Anyone else unlock their iPhone 5 yet?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
After reading over all these post I still have a question. So i understand if i get my phone unlocked when i go to Rome later this year and i buy a prepaid sim card that i can buy one with lets say 100 min and be able to make calls and such. Do these cards also have data? and what are some websites that you guys like to go to find the best rates and such?

You're going to have a tough time finding a pre-paid nano-SIM card, just FYI.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
After reading over all these post I still have a question. So i understand if i get my phone unlocked when i go to Rome later this year and i buy a prepaid sim card that i can buy one with lets say 100 min and be able to make calls and such. Do these cards also have data? and what are some websites that you guys like to go to find the best rates and such?

Some prepaid cards have data included, however, most do not and charge extra for data at a much higher rate. You will have to check this before setting up your prepaid service. I get my T-Mobile PP cards off eBay.....That said, this thread is about unlocking the iPhone 5, so maybe you will get more help with your prepaid questions if you start up your own thread on that subject.

Ukilnme

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked yesterday for $12.99, couple dollars more than the rest, but it worked. Right after restore " Congrats your iphone is unlocked" Now what? Wait for the others to provide nano sim? What the hell it will be OK. Just idea of knowing I can take the iPhone 5 with me. SATISFYING ENOUGH.

GreenDize12

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Yup, except 2 thing. 1: I actually only paid $7.36 instead of $9 and I received the confirmation to Restore thru iTunes. #2 - as soon I plugged my phone too iTunes, it automatically deleted everything on my phone, which I found kind of odd because I don't have iTunes set up to sync automatically. I did the restore, got the Unlocked confirmation from iTunes, then proceeded to restore everything one by one. But hey, at least my 32GB iPhone is currently worth a $1000 on the grey market now. I'd definitely recommend this as they actually only took 3 hours instead of 24.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Which is quite easy if you have the sizes, a steady hand, and a sharp pair of scissors.

Yep, I did an experiment trying to use a Verizon sim from my android phone. I cut it down to size and it fit perfectly in the iPhone 5's sim tray and the system read it and acknowledged the service. However, it could not be activated because the system sees a difference in the traditional 4g sim and new iPhone sim. Apparently the Verizon system will not accept a 4g sim from an android phone inside the new iPhone. Don't know why though. Looking at the sims, there is a slight different pattern on the gold contacts.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Sim cutter would have been nice when I was cutting my sim down! LOL

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
why are u guys restoring? lol all u have to do is pop ur sim card and it will worked no need for a restore

Can you elaborate? If you don't have another sim and just AT&T, how can you verify it's unlock without restoring?

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Google sim lock status and input your imei and it will give you all your phones info.

Do those sites actually report the status of the phone or simply indicate whether or not the IMEI entered is in the database as unlocked? The difference is whether it's possible to unlock that phone/IMEI or if it's actually been unlocked.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Do those sites actually report the status of the phone or simply indicate whether or not the IMEI entered is in the database as unlocked? The difference is whether it's possible to unlock that phone/IMEI or if it's actually been unlocked.

The sites that I checked on listed my device as an AT&T iPhone 5 that has already been unlocked. Not sure if this answers your question or not, Fausty.

---------- Post Merged at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Unlocked yesterday for $12.99, couple dollars more than the rest, but it worked. Right after restore " Congrats your iphone is unlocked" Now what? Wait for the others to provide nano sim? What the hell it will be OK. Just idea of knowing I can take the iPhone 5 with me. SATISFYING ENOUGH.

I'm with you on this one. It's a small price to pay for the satisfaction of know owning an iPhone 5 that is factory unlocked and can be used on another GSM carrier if we need at a later time.

---------- Post Merged at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:13 PM ----------

I have a verizon iPhone 5 and the link says mine is locked. Didn't it come unlocked out of the box?

Not sure where you are checking, however, if you do have a Verizon iPhone 5, it is definitely unlocked already.

RedLine78

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I just bought AT&T iPhone 5 @ no-commitment price (ie full price) and I went to this web site someone had mention earlier (IMEI Checker | DevMK iPhone Blog) and it shows my IMEI as UNLOCKED. I didn't restore or anything. I haven't tried putting in another GSM sim card to test it yet. I will report back when I do.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Is that site legit? I just checked mine and it said unlocked. I haven't done anything yet to unlock it and bought it for subsidized price.
I just bought AT&T iPhone 5 @ no-commitment price (ie full price) and I went to this web site someone had mention earlier (IMEI Checker | DevMK iPhone Blog) and it shows my IMEI as UNLOCKED. I didn't restore or anything. I haven't tried putting in another GSM sim card to test it yet. I will report back when I do.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73