Why the jack should be on the top

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Another "why didn't Apple do this" complaint. It just is the way it is, accept it and move on. I'm sure Apple engineers had their reasoning.

I take it you've never given feedback to any company about any product or service then? After all, it is what is, accept it.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
From the first device, Palm Treo owners complained bitterly about the headphone jack being on the bottom and how it caused extra wear and tear on headphone cords. We were always waiting for the next device so that they headphone would be moved to the top. I find it amusing that Apple has now had to move the jack to the bottom - where it's always been on the iPod Touch. Presumably so that the innards fit better in the new slim design.

No amount of complaining will get them to move it. I'd put money on that. You bought it even knowing it was there, right?

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
No amount of complaining will get them to move it. I'd put money on that. You bought it even knowing it was there, right?
It is our duty as consumers to provide feedback. Apple many choose to consider it or not, or give it whatever weight they wish to. I know now that discussing this in Apple Forum is a no-no. They deleted my post within 10 minutes, after suggesting that I provide feedback at Apple - Feedback instead.

Most of the "keep in pocket" folks prefer the jack at the bottom and I see their point-of-view. The "keep on the belt", "hold in my hand" and "prop it in a stand" crowds have been largely silent.
So be it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It is our duty as consumers to provide feedback.
Twaddle. The hardware decisions were made a long, long time ago and are not going to change until the next model, if ever. You're quixotic meme of "give 'em feedback - the'll change" is unrealistic if not surrealistic - and is a waste of your time, and ours blathering on about it here.

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I think it's important to voice your opinion. It probably won't be changed back :( so here's an opportunity: someone should make a case that plugs in to the phone at the bottom (phone jack or connector) but has its own phone jack at the top for those who want it. It would be a lil bulkier for that, but Im into looking for actual solutions for particular markets. I only care because I also use the phone in my cup holder with a cord, so Im happy that I won't be looking to replace my 4s till nxt year.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've actually come to like it at the bottom since cords don't get in my way. It's going to take some getting use to but I can agree. However, Apple probably will never change it back now that it's at the bottom. (I literally prayed that that rumor was false.)

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I don't expect feedback now to change anything for the next couple of device designs.
However, feedback from users is clearly being solicited by Apple. Otherwise they wouldn't have a web page devoted to that purpose.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't expect feedback now to change anything for the next couple of device designs.
However, feedback from users is clearly being solicited by Apple. Otherwise they wouldn't have a web page devoted to that purpose.

Since you are so in favor of feedback, here's mine for YOU: Point made. Move on.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Feedback is always important and valuable... but I can guarantee you that Apple didn't change the location of the headphone jack just to ruin your day. These products have been in design and prototype phases for years. They've taken a lot of tech and crammed it into a case that is thinner and lighter than anything they've done before. Design considerations have to play a part in putting stuff where they put it. Fortunately or unfortunately, it is what it is. But it's not something they can/will change overnight - if ever.

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
1. when the headphones are plugged in, you do not need to hold the phone next to your head. The headphones have a built in mic.
2. When having the phone propped up, the dock should handle the audio out issues. If it doesnt, then you bought a glorified lego phone stand. You can also have it landscape, because im assuming the ONLY time your going to need headphones with it propped up (to look at) is when your watching a movie, which is always landscape.
3. put it in the holster upside down, use wireless headphones/ headset, use your pocket.
4. horizontally this makes no sense whatsoever.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I ended up returning my iPhone 5. One of my main issues was exactly this. I just don't like the
headphone jack at the bottom. It was petty, but weighed in to my decision to return it. I can't
get used to it. I'm sure I'll still own an ip5 sometime in the near future, though. It wasn't my only
reason for returning it.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Just curious. Has the "jack on the bottom" idea been patented by Apple? I'm not looking forward to a lawsuit, if i get a Samsung.Ha, ha.:rolleyes:

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
1. when the headphones are plugged in, you do not need to hold the phone next to your head. The headphones have a built in mic.
2. When having the phone propped up, the dock should handle the audio out issues. If it doesnt, then you bought a glorified lego phone stand. You can also have it landscape, because im assuming the ONLY time your going to need headphones with it propped up (to look at) is when your watching a movie, which is always landscape.
3. put it in the holster upside down, use wireless headphones/ headset, use your pocket.
4. horizontally this makes no sense whatsoever.

This.

Gawain

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Possible good reasons: they couldn't fit it in with all the other parts and maintain the thinness, or locate the antennae for best signal propagation... Apple did not make the change lightly... and Johnny Ive may beg to differ with you on your reasons not to move it. He's no dummy.

Would that be the same Johnny Ive that said Apple wasn't in it to make money? :p Just ribbing you. I don't have much of an issue with where the headphone jack is. My issues are more with iOS 6 rather than the hardware.

StephenBB81

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
For me top or bottom doesn't matter so long as it is one either the top or the bottom

I don't often listen to music on my iPhone, but I very much appreicate the headphone jack placement in line with portrait mode, I hate that my BlackBerry 9790 has the headphone jack on the side, when it is in my shirt pocket, or in my running sleeve the side mounted jack sucks, top or bottom the rare times I need it, the orientation doesn't matter I just place the device in my pocket keeping the jack facing up.

having the cable on the bottom I can see an argument for having the headphone jack there as well so that all cables are coming out of the device at the same side, if your car doesn't have Music syncing through USB or Bluetooth then needing the audio out jack and the charge port at the same place makes wires less messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen