GS was eligible for iOS6 and that device has been out for over 3 years. How many Android devices that have been out for 3 years have gotten Android updates?

I'm not an Android hater by any means....the OS does a lot of good things, I just worry about the longevity of my device.
Yes this is great, but IOS has one major flaw-- you cannot downgrade. With older devices, yes its great to still get update love, but if it makes the phone unbearably slow its not always a good choice to upgrade. Its basically a way to force you to upgrade the device. My ipod touch 4g is running 5.1.1 and I do not plan to update the firmware past this. Its nice to try out an os, but if its not for me Id like the option to downgrade. I still got the iphone 5 but its not perfect.

Iphones are so ubiquitous so its an easy choice to make. I can connect it to my car, everyone has chargers, cases have a great variety of choices.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Colors are a little better on the iPhone I think

It goes so far beyond that though (just in those two pictures you took)...the saturation, the contrast, the brightness, the color balance...in those two quick snap shots you can tell that the iPhone takes a better picture than the GSIII, and that's not even a full resolution picture from either of them...blow them up and see how much more noise appears on the GSIII (i did this comparison with my brother in laws GSIII at my niece's birthday party...it was pretty substantial). You can actually see the noise a bit on the nose of bullseye from the GSIII, the iPhone's has a nice and smooth shadow transition.

Sorry, im a bit of a camera snob...my wife has about $25k worth of camera equipment in the other room and just being around her i pay attention the the details that really drive the camera argument home for me on the iPhone 5 (and i will be the first to admit, the coming Lumia 920's camera showing so far have been amazing for a phone camera).

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I love all these "which phone is better?" threads. "Better" is subjective based on each persons usage and needs. What I find "better" may be annoying to someone else, or they may find it a useless feature. Yes we can toss hardware specs back and forth like a tennis match, but as most people know......specs don't define real world performance (unless you are talking camera (not megapixels!!!) or display hardware).

Honestly, each person has to figure out what they want out of a smartphone and play with several (Android, iPhone, Blackberry, WP) and figure out which they like/fits their needs the best. :)

anon4777411

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of reasons why. To start off...

Design and construction
Crafting a beautiful, pocketable, durable phone isn?t easy, and Apple still knows how to do it better than anyone. The iPhone 5 doesn?t change much from the iPhone 4, but it remains the best-looking phone on the market today, and the best built. Apple has improved the scratch and shatter resistance of its glass, and used more aluminum in the frame, making the iPhone 5 much more durable than its predecessors and Samsung?s polycarbonate (a durable type of plastic) Galaxy S3.

The iPhone 5 is also suspiciously lightweight for the materials it uses, weighing only 112 grams, less than the S3′s 133 gram weight. This could be due to the thinness of Apple?s phone, which matches the Droid Razr?s impressive 7.6mm depth, but without any camera bump. The S3 is also an impressive 8.6mm thick. For reference, the iPhone 4 and 4S were about 9.3mm thick, which set a benchmark for its time.

Drop and shatter tests (like this one) seem to be unanimously coming out in favor of the iPhone 5. Even after painful five- or six-foot drops, most iPhone 5 units have only minor dings in the aluminum frame. They somehow escape screen shattering far longer than the S3, despite Samsung?s inclusion of Gorilla Glass, which is known for its durability.
Winner: iPhone 5

Feel
Though it?s difficult to argue that Apple?s phone is built better than Samsung?s, when it comes to comfort, the Galaxy S3 puts up a strong fight. Samsung has been tweaking the size, shape, and button layouts of its phones several times a year for several years now. The Galaxy S3 is a result of consumer migration toward phones with larger screens. Despite being significantly wider and longer than the iPhone 5, the S3 is more comfortable to hold and use due to its button placement. By placing the power and volume buttons on the sides toward the middle of the phone, users can more naturally press both buttons, interact with the screen, and reach the Home, Back, and Menu buttons on the device. The iPhone 5 is still a comfortable device, but Apple has not adjusted the placement of its power button to match the fact that it is now a longer (not wider) phone.
Of course, those with Andre the Giant hands will undoubtedly lean toward the S3 and those with more petite digits will gravitate toward the iPhone 5. Still, we?re going to give this one to Samsung for somehow making a phone with a 4.8-inch screen completely usable and comfortable to hold. Perhaps more comfortable than the world?s leading smartphone when it comes to two-handed typing and other select activities.
Winner: Galaxy S3

Screen quality
The iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 light up an age-old (that?s two years in tech time) debate over which screen technologies offer the best picture quality. Since the introduction of the ?Retina? (high resolution) display in the iPhone 4, other smartphone manufacturers have been scrambling to create screens that can match Apple?s impressive 326 pixel-per-inch phone screens, which are based on high-end IPS LCD screen technology. To counter Apple, Samsung has gone with AMOLED, a variation on OLED technology. We?ve already compared the difference between LCD and AMOLED screens. The S3 might be the best implementation of AMOLED we?ve seen yet, retaining the deep blacks possible with OLED (each pixel is lit up separately, so black pixels have no backlight behind them at all).
Though we really love AMOLED?s strengths, those of you with the sharpest eyes might prefer the iPhone 5. According to in-depth tests performed by DisplayMate, it?s better calibrated and gets brighter. We can?t argue. Though OLED may be the future of displays, Apple?s good old LCD takes the crown today.
Winner: iPhone 5

User interface
Despite ongoing lawsuits over the similarities between Apple and Samsung products, the differences between the Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5 user interfaces are quite stark.

Visually, it?s hard to argue against Apple. iOS is simple, easy to use, and full of fun animations. No other touch operating system is so pleasant and enthralling (at least, at first) to learn and operate. With the Galaxy S3, Samsung is trying really hard to make Android a more consistent and beautiful experience, but its attempts feel contrived and, at times, misguided. In many ways, the Galaxy S3 might be a better phone if Samsung had left Android alone. Google?s recent Android interfaces may not be as bright as iOS, but they do have some personality. Samsung?s phone does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices