Glad I'm not the only one. SIRI seems to be much quicker on my iphone5 vs 4s, it also is more accurate. Perhaps the new noise reduction has helped as well.

I find that at least Siri is working waaaaayyyy better with the iphone 5 than it did with my 4S. I didn't use it much when I ran iOS 6 beta on my 4S, but using Siri on my iP5, it's noticeably better than on iOS 5 with the 4S. I'm not sure if it's optimization from iOS 6, better (faster) hardware from iPhone 5, or a combination of both. But Siri is becoming more useful to me. Just my personal opinion.
    09-29-2012 11:58 PM
    Oh, yeah, the difference in Siri from 4S to 5 is definately noticeable. It's faster and more responsive. Definately noise reduction. I could tell.
    09-30-2012 12:21 AM
    OK here's the thing I quickly skimmed the thread. You never described precisely what problems you were having and asked for help. It makes it so much more easy if people have experienced or seen the problem to suggest a solution. What you did was generalize the problems and say iOS 6 and Siri sucks what can make it better. Perhaps by now you have stated the issues you've been having but by the looks of it you still haven't gotten any answers so I'm thinking no. So what are the specific problems? Siri wont launch your apps, Siri wont give you precise results, your battery drains really fast, your apps constantly crash. See these are actual quantifiable issues that are not vague. I know the web so this might sound condiscending but I promise I'm actually just trying to understand what problems you're having if they are actually fixable.
    Hey sorry for the delayed response. My issues I seem to constantly have are slow response times when asked to go simple things such as, "Siri text message...." Or directions to. Or google ... I speak clearly and slowly and I have no accent.

A few times it timed out and said I am sorry I can't take your request now try again later.

So now that the dust has settled due to my poor choice of wording for this topic, those are my real issues. I appreciate your detailed response.
    09-30-2012 08:46 PM
    Yes, Siri far from sucks. Having never used it before, I get the occasional slow response, but I am still amazed at the ease of hands free texting, appointment scheduling, and reminding I can do. It rarely every if ever gets words wrong and on LTE and Wi-fi the response is typically very fast.
    09-30-2012 09:46 PM
    Siri is growing on me. The response is getting faster and she is more accurately responding. That makes a world of difference. Also now that I understand the wifi issue I'm having (not alone), delays with Siri make much more sense. BTW, Here's a great article on Siri and movie reviews.
    Siri's strange movie reviews: it's tough being a robot | The Verge

Between scheduling, sports scores, typing-free texts, and now movie plot summaries, I am starting to really like Siri.
    10-03-2012 08:30 PM
    I like using Siri for setting alarms and reminders and the sports info been working ok for me. The movie info is good also. It's convenient for me to say to Siri "wake me up at 8am. On Tuesday morning I wanted to know who won the Monday night football game simple just ask Siri instead of looking it up online. Or Siri could have opened the NFL app. So Siri for me just makes things easier.
    10-03-2012 09:21 PM
    Hello...the above statement is true for me, most of the time. Has anyone done anything that optimizes it and makes it work better?

Just to clarify, as I have seemed to make a few individuals very very angry, I am not indicating that ip5 or ios6 suck, but rather mine and everyone I have talked to has had "sucky" experiances with Siri.

Also, what I was indicating, is after a new gen of iphone and another ios, I am shocked it does not perform better.
    I am not going to read through this thread to see if someone else stated this already, but if you think Siri sucks, spend 5 minutes with S Voice from Samsung. You will want to through the phone at the ground as hard as you can. Just stop and think for a second what is happening when you use Siri. It is first taking everything you said, sending it to a server, interpreting it, then doing what you asked, then sending you the response. That is freaking amazing, hands down. To quote Louis CK:if you think that is so bad, hang a few hub caps from some trees and start your own damn cell company. (That was the gist of his set)
    10-03-2012 11:19 PM
    Nor do you.

My Navigation needs are primarily met with my Garmin Nuvi... and I back that up with Navigon... so I have the best in mapping solutions in my opinion.
    Statements like this do nothing to advance the discussion. When you point out to Blackberry guys something simple as there's no Netflix app for BB, their first reply is always, "I'd rather watch it on my computer or a big screen TV." Or a couple years ago if you pointed out their browser sucks, the first thing you'd hear would be, "You can't browse on a small screen anyway, I'd rather use my netbook." These kinds of statements and statements like, "I have Navigon" don't address the issue, and honestly, sounds bad. It's basically "I don't have a problem, so you shouldn't either," and is really more ad hominem than an argument. The truth of the matter though, is that not everybody has the same experiences.

The fact of the matter is, and it is a fact, Siri isn't perfect. I speak mid-western English, no distinguishable accent whatsoever, and many times, Siri makes mistakes. Saying "in 2012" more often than not leads to "into thousand twelve." I also have many foreign friends, trying to get Siri to pick the right name is sometimes an exercise in futility. My solution was to give most of them nicknames. Siri also frequently times out, both on 3G and Wifi, and it can happen at home, at Starbucks, at work, anywhere. China is Apple's second largest market, and in a few years, it will probably be their largest market, yet Siri takes a very long time to respond and frequently times out. I don't know how many times I've heard "Siri is unavailable."

Ask Siri this, "Who's the National League batting champ of 2012?" Siri asks if you want a web search. Ask it this way, "Who has the highest batting average in the National League in 2012?" and it will come up with an answer. Siri should understand the former. The whole point of Siri is natural language. I can say similar things about movies and restaurants.Even something as simple as "what movies are playing near me?" I suspect a lot of dissatisfaction with Siri is from people who haven't learned the proper syntax to speak to Siri, but Siri is advertised as understanding natural language, and it should do a better job.Those ads with Zooey Deschanel and Samuel Jackson didn't help that situation.

However, even given all it's problems, I still find Siri VERY useful. I use it daily. I will never set calendar events, alarms, reminders the old way ever again. Texting and quick emails are great via Siri. Tweets are really natural via Siri. Facebook isn't significantly better for me, but that's because I almost always attach photos. Siri is a godsend when you have 200 apps and can't find the one you're looking for.

Does Siri deserve criticism. Yes it does, it is obviously, still a work in progress. It is however, a great tool and I can't imagine using a phone without Siri, or a similar "digital assistant." To ignore all criticism and simply state, "It works great for me" doesn't help anybody, least of all Apple. Apple should be made aware of problems with one of its flagship features. It doesn't help the user either, especially someone new to iPhone. Perhaps they just don't understand the syntax necessary, or they need to change their speech patterns, or perhaps they're expecting too much from Siri. Helping them understand the limits of Siri and how to get the most out of her is how you help the person.
    md17 and Sophos like this.
    10-04-2012 12:51 AM
    Statements like this do nothing to advance the discussion. When you point out to Blackberry guys something simple as there's no Netflix app for BB, their first reply is always, "I'd rather watch it on my computer or a big screen TV." Or a couple years ago if you pointed out their browser sucks, the first thing you'd hear would be, "You can't browse on a small screen anyway, I'd rather use my netbook." These kinds of statements and statements like, "I have Navigon" don't address the issue, and honestly, sounds bad. It's basically "I don't have a problem, so you shouldn't either," and is really more ad hominem than an argument. The truth of the matter though, is that not everybody has the same experiences.

The fact of the matter is, and it is a fact, Siri isn't perfect. I speak mid-western English, no distinguishable accent whatsoever, and many times, Siri makes mistakes. Saying "in 2012" more often than not leads to "into thousand twelve." I also have many foreign friends, trying to get Siri to pick the right name is sometimes an exercise in futility. My solution was to give most of them nicknames. Siri also frequently times out, both on 3G and Wifi, and it can happen at home, at Starbucks, at work, anywhere. China is Apple's second largest market, and in a few years, it will probably be their largest market, yet Siri takes a very long time to respond and frequently times out. I don't know how many times I've heard "Siri is unavailable."

Ask Siri this, "Who's the National League batting champ of 2012?" Siri asks if you want a web search. Ask it this way, "Who has the highest batting average in the National League in 2012?" and it will come up with an answer. Siri should understand the former. The whole point of Siri is natural language. I can say similar things about movies and restaurants.Even something as simple as "what movies are playing near me?" I suspect a lot of dissatisfaction with Siri is from people who haven't learned the proper syntax to speak to Siri, but Siri is advertised as understanding natural language, and it should do a better job.Those ads with Zooey Deschanel and Samuel Jackson didn't help that situation.

However, even given all it's problems, I still find Siri VERY useful. I use it daily. I will never set calendar events, alarms, reminders the old way ever again. Texting and quick emails are great via Siri. Tweets are really natural via Siri. Facebook isn't significantly better for me, but that's because I almost always attach photos. Siri is a godsend when you have 200 apps and can't find the one you're looking for.

Does Siri deserve criticism. Yes it does, it is obviously, still a work in progress. It is however, a great tool and I can't imagine using a phone without Siri, or a similar "digital assistant." To ignore all criticism and simply state, "It works great for me" doesn't help anybody, least of all Apple. Apple should be made aware of problems with one of its flagship features. It doesn't help the user either, especially someone new to iPhone. Perhaps they just don't understand the syntax necessary, or they need to change their speech patterns, or perhaps they're expecting too much from Siri. Helping them understand the limits of Siri and how to get the most out of her is how you help the person.
    Finally someone that didn't want to have me publicly stoned for identifying "her" issues. I am honestly a little disappointed with the forum right now and the fact that I would be scrutinized so harshly for bringing my concerns. My full time job is an EMT/ firefighter, a place where ALL scenarios are way worse than criticizing a phone. There are fellow Americans fighting in a San pit desert for our freedom right now and we got others over here ripping people's head off over a comment made one a phone.

ReAlize how lucky we are to be able to talk about a phone, but if you can't offer constructive feedback than shut up.
    Exxod likes this.
    10-04-2012 02:36 PM
    I find her to be absolutely hilarious. I was reading this article and tried it on my phone. Siri's strange movie reviews: it's tough being a robot | The Verge
    2001: A Space Odyssey one is absolutely hilarious.
    10-05-2012 02:21 PM
    Finally someone that didn't want to have me publicly stoned for identifying "her" issues. I am honestly a little disappointed with the forum right now and the fact that I would be scrutinized so harshly for bringing my concerns. My full time job is an EMT/ firefighter, a place where ALL scenarios are way worse than criticizing a phone. There are fellow Americans fighting in a San pit desert for our freedom right now and we got others over here ripping people's head off over a comment made one a phone.

ReAlize how lucky we are to be able to talk about a phone, but if you can't offer constructive feedback than shut up.
    No one's forcing you to read every comment, if you feel something isn't as constructive as you would like it to be (See: agreeing with you), skip over it, or ignore the user all together. Lucky to be able to talk about a phone? Come on...i work my *** off to be able to enjoy the things i have and do, there's really no "luck" about it outside of the luck that the person who birthed me didn't happen to live in a mud hut in the Amazon or something.

Your point about worse cases is so moot that it's almost humorous...you think your job (that you choose to do mind you) some how makes you a higher authority on what is important to banter about on an iPhone forum? LMAO...give me a break. A few minutes ago i had a guy who was bleeding out of his head from being smashed to the ground by a security guard in a social security building in the back of my patrol truck, awaiting a transfer vehicle to take him to jail while he told me he was going to find that security guards house and what not, my knee is a little sore where i had to wedge him into the truck because he was fighting against the door, right afterwards, I was debating the merits of Apple giving away lightning cord adaptors in another thread...whooptie f'n doo.
    10-05-2012 02:42 PM
    Running Siri on an iPhone 5 in iOS 6 with an LTE signal is spectacular. It's like it works as it were designed to work. Very fast -- I've found myself using it more and more.
    10-05-2012 02:48 PM
    Well then as an emergency medical professional, I would advise you ice your knee so you can continue to perform your duties as expected to preserve the security of the ones that are expecting it from you...and if you have to ask Siri for directions to the nearest hospital for the guy bleeding out...lets hope she can live up to the expectations to deliver info fast.
    10-05-2012 03:56 PM
    Well then as an emergency medical professional, I would advise you ice your knee so you can continue to perform your duties as expected to preserve the security of the ones that are expecting it from you...and if you have to ask Siri for directions to the nearest hospital for the guy bleeding out...lets hope she can live up to the expectations to deliver info fast.
    Thanks for the advice, Siri did give me the directions to an autozone though so i could get air fresheners because the guy was a bit smelly (and i asked her because of your comment just now, and im now taking the turn by turn directions. )
    10-05-2012 04:32 PM
    I have had the 5 for one hour and find it blazing fast.
    10-05-2012 04:51 PM
    Siri is very slow sometimes and even times out " sorry I can't take any request right now, please try again later" in my area. Then other times Siri is pretty fast. But tonight Siri on my friends 4s was faster but less accurate. So it's random and Siri performance changes on a day to day basis in my area on 4G wi fi is a bit better but still iffy at times. I hope I don't have a defective phone.
    10-06-2012 02:03 AM
    iPhone 5...iOS6...and Siri still sucks-ambulance.png
    md17 likes this.
    10-06-2012 04:40 AM
    Siri wasn't created for that. No one would honestly use Siri in a real emergency or time of need.

You'd die. So just casual use.
    10-06-2012 12:48 PM
    Siri wasn't created for that. No one would honestly use Siri in a real emergency or time of need.

You'd die. So just casual use.
    Apple is going to have to put that in their disclaimer for those who don't actually realize this.
    10-06-2012 01:27 PM
    Or they could ask like a normal human being and simply say "Call 911", which Siri does just fine.
    kch50428 and ThePinkChameleon like this.
    10-06-2012 02:00 PM
    Or they could ask like a normal human being and simply say "Call 911", which Siri does just fine.
    We can't have that kind of rational talk on this thread. Stop it. Stop it at once!!
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    10-06-2012 02:07 PM
    We can't have that kind of rational talk on this thread. Stop it. Stop it at once!!
    Sorry...you're right.

I mean why can't Siri understand a simple request like "Hey thurrr gurrrrl, you thank you can be callin's me some ambalances? Shiiiiiiiit...", it's ridiculous she can't understand that simple question, and i want to sell my iPhone 5 and burn down Apple because of it...
    kch50428 likes this.
    10-06-2012 03:47 PM
    911 is the police though, not the ambulance.
    10-06-2012 05:45 PM
    911 is the police though, not the ambulance.
    Are you that daft? Really?? Calling 911 will connect you to a dispatch center that can send whatever help is needed by the caller, be it police, fire, or emergency medical services.
    10-06-2012 05:55 PM
    Well that's true.
    10-06-2012 06:04 PM
98 1234