iPhone 5...iOS6...and Siri still sucks

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Anyone that takes a crack at Siri is not being a troll. It still doesn't "work". It functions (sometimes) but its still nowhere near it needs to be. I was excited about it when I got my 4S but I stopped using it completely after about 2 months. People would tell me it timed out all of the time because I have Sprint and their network sucks. But friends and coworkers with Verizon and ATT had the same issues.

Siri, like maps, still has a ways to go.

Voice dictation on the other hand works amazingly well.

It's one thing to offer a cogent argument... throwing out an ad hominem "We all know.. Siri sucks" is anything but cogent and can rightfully be labeled as trolling.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
We are invested into Apple too much already to back down now.

If we aren't satisfied, we'll say it. Then come up with a conclusion.

I don't know what you do, but we only accept the best. You don't have to come to these topics.

Droidrage729

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I am a die hard android user the iPhone 5 is my first iPhone . I am very pleased with the device. My prior device is a galaxy nexus which was also a good device. This device may not be for everyone we all have different needs. But if anyone says the camera or screen on this device sucks the. They are lying or haven't used the device. Battery life is also awesome

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
We are invested into Apple too much already to back down now.

If we aren't satisfied, we'll say it. Then come up with a conclusion.

I don't know what you do, but we only accept the best. You don't have to come to these topics.

Nor do you. :p

My Navigation needs are primarily met with my Garmin Nuvi... and I back that up with Navigon... so I have the best in mapping solutions in my opinion.

md17

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok...well sorry my poor choice of verbage created this immense amount of rage...what I was really asking for is some help/tips that any loyal and always helpful imore forums posters would be able to offer to make Siri work alittle bit better than it does...and for the record, everyone I have talked to has had serious issues with Siri's response time as well as it not even working. I went through 6 iphones and a carrier switch, from VZW to ATT to try and get better signal coverage, and now that i am on ATT 4g with the cream of the crop device, IP5 and ios6, siri for me still sucks.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
the good thing is you have 3 more weeks to take it back. IF you truly are dissatisfied then i urge you to do it and find something you do enjoy. it's your money man

md17

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to take it back. I'm in love with everything else about the iPhone and iOS 6. I just want Siri to work. I'm sick of switching phones.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Siri's response time is an issue. First you ask to send a text. After you dictate what you want to say.

Then...

siri.jpg

You could be sitting there for 10 minutes, then it'll say:

Sorry, I didn't get that. Could you try it again?

Sometimes it goes into a loop.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
...siri for me still sucks.

Give specific examples of searches you've done that "Suck"... you're not going to get much if you say "hungry" at Siri vs. saying "find a nearby pizza place"... much of the time, people that say Siri sucks are just inputting poor queries. Garbage in - Garbage out applies to Siri.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes Siri is hard of hearing...

SIRI
What do you want to say to Kenneth?

ME
"I'm walking to the front right now. The 520 building."

SIRI
I've updated your message.

Ingadogihsdagoidhgwdoghiwndghoafnha

Ready to send it?

Can't they come up with a better algorithm I mean some of the stuff it hears doesn't even make sense.

md17

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
It's one thing to offer a cogent argument... throwing out an ad hominem "We all know.. Siri sucks" is anything but cogent and can rightfully be labeled as trolling.

I am very sorry, but my god already...you are taking it way out of hand...it was a comment about a phone's system not working well. I know people are super die hard iPhone fans, but its still only an electronic device, when looked at in the grand scheme of things.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I like Siri though. The only thing it was really good at was helping get me from point A to B. It's a good thing I don't have the iPhone 5, because it still works on iOS5. You know, before losing all the functionality.

Whenever I want to go somewhere I just ask, and that works every time.

md17

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Siri, Launch Pandora.....45 seconds later...sorry I am unable to take your request at this time try again later.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Metrion (or motolo or whatever name you have) it's surprising to me that you haven't signed into your alter-ego lately to add more useless drivel.

md17...putting aside the first post, honestly, i don't know what to tell you about Siri, you describe what sounds like a consistent connection issue with Siri, I've personally never experienced that, in fact, aside from when the couple of widespread outages with her happened, she's worked perfectly 99.99999999% of the time (with the occasional hiccup of picking the wrong word in dictation or not quite understand what i was asking...especially if i ask really fast).

Maybe you have a faulty handset, maybe you're in a funky network area where the carrier signal isn't consistent...it's hard to tell, and since Siri relies completely on network (and server) efficiency to function properly, this is probably the best bet for why you're getting bad performance (that is if the phone itself is fine). You said you're using the 4G network on the iPhone 5, that tells me you're in a smaller market coverage area, and that can very will be the culprit with your problems...you also said everyone you talked to had issues with Siri, are you speaking about locals? Perhaps that explains it even further, showing that your area's network is causing hiccups in Siri's performance. Everyone i know (and people ive just talked to) have loved Siri, use it often and don't have these consistent issues you're describing, not even close!

Literally, since day one of having the 4S, Siri has worked above and beyond what i expected out of it, and now with the iPhone 5, it's much quicker and more adaptive to what i ask...

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Metrion (or motolo or whatever name you have) it's surprising to me that you haven't signed into your alter-ego lately to add more useless drivel.

md17...putting aside the first post, honestly, i don't know what to tell you about Siri, you describe what sounds like a consistent connection issue with Siri, I've personally never experienced that, in fact, aside from when the couple of widespread outages with her happened, she's worked perfectly 99.99999999% of the time (with the occasional hiccup of picking the wrong word in dictation or not quite understand what i was asking...especially if i ask really fast).

Maybe you have a faulty handset, maybe you're in a funky network area where the carrier signal isn't consistent...it's hard to tell, and since Siri relies completely on network (and server) efficiency to function properly, this is probably the best bet for why you're getting bad performance (that is if the phone itself is fine). You said you're using the 4G network on the iPhone 5, that tells me you're in a smaller market coverage area, and that can very will be the culprit with your problems...you also said everyone you talked to had issues with Siri, are you speaking about locals? Perhaps that explains it even further, showing that your area's network is causing hiccups in Siri's performance. Everyone i know (and people ive just talked to) have loved Siri, use it often and don't have these consistent issues you're describing, not even close!

Literally, since day one of having the 4S, Siri has worked above and beyond what i expected out of it, and now with the iPhone 5, it's much quicker and more adaptive to what i ask...

I dare you to do a video post using Siri without any slip ups. It's so unreliable, I'd be amazed to see live footage of it doing what it's supposedly supposed to do.

md17

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
well thank you for the possible explanations...LTE should be hitting my area sooner and I am hoping that the outge I was having when I first got the 5 was just due to a server being overtaxed because everyone bought the 5 and switched to ios6...is this a possibility?

mtcowdog

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
This "Beta" comment seems to be something coming from the people that will never be satisfied with Siri...i still find it humorous.

As far as Siri being slow...I've only ever had problems with the software when the servers are down or I'm in poor reception or having network issues...when the network is up, Siri runs perfectly for me, and the network/server issues account for about .00000000001% of the time.

So apple released Siri as beta. I think that's a fact. They don't do things like that very often, and my Apple experience goes back to an Apple IIe. So somehow I am humorous because I had hoped that beta meant it would be improved after a year? I'm not quite getting the point here.

And I am happy to hear Siri works nearly perfectly for you. My experiences so far don't match that. I don't expect my experiences are universal. That might be true for your experiences too?

I do like sending a handsfree text and hope as Siri gets to know me (I assume that's what happens) things will improve. I also expect that my brutally slow Siri response times are partially due to the unfortunate fact that my iPhone 5 gets old phone modem speeds over wifi, unlike every other iOS device I use on the same networks. I'm hopeful for a software fix on this latter element.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm just wondering why Tim Cook put this version of Siri on his "profound list".

Or maybe he was referring to something later on down the line

idc

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh