Dented iPhone 5 - Need Advice On Returning/Replacing Within 14 Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapor86

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a 4S for over 2 years and it doesn't have a single scratch or dent on it. 6 days into owning my 5 (which I organized, deleted useless crap, etc for several days), it fell out of my pocket at the bottom of the phone got a huge dent. Luckily, Verizon offers a 14 day return policy for whatever reason. The only problem (based on my conversation with a phone rep) is I would have to give back my iphone 5 now and they said they are getting more in 2 weeks at the store, so I would have to go back to my 4S for 2 weeks. I also am supposed to send my 4S to Gazelle by 10/10 (I am sure I can still sell it afterwards, but it would less).

I am trying to find out if anyone has experience with this. I was hoping since it is their fault for not having any in stock I should be able to hold on to mine until they receive more 5s that I can switch then. If anyone has any experience with this please let me know! Thanks!

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
It's aluminum. Take it to Apple and have it switched out.

They should have replacements in stock. Just no new purchase iPhone 5's

Good luck.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I just sold a phone to Gazelle after they were waiting for it for 3 months and got the same amount they offered. Don't worry about them.

gixxer07600

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
You damaged it therefor you should have to pay to have it fixed. That's all there is to it.

I'm iPhone. And I hope they deny the return. You shouldn't be able to return or exchange something you broke.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I misunderstood his original post vs what other were reporting days previous with damaged devices on delivery.

They are correct. your own damage is not covered.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
... since it is their fault for not having any in stock ...

Pretty demanding aren't we? How is it the retailers fault for now having any in stock? It's supply and demand... maybe next time you'll be more careful. What if you were outside your 14 days, would you still be blaming Verizon??

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a 4S for over 2 years and it doesn't have a single scratch or dent on it. 6 days into owning my 5 (which I organized, deleted useless crap, etc for several days), it fell out of my pocket at the bottom of the phone got a huge dent. Luckily, Verizon offers a 14 day return policy for whatever reason. The only problem (based on my conversation with a phone rep) is I would have to give back my iphone 5 now and they said they are getting more in 2 weeks at the store, so I would have to go back to my 4S for 2 weeks. I also am supposed to send my 4S to Gazelle by 10/10 (I am sure I can still sell it afterwards, but it would less).

I am trying to find out if anyone has experience with this. I was hoping since it is their fault for not having any in stock I should be able to hold on to mine until they receive more 5s that I can switch then. If anyone has any experience with this please let me know! Thanks!

Go back to your 4s for 2 weeks if Verizon going to swap out the 5 for whatever reason. Even if Gazelle gives you a lower price you gotta take it on the chin in some way if you damaged it. It's a win for you if Verizon takes a back a user damaged phone and gives you a clean one.

Vapor86

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I am a little confused. Will Apple replace my iphone 5??

As for Verizon, that is their policy (doesn't matter what phone) you have 14 days to return it for whatever reason you see fit. But if someone can clarify that Apple will do the swap that would be so much more convenient and easier.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
He can try to take back for a refund and keep fingers crossed. But it's a restock fee plus he'll eat the activation fee.

Or he can go to an apple store and claim it came that way and try to swap it.

No one can clarify this for you. It's the luck of the draw of which Apple genius you talk to. Luckily you got stories of people getting damaged iphones to help you out.

BTW..i'm pretty sure Verizon requires the phone returned in like new condition.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
BTW..i'm pretty sure Verizon requires the phone returned in like new condition.

^ This is correct, if there is any physical damage you are stuck with the phone.

I cant believe you are trying to fraud the system when you did the damage yourself. I hope you dont get it replaced either.

Vapor86

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
According to the people I spoke with on the phone I am entitled to return it with scratches/damages within the 14 day period.

soogriff

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. A lot of people would love to rock the iPhones "naked" but for the clumsy, cases are there for a reason. If you dropped it, that's on you. They shouldn't replace iPhones for people that damage their phones. It's not like the phone malfunctioned and it was out of your control. Abuse of the return policy if they do exchange it for you. That's my opinion anyway.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Wow never heard of being able to damage a device and return it. Usually on the receipt it states that for returns the item condition must be basically like you received it. This ought to be interesting.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's aluminum. Take it to Apple and have it switched out.

They should have replacements in stock. Just no new purchase iPhone 5's

Good luck.

Who do you think pays to replace butterfinger's phone? Hint: It's not him. It's not Apple. And it's not Verizon.

It's kind of like those who don't pay any taxes getting a tax refund. Still not sure how that happens, either. SMH

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
According to the people I spoke with on the phone I am entitled to return it with scratches/damages within the 14 day period.

I dont know what people you spoke with but I just text a buddy of mine who manages a Verizon store back in Ohio and he said phones with visible damage may not be returned.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2