Anyone else unlock their iPhone 5 yet?

Big Zeus

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
BTW if you all look harder he does iPhone 5 unlocks for $6 in other auctions! That's what I paid.

A4FIrEQCUAA7zSNjpg_large_zpsa70d9ddc.jpg

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question, I received my "unlock screen". If I didn't restore from backup and restored as a new phone, will this void the unlock? Or is restoring from backup is just a convenience so you don't have to deal with adding everything back on your phone? I went through setting up my phone as new but I don't know if my phone is unlocked and I don't have another carrier's SIM. If anyone can help that would be great! Thanks

You don't have to restore from a backup in order for it to be unlocked. When I did my son's 3GS I restored as new. You may or may not receive the unlock message. I don't remember getting the unlock message with his either, however, his prepaid T-Mobile SIM card worked just fine so I know it really was unlocked..... If you type in your iPhones IMEI number in this link, it will confirm for you that your iPhone has been unlocked. Free iPhone IMEI Checker with Free Simlock Status Check Only by IMEI

Big Zeus

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to restore from a backup in order for it to be unlocked. When I did my son's 3GS I restored as new. You may or may not receive the unlock message. I don't remember getting the unlock message with his either, however, his prepaid T-Mobile SIM card worked just fine so I know it really was unlocked..... If you type in your iPhones IMEI number in this link, it will confirm for you that your iPhone has been unlocked. Free iPhone IMEI Checker with Free Simlock Status Check Only by IMEI

This is true I never do. Just put the "invalid SIM" in and plug into itunes with an internet connection. Let it sit for 2-4 minutes and you get the same message. But you of course have to have an off network SIM card to do it this way.

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This is true I never do. Just put the "invalid SIM" in and plug into itunes with an internet connection. Let it sit for 2-4 minutes and you get the same message. But you of course have to have an off network SIM card to do it this way.

Hmm didn't know this will keep this in mind next time I unlock a phone.

via Tapatalk

Eric808

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I guess I did the process wrong because when I checked my IMEI on that website it says that the phone is still locked. Thanks for the replies though, at least I know I need to go back to the drawing board.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So wait if it is free to unlock my AT&T phone if I bought it outright, who do I go about doing that?

You have to use AT&T's Device Unlock Portal to submit your request to have your phone unlocked. Use this link to submit your request and info. AT&T will send you an email with unlock instructions once your request has been approved. (check the box and click on I agree to get to submit your info) https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

elementbt

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok great. Also I am still under contract with them, however this phone was bought outright and the phone that was attached to the contract was sold. Does that matter?

Eric808

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Nevermind, I went back to the eBay site and put my IMIE # in to the checker and it reported that I was AT&T but the phone is already unlocked! Thank you guys for all your help!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Nevermind, I went back to the eBay site and put my IMIE # in to the checker and it reported that I was AT&T but the phone is already unlocked! Thank you guys for all your help!

Good to hear, Eric. Glad it worked out for you. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Worked like a champ! I know i could have probably harassed AT&T and got it for free sometime in the next 12 months but for $9, I'm not complaining!

mrxtc007_2k2

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
That helps. My basic questions are:

1. I have a Verizon phone so I know it is unlocked already. So, I assume I can just pop in a SIM card when I say go to Germany from a local carrier and use their network. When I come home, I put in my Verizon SIM card and all is good. My question on that is do I have to do any sort of back-ups or syncs when I do this or is just this as simple as it seems?

2. I assume based on your answer that there are SIM cards for say Alcatel in Mexico, Bell in Canada, and say Vodaphone for EU. I also assume there are companies that just have flat rates for each country and once you pop their card in, you are set regardless of where you are? In other words, I don't have to buy a specific card for use in Canada. I can but a card that is good in Canada or Mexico or Europe, however there may be different rates for each. Correct? and if so, what is my best bet? It seems what I see on ebay is questionable at best.

1. Yes you can just pop in a local carriers sim card and your phone will work there, mo need to restore or back up anything.
2. Like Peligro911 said...research whats available on line for the country you are going to or just wait I'll you get there. I recommend the pre-paid sim cards since you're only going to be there for a bit.

It's really that simple, nothing to it.

---------- Post Merged at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:42 PM ----------

This is probably a stupid question, I received my "unlock screen". If I didn't restore from backup and restored as a new phone, will this void the unlock? Or is restoring from backup is just a convenience so you don't have to deal with adding everything back on your phone? I went through setting up my phone as new but I don't know if my phone is unlocked and I don't have another carrier's SIM. If anyone can help that would be great! Thanks

http://dev.mk/ click on the link and then click on IMEI checker on the top left. Enter your IMEI number and it'll let you know if your phone is locked or not.

Last edited:

Big Zeus

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok great. Also I am still under contract with them, however this phone was bought outright and the phone that was attached to the contract was sold. Does that matter?

If it was bought outright a simple restore in iTunes should unlock it. Or putting an unsupported SIM card in. Those are the rumors I hear at least.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I got the unlock congrats message and I bought mine outright again this year like I did last year with the 4S and I'm on AT&T

corvarea2

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
After reading over all these post I still have a question. So i understand if i get my phone unlocked when i go to Rome later this year and i buy a prepaid sim card that i can buy one with lets say 100 min and be able to make calls and such. Do these cards also have data? and what are some websites that you guys like to go to find the best rates and such?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen