It's happening!...

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to tell everybody who are tired to hear just how good the Samsung GSIII is and how it will outsale the iPhone 5 (haha!) or prove to be a very popular device. I don't dislike the device - but if the owner can just keep himself to compare with mine and brag about features, I'll keep my end of the bargain and shut the hell up about how crappy those really are.

Received a communication just now from the carrier I work for. Anytime soon the 16GB version will be 0$ on contract, 32GB following at 50$! Of course for a very limited time, but still... I guess other carriers will follow - or already did it perhaps. I stated a couple of times just how much Samsung devices had no value as a product, past the three first months. I stated they would give the GSIII by the end of one year at most. Well it looks like I was totally wrong on the timeline... :D In a year it won't be free, it'll be forgotten... We'll still hear from people trying to jailbreak a 3GS or something, though...

Sorry, just venting off...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just because a product is on sale or its price is being reduce don't means its not selling all the time..

6 months from now - a GSIII will be worth what on the open market vs. when new?? And 6 months from now, how much will an iPhone5 be worth on the open market compared to when new?

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I hate all the controversy/drama surrounding Samsung and Apple right now. As far as Samsung devices being useless after a few months, I dont necessarily agree with that. I believe they really do have some decent products on the market. I absolutely do not agree with the marketing strategy that they have chosen though. That last commercial "It Doesnt Take A Genius" is actually very demeaning and offensive to apple consumers. I dont know why Samsung thinks its a good idea to try and bully people into wanting something they make. At any rate, you're right. Droid devices in general do not have near the lifespan of Apple products.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy S III is a fine phone, but let's be honest...it's on sale because sales of the thing took a nose dive. That doesn't take anything away from the phone itself, it's just not the big thing right now, the iPhone 5 is. I'm sure when the Nokia Lumia 920 comes out, a decline of some sort will come in the iPhone 5's numbers. The GSIII is approaching 6 months old, and it's almost time for a new model so it's not a surprise the prices have been dropped.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Just because a product is on sale or its price is being reduce don't means its not selling all the time..

No it means that sales have declined and you are trying to increase the numbers by lowering price. That's business/econ 101 right now

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy S III is a fine phone, but let's be honest...it's on sale because sales of the thing took a nose dive. That doesn't take anything away from the phone itself, it's just not the big thing right now, the iPhone 5 is. I'm sure when the Nokia Lumia 920 comes out, a decline of some sort will come in the iPhone 5's numbers. The GSIII is approaching 6 months old, and it's almost time for a new model so it's not a surprise the prices have been dropped.

No surprise, you're right! Six months gives a better perspective, but here in Quebec the phone was only available in June. I don't know about how others feel, but I as a consumer would not like to see that. It's not really the price that matters, but the principle. Was I buying what was presented to me as the newest, best, most advanced smartphone on the planet, or something that the company itself would render outdated in a matter of seconds. You really have to love development to gladly invest 200$ of your money and a contract on a phone which only real lifespan will have been the amount of profits the company could make out of it to design and sell better phones... JMHO.

---------- Post Merged at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:18 PM ----------

how much is it? i may pick one up tonight..

DON'T do that... Give me the gun... step away from the window... drop the morphine excess dosage... burn that rope and tabouret... :D

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No surprise, you're right! Six months gives a better perspective, but here in Quebec the phone was only available in June. I don't know about how others feel, but I as a consumer would not like to see that. It's not really the price that matters, but the principle. Was I buying what was presented to me as the newest, best, most advanced smartphone on the planet, or something that the company itself would render outdated in a matter of seconds. You really have to love development to gladly invest 200$ of your money and a contract on a phone which only real lifespan will have been the amount of profits the company could make out of it to design and sell better phones... JMHO.

Apple does the same thing, albeit right when the next variation is about to be released. The 4S and 4 both dropped before the 5's release quite substantially, because they knew the numbers just weren't going to be there with the new phone coming out. This is the same thing Samsung is experiencing honestly, and i don't think it reflects poorly on them, they're trying to make money after all, these are all businesses and they're #1 goal when it comes down to it is profit margins (Apple just happens to hold it's customers more closely to their hearts so that their profits tend to be higher from loyalty at least).

Take BMW for instance, they recently dropped the pricing for the E92 chassis M3 because the newer CL coupes are coming out (and the next generation M3 is on the horizon), this doesn't mean BMW is trying to trick you into buying last years M3, they're just trying to move them when the market is cold'ish.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Apple does the same thing, albeit right when the next variation is about to be released. The 4S and 4 both dropped before the 5's release quite substantially, because they knew the numbers just weren't going to be there with the new phone coming out. This is the same thing Samsung is experiencing honestly, and i don't think it reflects poorly on them, they're trying to make money after all, these are all businesses and they're #1 goal when it comes down to it is profit margins (Apple just happens to hold it's customers more closely to their hearts so that their profits tend to be higher from loyalty at least).

Take BMW for instance, they recently dropped the pricing for the E92 chassis M3 because the newer CL coupes are coming out (and the next generation M3 is on the horizon), this doesn't mean BMW is trying to trick you into buying last years M3, they're just trying to move them when the market is cold'ish.

I know the business principle you're trying to explain here, but still the next GS is in six months. Of course it has to drop in price at one point, but for such a device, that point should be when the next GS is about to be out... not six months before! Perhaps my comments are to be read in the context of Samsung's marketing on the GSIII. People who bought it really thought they were buying the last word in smartphone at least for a year, and even a good contender for yet another year. Just like when they buy an iPhone. Of course it's rarely the hardware that makes the iPhone value last longer, but the fact that the software will be updated to the newest, and will most likely support 95% of the functions. Another thing to consider is : it's the iPhone 4 that's now free...

In all logic I agree with you, Sean, and as you pointed out probably it shouldn't reflect badly on Samsung... Technology is always evolving, we as consumers must be aware that the best today will be old news tomorrow... So I guess my point would be more that it reflects well on Apple. When I pay the launch price, I know I won't see it going along for free in a couple of months, and I think this is saying something.

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Carriers want the androids to sell, because they can put crapware on the devices.

apple won't let them do that. so They sell the iphone grudgingly, while trying to get people to adopt android.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple certainly holds value well (during it's production run or after the next variant comes out) better than any other cell phone manufacturer...no argument there, which is why i haven't paid more than a few bucks every year for the new iPhone when it comes out and i sell my old one to someone, lol. :)

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Apple certainly holds value well (during it's production run or after the next variant comes out) better than any other cell phone manufacturer...no argument there, which is why i haven't paid more than a few bucks every year for the new iPhone when it comes out and i sell my old one to someone, lol. :)

Agreed. I bought a galaxy s3 full retail when it first hit Verizon. 2 months later the device was on the market for 350-500 for a 32gb. And this wasn't just a couple sellers. This was eBay, swappa, Craigslist, etc. The overall value just dropped. And that's usually the case with all androids because there's always a better one a couple months away.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Yet again... precisely! :)

---------- Post Merged at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Agreed. I bought a galaxy s3 full retail when it first hit Verizon. 2 months later the device was on the market for 350-500 for a 32gb. And this wasn't just a couple sellers. This was eBay, swappa, Craigslist, etc. The overall value just dropped. And that's usually the case with all androids because there's always a better one a couple months away.

True... and even at those prices the sellers have a more difficult time to sell it than any 4S seller at 400$...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

That's why I love apple I made 120 bucks by upgrading from a 4s to a 5 lol

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the apple products do have a much longer lifespan. I mean apple always makes their upgrades available to prior models at least for a few models back. As far as android goes you never if or when your device will get a upgrade.

---------- Post Merged at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:18 PM ----------

I agree that the apple products do have a much longer lifespan. I mean apple always makes their upgrades available to prior models at least for a few models back. As far as android goes you never if or when your device will get a upgrade.

rockerchick

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Droid devices will not last for six months as far as software is concerned. I had it happen to me. If you go to the formerly known as Android market many apps are broken for certain android devices. Not to mention the fact that the carriers, and manufacturer as well as google need to pull their heads out of their butts when it comes to actual software updates on phones. My amazing original EVO was stuck on gingerbread even though it had a 1GHz processor. Dafuq? That is awful. There were 16 updates some minor and major and my phone couldn't get one and it was less than a year old. For this reason alone I would never go back to android! There are many others but I'll spare you.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yet again... precisely! :)

---------- Post Merged at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:03 PM ----------

True... and even at those prices the sellers have a more difficult time to sell it than any 4S seller at 400$...

Yes. I was glad I found someone with a 4s that wanted to trade.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73