Why the jack should be on the top

Status
Not open for further replies.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Why the jack should be on the top:

• When you hold the phone, there usually (not always, usually) is a finger or part of the palm supporting the bottom of the phone. The headphone plugged there interferes with this. The top of the phone is free.
  • When you have the phone propped on a table, either in a charger stand or against a book etc., the top of the phone is free while a headphone plugged into the bottom interferes with the propped up phone.
  • When you carry the phone in a holster, hanging vertically off the belt, the top is more accessible than the bottom.
  • When you carry the phone in a holster, hanging horizontally off the belt, the top of the phone is usually forward and the top is more accessible than the bottom.

Why the jack should be on the bottom:

?? I can't think of any reason ??
Saying that the iPods do this is not good enough. The iPods should have the jacks on top as well.

If you agree, please provide feedback to Apple at
Apple - Feedback

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Possible good reasons: they couldn't fit it in with all the other parts and maintain the thinness, or locate the antennae for best signal propagation... Apple did not make the change lightly... and Johnny Ive may beg to differ with you on your reasons not to move it. He's no dummy.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I was skeptical about the top too but for me the bottom makes more sense. Most times when I'm listening to music with headphones is at the gym. When the jack on the bottom it's so much better when the device going in and out of my pocket. But I understand that's not the case for everyone and definitely doesn't make since for all. And I'm not sure how important it is for the phone should fit in a holster. But I am sure they didn't make these changes without realt considering the ramifications of it.

But to me it's a small compromise considering the big picture.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I can understand how issues related to internal packaging of components could force Apple's design choices. But Ive will have to explain if this was based on usability.

Clearly, not being able to prop up the iPhone on my desk is not a good thing. And holding the phone in my hands also has the headphone jack/wires touching the lower part of my palms.

Maybe Ive should include a "hold it properly" guide, like Jobs had to do when the "antenna issue" was an issue. :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I can understand how issues related to internal packaging of components could force Apple's design choices. But Ive will have to explain if this was based on usability.

I suggest that you find something to keep you busy while you're waiting for Ive's call... He may not have much free time for a few days/weeks/months/years. #justsaying

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Personally I don't use a holster (and I wager most people don't either). I like it on the bottom since I always slip it in and out of my pocket while listening to audio/talking on the phone.

That said, I use my pinky fingers naturally to rest the phone on while typing or reading and plugged in headphones always get in the way. It's strange though, if it were on the right side of the bottom it wouldn't bother me, since my fingers never cover up that area=/

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
For me the bottom makes so much more sense, mainly because of the pocketing issue: when I slide my phone in its always top down, which lets the headphone wires enter/exit my pocket easily. 95% of my headphone use is when my phone is in my pocket, and before the 5 I always had to turn my phone the wrong way to keep it in my pocket with headphones plugged in.

I also don't have the propping issue?if I've got it propped in anything it's a dock, which generally has its own headphone out port. If I'm not using a dock I don't prop up my phone, I just lay it flat.

Lastly, if you're using the headset as a shutter release for taking photos it's nice to have the dangling wire away from the camera lens.

(And I'm no longer paranoid about a falling raindrop going into my headphone jack!)

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
As for people putting the phone in their pocket: I suspect that they'll orient the phone however so that the jack is on top. For 4s, that meant the phone top was on top (which is more natural way of placing the phone in my pocket). For i5, they'll rotate the phone so that the phone is upside down. The holding, propping and holster (including any horizontal case) still favor the jack on the top.

I clearly have to get used to it (as Ive is not going to explain anytime soon :) I am curious about how thier usability study panned out. I'm betting that it was a internal packaging/antennae placement issue that made them do it.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
That's funny, so now the speakers the mic and the headphone jack are all in the same place.

I'll tell you something. Moving the headphone jack from top to bottom is solving an old problem. It's mostly because if you have the headphone cords up on the air, it ruins them. It's true. The headphones are actually supposed to be laying down.

gixxer07600

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I like the jack being at the bottom. The phone feels more secure in my hand with headphones plugged in. And like most people my phone sits in my pocket top down. A lot easier to pull the phone out with the jack on the bottom.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
As for people putting the phone in their pocket: I suspect that they'll orient the phone however so that the jack is on top. For 4s, that meant the phone top was on top (which is more natural way of placing the phone in my pocket). For i5, they'll rotate the phone so that the phone is upside down. The holding, propping and holster (including any horizontal case) still favor the jack on the top.

I clearly have to get used to it (as Ive is not going to explain anytime soon :) I am curious about how thier usability study panned out. I'm betting that it was a internal packaging/antennae placement issue that made them do it.

Actually if I'm holding the phone in my hand topside up when I put the phone in my pocket I instinctively rotate it clockwise. So this means for me that the top of the phone goes in first which makes the jack at the bottom better for me. Now everyone may not rotate their phone the same way. Maybe it's because I'm left handed. Not sure but it works for me. It doesn't work for you and I'm sure many others but it does work for some ;)

boweveljoe

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I think I could get used to it. I had an iPod touch since they first came out and quickly got used to it being at the bottom. Then I got a 4S and I had to make the adjustment of the jack being on the top of the phone. When you are holding the phone it makes sense to have it on the bottom because the cord is under the phone...now just about ever other situation it works better at the top.

It may take a bit of time but you will adjust. At least it doesnt plug into the side like a power cord did for my Blackberry. Talk about an inconvenient place for a cord to connect..

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
As for people putting the phone in their pocket: I suspect that they'll orient the phone however so that the jack is on top. For 4s, that meant the phone top was on top (which is more natural way of placing the phone in my pocket). For i5, they'll rotate the phone so that the phone is upside down.

I don't get this?it's FAR more natural to put the phone in top-down in a pocket. Just try it: hold your phone normally and then slide it into your pocket. If you want to have the bottom go in first you have to stop and rotate your device?and then rotate it back when you take it out.

To each their own but for me this is a welcome change that makes a lot if sense.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
To me it makes way more sense having the jack in the bottom. I put my iPhone in my pocket "head first". This puts the jack in the correct position. On previous iPhones I always found it backwards.

Who puts their iPhone "tail first" in their pockets? You're just packing lint in the speakers and dock/lightning port.

Doc Z

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Another "why didn't Apple do this" complaint. It just is the way it is, accept it and move on. I'm sure Apple engineers had their reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh