"Erase all data and settings" and Restore?

Skippy

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
Ello, I've kinda on a small level always wondered what the technical difference it is to perform either a "Erase data and settings" from the iPhone itself or to use iTunes option to restore the phone. Is it a difference? If yes, what?

Thanks in advance!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
They are "basically" the same. The main difference is when you're attached to a computer and using iTunes, it will download a fresh copy of iOS and reinstall it whereas the phone will just erase everything that wasn't a part of the install as well as reset all settings to default. At least that is my understanding. Both should give you the option to restore from a backup.

Skippy

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
But from a "cleaning" and erasing perspective, none of the options does it more efficient than the other?

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I would say restoring via iTunes cleans everything and installs a fresh copy from the computer. iPhone must have a partition which saves the installer to clean and install everything. I prefer the former but I suppose both work the same.

ces911

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I usually do a DFU. Do a search on google. How to do a DFU on iPhone. This basically is what techs do at apple. It removes the software off the phone and downloads fresh copy and installs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2