who is the Dad of the year? i am.

rex450se

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
We just switched over to Verizon from T-Mobile with 5 lines. The LTE in the iPhone is what really got me to swich. I got 4 iPhone 5's and bought one 4S off of Craigslist for my daughter. That way, next year she can get my 5 and I can use her upgrade eligibility for the 5S. She's only 10 so the 4S should easily last her a couple years. She's had an iPod nano for 4 years and an iPod touch for 2 so I trust her with it.

Victor

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think it's nice that you did that. However, "Dad of the year" to me isn't someone who gives his kids something new, but rather, one who works long hours everyday to provide necessary things for his children and spends what little time he might have for himself with his children instead....

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it's nice that you did that. However, "Dad of the year" to me isn't someone who gives his kids something new, but rather, one who works long hours everyday to provide necessary things for his children and spends what little time he might have for himself with his children instead....

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

That means I'm dad of the year, great! I'm sleeping less than 5 hours a night in order to have free time with my daughter AND for myself. That's the concession I have to make, I'm really someone that needs his time alone, and the night is perfect for that!

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
You're sick. Using the upgrade your son has probably waited a year or more to use and you use it for yourself.../:

Nice job to BLiNK for letting your kids use their upgrades instead of for your own selfish whims. That's very nice of you :)

Um yeah, not so much. He has an Env 2 and is happy to have it. If you have a 13 year old who has been waiting more than a year to use an upgrade, that kid got a phone way to soon. The only reason he got that phone was to text his Dad who left him and moved four states away.(piece of dirt won't call him, only text so we got him a phone to do so) I have raised a son who doesn't feel that he's entitled to everything and also knows he has no use for an iPhone. What's he going to do with it he can't do with either his current phone or iPod? Nothing. Why would I pay another $30 a month for no gain? That's just stupid and wasting money. What he really wants is an iPad, if they release a Mini he will have one. If not he'll get a refurbed iPad 2. I think he's doing OK and so does he.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Um yeah, not so much. He has an Env 2 and is happy to have it. If you have a 13 year old who has been waiting more than a year to use an upgrade, that kid got a phone way to soon. The only reason he got that phone was to text his Dad who left him and moved four states away.(piece of dirt won't call him, only text so we got him a phone to do so) I have raised a son who doesn't feel that he's entitled to everything and also knows he has no use for an iPhone. What's he going to do with it he can't do with either his current phone or iPod? Nothing. Why would I pay another $30 a month for no gain? That's just stupid and wasting money. What he really wants is an iPad, if they release a Mini he will have one. If not he'll get a refurbed iPad 2. I think he's doing OK and so does he.

Good for you...13 can be a rough age. One thing to consider, he is close to the age where being able to track his location (via his phone) is a damn nice tool.
Cheers

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Good for you...13 can be a rough age. One thing to consider, he is close to the age where being able to track his location (via his phone) is a damn nice tool.
Cheers

Not everyone needs a tool to track where their kids are at no matter what their kids age is. I don't need a phone to tell me where my 2 kids are at. Using a tool to track a kids location is personal preference just like anything else.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

idrewpage

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Thats awesome. My dad would have never done that, if they had iPhone's in the 80's. I want a 5 also, but I have to wait until November 1st to upgrade at the $199.00 price. I will just have to hobble along with my 4S until then.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I am sure the kids are happy, but I would recommend to ask them to monitor their data usage - you don't want to be surprised when you get the bill...

iSmileyFace

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site

I'm 14 so obviously I don't have kids. Cool story, bro. I'm not trying to start flame wars. If your kid doesn't want an iPhone, kk. If he did that would have been selfish of you.

Sorry for late reply btw. I don't spend my whole life on these forums

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Why the hell did this thread get so serious, lol...

1.) Blink is dad of the year...if you disagree, shut up. :)

2.) There isn't a teenager alive that is getting a phone from their parents that get's precedence over the parents when it comes to upgrades...to me, a 13 year old doesn't deserve an iPhone (that's just me personally though), but I'll side with any parent in the world who takes a kids upgrade to get a new iPhone for themselves. A 13 year old is lucky to have a cell phone period, much less a new iPhone.

---------- Post Merged at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:20 PM ----------

I'm 14 so obviously I don't have kids. Cool story, bro. I'm not trying to start flame wars. If your kid doesn't want an iPhone, kk. If he did that would have been selfish of you.

Sorry for late reply btw. I don't spend my whole life on these forums

Selfish? lmfao...kiddo, I'm going to repeat this, there isn't a teenager still living at home in the WORLD that is entitled to something like a cell phone upgrade to a point where a parent using said upgrade is selfish. This is a privilege a child like you gets to enjoy because you're not old enough to sign up for one yourself and your parent allows you to have such things.

The self entitlement kids have these days is astonishing! I'm sure i was just as idiotic at 14 too. And as far as your "i dont spend my whole life on these forums", what else do you have to do? Homework? Mow the lawn? Take out the garbage? Quit pretending like you have more pressing matters youngin'!

CandyBean

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

2.) There isn't a teenager alive that is getting a phone from their parents that get's precedence over the parents when it comes to upgrades...to me, a 13 year old doesn't deserve an iPhone (that's just me personally though), but I'll side with any parent in the world who takes a kids upgrade to get a new iPhone for themselves. A 13 year old is lucky to have a cell phone period, much less a new iPhone.

---------- Post Merged at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Selfish? lmfao...kiddo, I'm going to repeat this, there isn't a teenager still living at home in the WORLD that is entitled to something like a cell phone upgrade to a point where a parent using said upgrade is selfish. This is a privilege a child like you gets to enjoy because you're not old enough to sign up for one yourself and your parent allows you to have such things.

The self entitlement kids have these days is astonishing! I'm sure i was just as idiotic at 14 too. And as far as your "i dont spend my whole life on these forums", what else do you have to do? Homework? Mow the lawn? Take out the garbage? Quit pretending like you have more pressing matters youngin'!

Sooo agree with you there. It's astonishing to hear 18 year olds complaining that their parents wont buy them a Louis Vuitton bag or True Religion jeans. Absolutely ridiculous.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Very well stated... and spot on correct, IMO.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I listened to a kid at Best Buy the other day complain to his mom that it wasn't fair that she was buying a plasma TV for her bedroom but not for the living room where he could use it...i wanted so badly to scold the kid but i just laughed and the mom looked at me and laughed as well, the idea was passed between us without even saying anything.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)...

You are on-point with this, my friend, and I concur wholeheartedly. I am a firm believer that everything kids have is a privilege. They have NO rights and are entitled to nothing but love. Years ago, a friend of mine had to educate one of her kids who was smart at the mouth in regard to what she thought she was entitled to. My friend said: I have to provide you with a place to live, but not personalized accommodations; food to eat, but not necessarily the food you want or like; clothes to wear, but not what's in style or the items you prefer; the ability to bathe, but I don't have to provide you with top tier products; access to education, but not where you want to be educated. I don't have to provide nail polish, perfume, lotion, lipstick, makeup, hair dyes, jewelry, mobile devices or a car and if you don't like it, feel free to exercise your right to leave home upon turning 18 and get them yourself. I was LMAO!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I listened to a kid at Best Buy the other day complain to his mom that it wasn't fair that she was buying a plasma TV for her bedroom but not for the living room where he could use it...i wanted so badly to scold the kid but i just laughed and the mom looked at me and laughed as well, the idea was passed between us without even saying anything.

Don't you just love their use of the term "fair"? My kids do the same thing and when I give them the "I'm about to dropkick you off the planet look", they walk away silently. ;)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't you just love their use of the term "fair"? My kids do the same thing and when I give them the "I'm about to dropkick you off the planet look", they walk away silently. ;)

I don't have kids, but when I'm at my brothers house, and his two sons start their mouthiness with him or their mom, all i have to do is give them that look, and even as just an uncle, they know to shut the trap and keep moving for their own well being! It's really quite satisfying, lol! I'm glad i personally had a dad and uncles who did that to me, when i was a kid, the cursing and crap that i see now would have landed me with a lashing from a switch or a belt...it's shocking! (but im sure every generation says the same thing)

And yes, unquestionably, everything the kids have is a privilege...since when are kids owed anything in terms of life's luxury? These kids today watch too much Kardashian, and not enough Cleanhouseian (that is copyrighted by my brother, i take no royalties but think it's hilarious!)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner