Why the jack should be on the top

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
For every one person who complains that they want it on the top again, there were 100 people who complained that Apple needed to move it to the bottom...so they did.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Reasons why the headphone jack should be on the bottom:

1. Its natural to slide your phone in your pocket upside down.
2. When charging and playing music in your car its much cleaner.
3. Less intrusive on the bottom IMO

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Not to be smug...but Bluetooth sets are to the point to where this is moot for me. Seems like bottom would work well though.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Reasons why the headphone jack should be on the bottom:

1. Its natural to slide your phone in your pocket upside down.
2. When charging and playing music in your car its much cleaner.
3. Less intrusive on the bottom IMO

1. I disagree. Strongly maybe it's because I stuff the phone in gym shorts
and don't really put it in upside down.
2. Depends your setup in your car. I use an auxiliary cable and it's very intrusive
when sitting in my cup holder. The phone is perfect in my cup holder.
3. Perhaps for some situations. I'll give you a 50/50 on that one.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'll believe it when I see proof of that. They had it on the top for five years.

Lynx hit the nail on the head...the headphone jack is now on the bottom, i don't think i need anymore proof than that...it's also been on the top of the iPod Touch for about the same amount of time that it was on the bottom of the iPhone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
We don't know exactly that that is the reason it's on the bottom. It may have to do a lot with
placement of the internals.

Or it might have a lot to do with putting the phone in your pocket upside down.
Or it might have to do with keeping things out of the open ports on the iphone while in your pocket (upside down).
Or it might have to do with having the digital input and analog input on the same side of the phone.
Or it might have to do with upcoming accessories we haven't seen that require the lightning port AND the headphone jack be next to each other.
Or it might have to do with any one of a hundred different theories people have as to why Apple decided to change it with this variant of the iPhone.

...or maybe Apple just did it to make you question why they did it. You can google if you want proof of the request being made for years by owners of iPhone's, i don't care either way, lol.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
What else can you use Bluetooth for though. And are there actually good bluetooth headphones? Because honestly, I have never used Bluetooth, why is it there?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Or it might have a lot to do with putting the phone in your pocket upside down.
Or it might have to do with keeping things out of the open ports on the iphone while in your pocket (upside down).
Or it might have to do with having the digital input and analog input on the same side of the phone.
Or it might have to do with upcoming accessories we haven't seen that require the lightning port AND the headphone jack be next to each other.
Or it might have to do with any one of a hundred different theories people have as to why Apple decided to change it with this variant of the iPhone.

...or maybe Apple just did it to make you question why they did it. You can google if you want proof of the request being made for years by owners of iPhone's, i don't care either way, lol.

I don't expect you to care. And it's just a discussion. "google it to see for yourself" is the easy way to weasel your way out of an answer that you can't provide during a discussion.
I just say that if we're gonna start throwing things out there (i.e. motoleo), let's be better about not just throwing it out there.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't expect you to care. And it's just a discussion. "google it to see for yourself" is the easy way to weasel your way out of an answer during a discussion.
I just say that if we're gonna start throwing things out there (i.e. motoleo), let's be better about not just throwing it out there.

I didn't weasel my way out of anything, i just understand that proving my point to you isn't a prerequisite for posting it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Because you had no idea what you're talking about lol

Yup...you figured it out kiddo.

But honestly (as pitiful as your attempt to bait me into scouring the web for "proof" was), why proof do you want? That people actually wanted the headphone jack on the bottom? Proof of that is as simple as searching out how people put their iPhone's into their pockets, and over the years people asking why, if they put their iPhone's in their pockets one way, would they put the headphone jack in a location that eats up some of the length of it in their pocket (from being upside down)...tall people who use the handsfree headset need the length for comfort and to keep the earbuds from falling out...you could probably find a million threads online referencing this from the various blogs and forums across the net...

Like i said kiddo, I'm not going to do your homework for you, i made a statement that it was because people wanted it there...you could attribute that to any number of reasons people list, or just keep telling yourself that you think it's not true. Again, it makes no difference to me, lol.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yup...you figured it out kiddo.

But honestly (as pitiful as your attempt to bait me into scouring the web for "proof" was), why proof do you want? That people actually wanted the headphone jack on the bottom? Proof of that is as simple as searching out how people put their iPhone's into their pockets, and over the years people asking why, if they put their iPhone's in their pockets one way, would they put the headphone jack in a location that eats up some of the length of it in their pocket (from being upside down)...tall people who use the handsfree headset need the length for comfort and to keep the earbuds from falling out...you could probably find a million threads online referencing this from the various blogs and forums across the net...

Like i said kiddo, I'm not going to do your homework for you, i made a statement that it was because people wanted it there...you could attribute that to any number of reasons people list, or just keep telling yourself that you think it's not true. Again, it makes no difference to me, lol.

I asked for proof because it was brought up. Simply because of that, mija.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
If I could be helpful, I could just post was Steve Jobs said about the jack belonging on the bottom and we can get this thread closed.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I think it came down to a construction issue over a usability decision. The jack on the bottom adds stability to the construction and it allows for an unbroken antenna on the top part of the device. I'm sure there are lots of reasons for the change and I would bet this is one of the rate times that Apple chose construction over function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2