so the Apple store does not do cross upgrading..

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
after going back & forth with AT&T and a couple of Apple stores today it is apparent they do not do cross upgrading. i have AT&T and 5 lines; i am wanting to use an upgrade from another line but put the hardware on my line

it was funny because one Apple store employee says "sir, we handle carrier accounts just as if you were to walk into an AT&T store" ... but they cannot do cross upgrading :confused:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish, BLiNK. I pre-ordered an iPhone 5 (from Apple) for myself using my daughter's line. There were no problems there. But the phone came with a SIM for her line and I had to go to an AT&T store to get that sorted out. (New nano SIM for my line, new micro SIM for hers.)

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish, BLiNK. I pre-ordered an iPhone 5 (from Apple) for myself using my daughter's line. There were no problems there. But the phone came with a SIM for her line and I had to go to an AT&T store to get that sorted out. (New nano SIM for my line, new micro SIM for hers.)

That is exactly what he doesn't want to do. The apple store should be able to handle this.
Heck they did it at Target for me yesterday.
I used my wife's upgrade, they put my # on the iPhone 5 sim and gave me a new activated sim for her 4s, all in 20 minutes.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That is exactly what he doesn't want to do. The apple store should be able to handle this.
I used my wife's upgrade, they put my # on the iPhone 5 sim and gave me a new activated sim for her 4s, all in 20 minutes.

I had been told by an Apple Genius that the only SIMS they have are the ones in the phones. If you need a new SIM for any reason, you have to go to the provider's location. We had an iPhone 4 that kept rejecting the SIM ("Bad SIM")... and the Apple store didn't have SIMs... 5 minutes in AT&T and we were good to go. But it is an extra trip/stop.

There may have been a way to have done what I originally wanted with the iPhone 5 at the time I preordered it, but it honestly wasn't a big deal to me - more interested in getting the phone first and willing to sort out the details later.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

i called AT&T and they told me to NOT have Apple activate the device and to call them after i leave the store to do the cross upgrade properly

the Apple store told me that they HAVE to activate the device before it can leave the store. which by doing this i will have to add a data plan to a line that never had one and never intended either

what a cluster...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i called AT&T and they told me to NOT have Apple activate the device and to call them after i leave the store to do the cross upgrade properly

the Apple store told me that they HAVE to activate the device before it can leave the store. which by doing this i will have to add a data plan to a line that never had one and never intended either

what a cluster...

That sucks. I did the preorder and they shipped the phone out, with a new, yet-to-be-activated SIM. Wow, that's just plain wrong.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Yeah same thing happened to me. Bought at apple and then took them to ATT to get the upgrade swap done.

just curious, did you upgrade lines that did not have data plans previous to the purchase(s)? if so, what happened with the lines you used (prorate etc..)

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

what a cluster...

That sucks ! For a company that prides itself on making products intuitive and easy to use, they make this process so difficult. Can't they just get some SIM cards from AT&T ? It surely didn't seem so difficult at Target. And yes I know they are not truly a mobile phone store, but they do sell them, so they should be prepared for issues like this.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I would just make sure an AT&T corporate store has the nano sims in advance. Then once I get my shiit from the Apple Store,
I'd just go to the AT&T store and ask them for a nano sim. I wouldn't even try to deal with anything else than that.

haxrnick

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
just curious, did you upgrade lines that did not have data plans previous to the purchase(s)? if so, what happened with the lines you used (prorate etc..)

No we opened 2 lines for relatives to use and put the new 5's on our lines and put our 4S's on their lines.

---------- Post Merged at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:25 PM ----------

No we opened 2 lines for relatives to use and put the new 5's on our lines and put our 4S's on their lines.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That sucks ! For a company that prides itself on making products intuitive and easy to use, they make this process so difficult. Can't they just get some SIM cards from AT&T ? It surely didn't seem so difficult at Target. And yes I know they are not truly a mobile phone store, but they do sell them, so they should be prepared for issues like this.

They aren't a phone company. Apples involvement is only about getting you a device and activating it. Switching devices around on accounts and switching account information is not their support. All users need to do is get the phone on the line that has the upgrade and then call AT&T or go to a store and use then switch it. Not really that hard.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
the plot thickens..

just for fun i called another Apple store, not to far from where i typically go, and they told me that they CAN do cross upgrades. however, the line that i use for the upgrade can be inactive for up to 24 hours

i am starting to remember what is what like to deal with Sprint's customer service SMH

---------- Post Merged at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:36 PM ----------

the plot thickens..

just for fun i called another Apple store, not to far from where i typically go, and they told me that they CAN do cross upgrades. however, the line that i use for the upgrade can be inactive for up to 24 hours

i am starting to remember what is what like to deal with Sprint's customer service SMH

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
They aren't a phone company. Apples involvement is only about getting you a device and activating it. Switching devices around on accounts and switching account information is not their support. All users need to do is get the phone on the line that has the upgrade and then call AT&T or go to a store and use then switch it. Not really that hard.

All I'm saying is that if you are going to do something, do it right and be prepared, not that hard to get some SIM cards and have a "genius" set it up. It beats making an extra trip to an AT&T store if there is not one nearby.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Blink it probably has to do with the fact that they don't sell Factory unlocked at the stores anymore. Well over here that's the case I'm not sure if it is over there. So according to what I heard from an Genius here all the phones get to Apple unlocked and they must, by the rules, lock it to a carrier before it gets out the door. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but it sounds like it. Hope you figure it out man :)

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Blink it probably has to do with the fact that they don't sell Factory unlocked at the stores anymore. Well over here that's the case I'm not sure if it is over there. So according to what I heard from an Genius here all the phones get to Apple unlocked and they must, by the rules, lock it to a carrier before it gets out the door. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but it sounds like it. Hope you figure it out man :)

When did this start? In May I went to the Apple store here in Houston, walked in and walked out with a factory unlocked iPhone 4S (GSM of course). It wasn't opened or anything. How did I know for sure it was unlocked? The bottom of the box. On carrier locked GSM Phones, there is an ICCID at the bottom below the serial number. Factory unlocked? No ICCID number exists on the box.

BrennB

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
As far as iphone 5 sims go... I was with sprint, porting to vzw.. phone picked up at apple store (ordered at 10pm) had the sim asigned to a brand new number but apple didn't turn it on or anything I was told to take the box to vzw to set it up with my port.. I get to vzw and they can't even activate to swap (some problem with original new number on apple order)... I had to hoof it back to apple to get the clean sim as vzw doesn't have any... then back to vzw to do the port... so the back and forth is probably inevitble.. I know not the same situation but just regarding who has the sims and who can do what...

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
As far as iphone 5 sims go... I was with sprint, porting to vzw.. phone picked up at apple store (ordered at 10pm) had the sim asigned to a brand new number but apple didn't turn it on or anything I was told to take the box to vzw to set it up with my port.. I get to vzw and they can't even activate to swap (some problem with original new number on apple order)... I had to hoof it back to apple to get the clean sim as vzw doesn't have any... then back to vzw to do the port... so the back and forth is probably inevitble.. I know not the same situation but just regarding who has the sims and who can do what...

Exactly, just get some freakin' sims would ya ?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR