iPhone 5 unlocking itself in pocket?

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had this happen to me a couple of times. I will lock my phone (as I've always done since the original Iphone) and I will pull it out of my pocket and see that it's unlocked and an icon will be pushed. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how that could happen. You'd have to push the button on top and then slide the slider across the screen then push an icon... seems difficult/unlikely.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh its happened. I've had the iPhone since the original came out in 2007 and have gotten the new one every year. Not a big deal, just thought it was kind of strange.

iJeffrey

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
My wife's iPhone 5 is unlocking itself in her pocket, even with the passcode enabled. This is annoying but even more so her power drops from 70% to 40% for the 2-3 hours she is not using it and leaving it in her pocket. Additionally her Safari icon will move from the docked area and be placed randomly on another page. I have reviewed the phones settings and she does have one of the Accessibility features turned on. I have read on other forums that iOS 6 may have a bug, which may cause the iPhone to unlock itself in pocket. The recommended fix is to disable all Accessibility features, if one still desires to carry the phone in the pocket. The other common suggestion was to ensure that screen is facing outwards.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Set the passcode to come on immediately and shut off the phone with a quick press of the power button.

It is physical impossible for it to be accessed in her pocket.

Guaranteed.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Unless there is some problem with the phone itself or you have some setting to where the screen isn't locking properly (no clue what they might be honestly), like Tim said above, there is no way you are accidentally unlocking the phone without touching the screen where the lock bar comes up...the screen doesn't react to cloth like that, or any other "material" that isn't skin or something pretty much identical to it.

The only other variable that COULD be the culprit is the camera function, but even that requires a slide upwards (as hitting the button itself simply jiggles the screen implying that you're doing it wrong).

CandyBean

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
When I used to have an iPhone 4, it did that while I was in school and somehow, I called my friend who had a really loud ringback tone. My phone was in my pocket and I kept hearing music. It was a small discussion class in college so everyone heard it. I was thinking.. who the hell is that?! Didn't realize it was me until end of class. After that, I use a passcode on my phone and never unlocks by itself again.

mcwille117

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
I have the 5s and it is doing it to me on a regular basis. The worst is it will almost always dial out one of my recent call. If it doesn't do that than generally it just tries to dial a random number like you're just swiping the key pad. Pound and star included. My settings are auto lock 1 min and simple passcode and require passcode immediately. Only accessability feature I have on is led flash. I ALWAYS hit the top button to lock it when I put it in my pocket. It never happens with shorts only jeans

anon(9836705)

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
My wife's iPhone 5 is unlocking itself in her pocket, even with the passcode enabled. This is annoying but even more so her power drops from 70% to 40% for the 2-3 hours she is not using it and leaving it in her pocket. Additionally her Safari icon will move from the docked area and be placed randomly on another page. I have reviewed the phones settings and she does have one of the Accessibility features turned on. I have read on other forums that iOS 6 may have a bug, which may cause the iPhone to unlock itself in pocket. The recommended fix is to disable all Accessibility features, if one still desires to carry the phone in the pocket. The other common suggestion was to ensure that screen is facing outwards.

This happened to me the past few months. Always unlock itself while in my pocket, and my iPhone in high temperature that I can feel it from my pocket. I never feel that warm ever I play games or talk on phone for long hours. And Also ever saw it active Siri when on the table.
Is it some app running operate behind it, exactly like you said, some app will random shuffle to other page or different location on the page. (At first , I thought my mistake that delete some useful app)

Is it someone hacking my phone or tracking my location?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me the past few months. Always unlock itself while in my pocket, and my iPhone in high temperature that I can feel it from my pocket. I never feel that warm ever I play games or talk on phone for long hours. And Also ever saw it active Siri when on the table.
Is it some app running operate behind it, exactly like you said, some app will random shuffle to other page or different location on the page. (At first , I thought my mistake that delete some useful app)

Is it someone hacking my phone or tracking my location?

The post you replied to is 3? years old. What phone do you have? How old is it? Have you tried a hard reset?
Hold the top or side power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

If that doesn't work, you may need to restore your phone as new.

anon(9836705)

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Ya, Thanks . I knew this post from past 3yrs. Why I'm here today is bcos Im facing the same problem as this thread mentioned. How can I realize my phone was unlock in pocket, because it really heat up in my pocket. So I took it out and see the screen was unlock and sometime it run some app is running on screen or calling..

At the beginning, I was thinking that I didnt lock the screen and put into pocket, and I think it again n again so I give it a try. I ddint screen lock and put in my pocket then walk around, went to shopping do some shopping, check the phone after 20-30mins. U know what?
NOTHING HAPPENED!!! I didn't feel that heat. And non of the app was running on screen.

About the hard reset, pressing the on off button n home button for few sec, YES, I did it 2-3months ago. But it happened still last 10days. This is why Google bring me here today.

Anyway, thanks for your advise.

Steve Varela

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem since spring of 2016. The phone starts app's like Vuze, the camera, and siri occasionally. it is in my pocket and I also feel the heat, which is why I noticed it and of course, the battery is drained significantly.

Though some say it is impossible, it is happening for many, so there is something wrong (we all know that it shouldn't occur, but the fact is that it is occurring).

PLease share more experiences and complain in various forums to gain some attention to this. The cycling of the battery is causing the battery to fail quicker than it should.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem since spring of 2016. The phone starts app's like Vuze, the camera, and siri occasionally. it is in my pocket and I also feel the heat, which is why I noticed it and of course, the battery is drained significantly.

Though some say it is impossible, it is happening for many, so there is something wrong (we all know that it shouldn't occur, but the fact is that it is occurring).

PLease share more experiences and complain in various forums to gain some attention to this. The cycling of the battery is causing the battery to fail quicker than it should.

What is Vuze?

anon(10031500)

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I've been having the same problem with my iPhone 5s for a few months now. Somehow the phone starts videoing in my jeans pocket. Sometimes it gets so hot I can't hold it. I have spoken to Apple and they suggest placing feedback via their official site at Feedback - iPhone - Apple . This way the issue gets to the right people and not just passed around forums.
Mine also does this in my jeans pocket and nowhere else. One suggestion has been that it may only happen because we put the phone into our pocket upside-down. I'm going to try putting g it in with the power button at the top and see what happens.
In the meantime please use the link above to get the word out to Apple.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I've been having the same problem with my iPhone 5s for a few months now. Somehow the phone starts videoing in my jeans pocket. Sometimes it gets so hot I can't hold it. I have spoken to Apple and they suggest placing feedback via their official site at Feedback - iPhone - Apple . This way the issue gets to the right people and not just passed around forums.
Mine also does this in my jeans pocket and nowhere else. One suggestion has been that it may only happen because we put the phone into our pocket upside-down. I'm going to try putting g it in with the power button at the top and see what happens.
In the meantime please use the link above to get the word out to Apple.

I have an iPhone 5S and have not experienced this at all.

Manchester Patriots

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
I was wondering if am the only one' because everyone is so proud of their phone.
Same thing happened to me, my phone unlocked itself in my pocket, some time after use it remains open until I caught it.
and early in the mornings when I wake up my phone is unlocked.
Have been nothing this problem since the government find ways to access iPhones.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner