It's happening!...

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely do not agree with the marketing strategy that they have chosen though. That last commercial "It Doesnt Take A Genius" is actually very demeaning and offensive to apple consumers. I dont know why Samsung thinks its a good idea to try and bully people into wanting something they make.

I was thinking the same thing. Those commercials are quite rude. I especially hate the one where they show that stupid press the phone together whatever it does crap, that's not going to win me over Samsung but nice try.

I'm not going to go stand in a huge line or camp out to get an iPhone but
they act like the people that do don't know about an s3. Like its some big secret that Apple fans aren't aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
But those commercials have you talking about Samsung...they are in your head now. The marketing worked. Just like all the launch hype over the new iPhone and the commercials have me and many others considering getting the new iPhone. Is it pathetic to let marketing sway my decision? Of course it is, I know how to make up my own mind. But if marketing didn't have an effect, nobody, including Apple, one of the greatest marketing companies in the world, would bother doing it.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
But those commercials have you talking about Samsung...they are in your head now. The marketing worked. Just like all the launch hype over the new iPhone and the commercials have me considering getting the new iPhone.

Yes and no. It has many thinking abut them but also in a negative way. How many commercials do we see where apple even implies that its talking about another company's device? When companies do that they insult the customers they want. It's like when RIM did the whole "wake up" thing a few months ago. So if people buy apple you are stupid and a zombie BUT of you buy RIM or Samsung you're somehow "waking" up or smarter. Come on now. It's just desperate attempts to have the same following that apple has. Samsung doesn't have the same following. Android does. Android users will jump to the newest one regardless if Samsung or htc or moto makes it.

They need to do more commercials on what their product does and not insult the user base of another. Something other than taking pictures.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes and no. It has many thinking abut them but also in a negative way. How many commercials do we see where apple even implies that its talking about another company's device? When companies do that they insult the customers they want. It's like when RIM did the whole "wake up" thing a few months ago. So if people buy apple you are stupid and a zombie BUT of you buy RIM or Samsung you're somehow "waking" up or smarter. Come on now. It's just desperate attempts to have the same following that apple has. Samsung doesn't have the same following. Android does. Android users will jump to the newest one regardless if Samsung or htc or moto makes it.

They need to do more commercials on what their product does and not insult the user base of another. Something other than taking pictures.

I think the commercial making fun of Apple users are stupid commercials. Samsung has made plenty of commercials pointing out what their devices can do, but I get the sense they have some bitterness right now after the lawsuit that they feel they can express in their marketing. Insulting? Yes. Does Samsung care? Obviously not. The new "Thumb" Apple commercial is ridiculous and actually goes against common sense (my coworker's hand is huge, he could care less about using a small 4" screen, it makes no sense at all for him, and million of others like him with different size hands who can handle larger devices with one hand no problem). But it is good marketing, because now everyone will be thinking about that concept.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People have to understand, companies who's products don't sell themselves as well as the leader need this strategy to get higher numbers. It happens all the time in the automotive world...you'll never see a BMW add blasting on another company because they don't care about the other company, their cars sell amazingly because people WANT them...then you'll turn around and see Audi blasting BMW to try and move their new model (which they wont as well as BMW does for the most part), they'll throw mud at BMW trying to convince the consumer that the Audi is better and they'd be foolish to buy a BMW...while BMW has customers flocking to their dealerships to buy a car they want and love, giving no truly legitimate thoughts to the Audi.

It's called desperation...something I'm sure Samsung is feeling heavily right now with the success (thus far) of the iPhone 5 and the numbers it put up so quickly. That doesn't mean their product is terrible, just like I'm sure an Audi is a fine automobile...but the company has to drop to that lower level to try that proverbial "hail mary" pass to score, and 99% of the time, it doesn't really do much in the way of improving their situation, even if they move a few more products.

Apple isn't a desperate company...one of the reasons i like them so much.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
People have to understand, companies who's products don't sell themselves as well as the leader need this strategy to get higher numbers. It happens all the time in the automotive world...you'll never see a BMW add blasting on another company because they don't care about the other company, their cars sell amazingly because people WANT them...then you'll turn around and see Audi blasting BMW to try and move their new model (which they wont as well as BMW does for the most part), they'll throw mud at BMW trying to convince the consumer that the Audi is better and they'd be foolish to buy a BMW...while BMW has customers flocking to their dealerships to buy a car they want and love, giving no truly legitimate thoughts to the Audi.

It's called desperation...something I'm sure Samsung is feeling heavily right now with the success (thus far) of the iPhone 5 and the numbers it put up so quickly. That doesn't mean their product is terrible, just like I'm sure an Audi is a fine automobile...but the company has to drop to that lower level to try that proverbial "hail mary" pass to score, and 99% of the time, it doesn't really do much in the way of improving their situation, even if they move a few more products.

Apple isn't a desperate company...one of the reasons i like them so much.

Totally agree. Although I'm not sure Samsung is feeling desperate, just vengeful! Samsung makes tons and tons of $$ from stuff other than phones. I think with Samsung it's more "personal" now, so to speak. Even HTC and Motorola don't compare themselves to Apple or even other Android phone mfgs. Samsung has a chip on their shoulder right now for sure.

Apple may not be a desperate company at the moment, but they certainly were at one point, and could be again. The tech world is very fickle, and ever-changing.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think the commercial making fun of Apple users are stupid commercials. Samsung has made plenty of commercials pointing out what their devices can do, but I get the sense they have some bitterness right now after the lawsuit that they feel they can express in their marketing. Insulting? Yes. Does Samsung care? Obviously not. The new "Thumb" Apple commercial is ridiculous and actually goes against common sense (my coworker's hand is huge, he could care less about using a small 4" screen, it makes no sense at all for him, and million of others like him with different size hands who can handle larger devices with one hand no problem). But it is good marketing, because now everyone will be thinking about that concept.

I agree. But I'd bet if you ask 10 "normal" users that aren't into tech products like that about what they remember about Samsung/apple commercials it won't be about screen size. It'll be about the FaceTime, camera, and the ones where Samsung pokes fun. That other stuff is overlooked. And that's exactly why I'm saying Samsung should focus more on their product just like apple does. That's all I'm saying. Like Sean said above the company that doesn't even talk about the others comes out looking even better because they don't lower themselves to petty marketing campaigns and just focus on getting people's attention with their products, all the time. Just like Samsung tried to do it on Facebook and it was funny because it backfired when everyone was replying with iPhone, iPad and other devices. Focus on your stuff and you'll look a lot better. Trust me, showing a buch of people using NFC sharing pictures isn't going to make a lot of people want one. Show them stuff they will actually do often in real life. Not goon your friends have NFC and a compatible device.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree, I think Samsung's current marketing strategy is not the best. It would serve them better (I guess, I'm not a marketing expert) to promote their products on their own merits.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It's part of a larger plan, really... the commercials bashing on Apple, and the GSIII at 0$ for the second weekend of the iPhone 5, and probably other likely strategies that I don't know of because I really don't care that much about Samsung. Clearly aiming at consumers in need of a new contract or phone, Samsung is certainly trying to move its product... but Samsung is also trying to slow down Apple. To have people reconsider. Why should I wait in line or after new stocks, why should I pay 200$, why should I "limit" myself to a 4" screen and LTE when those features and a "whole lot more" are already there on the market - and will be offered for free now? That's what Samsung wants the consumer to ask himself.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
6 months from now - a GSIII will be worth what on the open market vs. when new?? And 6 months from now, how much will an iPhone5 be worth on the open market compared to when new?

very true, a used GS3 is selling for about 350 on Craigslist ( south Fl ), let's try and sell the iPhone 5 in three months, sure it will be at least 550 for the 16gb....

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It's part of a larger plan, really... the commercials bashing on Apple, and the GSIII at 0$ for the second weekend of the iPhone 5, and probably other likely strategies that I don't know of because I really don't care that much about Samsung. Clearly aiming at consumers in need of a new contract or phone, Samsung is certainly trying to move its product... but Samsung is also trying to slow down Apple. To have people reconsider. Why should I wait in line or after new stocks, why should I pay 200$, why should I "limit" myself to a 4" screen and LTE when those features and a "whole lot more" are already there on the market - and will be offered for free now? That's what Samsung wants the consumer to ask himself.
The biggest flaw in these commercials in my opinion is that Samsung is really sort of shooting themselves in the foot. They are essentially giving the iPhone 5 and Apple free advertising by quite clearly referencing Apple products in comparison to Samsung's own. Not only that but by referencing Apple products, they are basically marking Apple as their competition. They are telling their consumers that Apple makes a good product and Samsung has to work to compete with them.

That is precisely the reason that Apple doesn't really make commercials like this anymore. They used to do this with the "I'm a Mac" campaign but they eventually figured out that they were sending the wrong message: that Windows is their direct competitor. Apple doesn't want the consumer to see ANYONE else as their competitor. They want to be seen as being in a class all of their own. That is the real genius (no pun intended, I swear) of Apple marketing.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The biggest flaw in these commercials in my opinion is that Samsung is really sort of shooting themselves in the foot. They are essentially giving the iPhone 5 and Apple free advertising by quite clearly referencing Apple products in comparison to Samsung's own. Not only that but by referencing Apple products, they are basically marking Apple as their competition. They are telling their consumers that Apple makes a good product and Samsung has to work to compete with them.

That is precisely the reason that Apple doesn't really make commercials like this anymore. They used to do this with the "I'm a Mac" campaign but they eventually figured out that they were sending the wrong message: that Windows is their direct competitor. Apple doesn't want the consumer to see ANYONE else as their competitor. They want to be seen as being in a class all of their own. That is the real genius (no pun intended, I swear) of Apple marketing.

As an iPhone 4 owner and a Galaxy S 3 owner, the commercials turn me off. It's essentially mocking a group of potential customers while secretly wishing you had that kind of devotion for your product.

It's enough to almost make me ditch my Galaxy S 3. Almost. It's a damn good phone. I like the 5 as well, I walk around all day with the demo at work, and the feeling of it is second to none. I wish Samsung would stop using crappy plastics.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal